PDA

View Full Version : Casting steel, stainless.

'Slinger
06-18-2002, 05:23 PM
Is there any sort of fairly inexpensive way to melt small amounts of steel for pouring? I'd say no more than 5 lbs. at a time. Anyone here know? Is there any place that makes a small furnace or something with those capabilities? Thanks.

'Slinger out.

Sprocket
06-18-2002, 10:05 PM
There was an article in HSM about Steve Chastain and his small cupola furnace. His book is advertised in HSM and also Lindsey books. There are some other books in Lindsey about small steel furnaces. Hot stuff!

Rotate
06-19-2002, 12:58 AM
I've researching this topic recently. It seems to me that you can cast aluminum or bronze parts without too much trouble in your backyard but casting ferrous metal is considerably more difficult and dangerous. Try contacting some local casting shops. The shops in my area will take even small jobs but they all have minimum "setup" charge.

Albert

Thrud
06-19-2002, 01:04 AM
No, there is no inexpensive way to do it. Yes, you can buy commercial melt furnaces - you do not want to ask the price. If you want to pursue this MAKE DAMN SURE YOU GET ALL THE PROPER SAFETY GEAR AND USE IT PROPERLY!

I am not joking. Pouring steel and Iron is dangerous and not to be taken lightly. If you do go forward I suggest you have several inches of dry sand over your concrete floor to prevent explosions from spills. Concrete does not like having molten steel or iron poured on it - believe it.

JasonW
06-19-2002, 03:55 AM
Like Thrud said be careful. My dad works in a foundry. They have 5 small funaces, I forget the capacity. One furnace blew up last year while a guy standing near by. He was off work for over a year with some nasty burns. He has the scars to prove it.

On the flip side, I can usually get scrap pieces which is nice. They pour a lot of SS. They just ran a test on an import knurling toolI had. They figured it was 1020 and a Birnell test showed it was not that hard. They were not used to seeing such low grade steel. One more reason why I made my own knurling tool.

------------------

'Slinger
06-19-2002, 11:52 AM
Thanks a lot guys, you've been most helpful, I think I'll be adding steel foundry to my "Things NOT to do." list. And thrud, yeah, I've seen how much those commercial furnaces go for, and it ain't pretty! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif Thanks for the help!

'Slinger out.