PDA

View Full Version : Every once in a while I'll go to an estate sale....

junkaddict
07-27-2019, 07:40 PM
.....and run across something like this. There was a bunch of Starrett and Mitutoyo all priced at twice retail, Craftsman tools at 3 times retail, and I stumbled into this. No rhyme or reason to the pricing. I did not get anything else in the mad dash for the garage, anything underprice got snapped up in 30 seconds, but this made my day.

https://i.imgur.com/fD7WLNl.jpg

RB211
07-27-2019, 07:42 PM
Estate sales ran by companies apply Ebay pricing. I won't go to one.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

nickel-city-fab
07-27-2019, 07:55 PM
Estate sales ran by companies apply Ebay pricing. I won't go to one.

Have to admit I've never been to an estate sale, I'll have to learn how.

lakeside53
07-27-2019, 08:07 PM
Nice haul!

RB211
07-27-2019, 08:12 PM
I agree, nice tool post

lugnut
07-27-2019, 08:53 PM
Our Professional estate sale person in the little town I live in, on the Oregon coast, just happens to own and run a second hand store. You can bet that the best of the stuff in the estate sale ends up in his over priced store..

john hobdeclipe
07-27-2019, 09:42 PM
Would you like to double your money on that knurling tool? Just let me know!

junkaddict
07-27-2019, 10:40 PM
Would you like to double your money on that knurling tool? Just let me know!

That knurling tool is a keeper. I have been tooling up my lathe slowly. A few things I have found at estate sales, but most of the stuff I am just breaking down and buying it new. It is turning into an endless money pit. My lathe came with a KDK post, and couple holders. But this one is nicer, and it has a complete set of holders, so I'll save the other one as a backup.

Black Forest
07-28-2019, 07:13 AM
That knurling tool is a keeper. I have been tooling up my lathe slowly. A few things I have found at estate sales, but most of the stuff I am just breaking down and buying it new. It is turning into an endless money pit. My lathe came with a KDK post, and couple holders. But this one is nicer, and it has a complete set of holders, so I'll save the other one as a backup.

Read my signature line! :cool:

Erich
07-28-2019, 12:19 PM
Nice score. I have a KDK setup on my SB Heavy 10. I love it. Got hooked using them on a Hardinge HLV at work and now I am spoiled.

Rex
07-29-2019, 09:16 PM
I go to estate sales almost every week. Not all the ES companies know what stuff is called or worth. Sometimes they overlook things. The dusty old rotary table (Craftsman) was $20, and cleaned up like new in one afternoon. 4-jaw chuck, ditto, $10. 2 5-gallon jugs of cutting fluid $2 each. Often the deals are in the tooling they can't identify.

One had a nice mill-drill marked down to $300. I got it for $200 just because they were afraid they might have to move it themselves if it didn't sell ;)