PDA

View Full Version : OT - Email problems with Hotmail/Outlook

SteveF
08-23-2019, 07:32 AM
Have had a hotmail account for many years. A couple of days ago I logged in and just got a completely blank screen. Was hoping to give it a couple of days for Microsoft to fix whatever they screwed up but still can't get in. Using Windows 7 and Firefox 62. Everything worked perfectly fine until a couple of days ago.

So, anyone else having this problem?

Is there software I can use to download every message to my local harddrive so I am not screwed if this happens again and I can more easily switch to another email provider?

Suggestions for other good email providers? Personally feel that having a small number of very large companies dominating an industry is EXTREMELY bad for everyone in the end so won't even consider using Gmail.

Thanks.

Steve

Jon Heron
08-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Mine is still working fine, both through the Evolution client and through the chrome browser.
Maybe try resetting your cache and cookies?
Cheers,
Jon

studentjim
08-23-2019, 08:46 AM
Mine is working fine. I use outlook and gmail with no problems. Chrome browser.

skunkworks
08-23-2019, 11:21 AM
I use the Thunderbird email client. Works great!

https://www.thunderbird.net/

Excellent
08-23-2019, 12:01 PM
Cleared your cache and tried loading the page (and logging in) again? Tried a different browser?

SteveF
08-23-2019, 06:56 PM
Yeah, first thing I did was clear the cache and history. Tried five or six times and just a blank page after logging in. Upgraded FireFox from 62 to 68, same problem.

Works fine with Safari except there is a completely different appearance to the screen. Just tried and works fine with IE 11.

This is why I am glad I'm retired from the computer industry. Companies can't just make something that works and then leave it the hell alone.

CVS just changed from a touch tone system for med refills to a voice recognition one. So now a med refill request takes two to three times longer to submit than before!!!

Steve

Bob La Londe
08-23-2019, 07:56 PM
I dropped all the main stream readers a couple years ago and went to Thunderbird. It was a little awkward getting used to the changes, but it directly supports all my email. Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, and POP/SMTP. I even use it for Usenet. I never figured out how to get it to use a password for Usenet, but one of my Usenet servers let me in without one.

On my cell phone I always used the native mail reader, but the last update or two of Google's Android OS is geared to FORCE YOU KICKING AND SCREAMING AGAINST YOUR WILL to use a lot of their services and servers. K-9 turned out to be my mail reader of choice under Android. Its not ideal, but allows me to access my POP servers without allowing Google to spy on every email I write.

PStechPaul
08-23-2019, 09:31 PM
When I abandoned dial-up and switched to Verizon FIOS, I used their email server name@verizon.net, until they changed their policy and used AOL mail. However, I could still use the verizon.net email address, which worked with my Windows Live Mail client. When I adopted Win10, WLM was phased out, and the native Win10 app was crappy. So I switched to Thunderbird, which does also work for usenet. Around the first of the year, I decided to use my own domains and 1and1.com server for email, so I no longer had to redirect email to the Verizon (AOL) server. I also had redirects to one of my Google gmail accounts.

I first encountered the issue of losing emails due to lack of local storage when I helped a friend with AOL dial-up. I found that you had to specifically request emails to be downloaded and stored indefinitely on his computer - otherwise they were soon deleted from the AOL server.

I don't think I ever had a hotmail or yahoo email account, and I only have the gmail account to access YouTube and other services. I think I have incoming messages on gmail redirected to one of my own accounts. I use a catch-all" for my email, so I get mail sent o my official "paul@example.com" address, as well as "whatever@example.com". So I get a lot of spam, but I don't usually lose anything. However, recently I had sent an invoice to a company I have dealt with for many years, and called them when the invoice went unpaid and unacknowledged for more than 30 days. Turned out they had only whitelisted my Verizon account, and those from my own domain wound up in their junk folder.

SteveF
08-25-2019, 06:29 PM
Looks like I need to check out Thunderbird.

Thanks for the responses.

Steve

MichaelP
08-25-2019, 07:39 PM
Steve, I have the same setup as yours and also noticed that Hotmail doesn't behave normally after the last update. Sometimes it's a blank screen. More often it's a need to repeat clicking on e-mail to open it.

And their spam filters just don't work. The problem with massive spam attacks started about 6 months ago. Then it slowly tapered down over a course of 2 months. Now it's on the rise again.

SteveF
08-26-2019, 06:06 PM
Sure enough I just tried to log into Hotmail with FireFox and it's all working fine again.

Sure glad all these 26 year old MBAs are doing such a great job "increasing shareholder value" by outsourcing the jobs of skilled American programmers to low paid, low skill people who can barely program.

Rant off.

Steve