PDA

View Full Version : Have gun (Sandman) yo

gunsmith
10-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Question. On the top of the Warner & Swasey #4 is the preselector rotary dial. Do you by any chance have the chart that goes in there? Mine is wiped out. I could make a new one if I could get some dimensions or a copy of the original chart.

tattoomike68
10-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Darn I dont think ours is a #4 it has about a 4" spindle bore and was made to make 90mm brass shell casing in the old war days.

on the top there are just just 3 levers, there are some brass charts on the machine I could take a picture for you if they are what you need, but I dont think it has a rotary selector unless you mean feed rates for the tail turret.

we might share some info on this topic, we need to re-babbit the worm drive in the tailstock rapid traverse and it has not been done in 20+ years so nobody is quite sure how to do it.

I hope to learn a few things.

sandman2234
10-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Have to take a look around and see if I can find what your looking for. Might take a couple days to look through all my junk.
David

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

gunsmith
10-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Tattoomike: The unit I am talking about, the # 4 has a single leaver for shifting and preselection of the next gear for production purposes. It takes the place of all the levers you have on yours. Sandman has a similar machine to mine with the single lever shift. On the top is a drum with all your gear selections along with a chart and is rotated by a had wheel. It is the chart that is missing on mine. Everthing else is still there and working. Tattoo, you wouldn't have a spare turret or tails stock that might fit or could be adapted would you???

tattoomike68
10-13-2004, 07:11 PM
no extra part here!

sandman2234
10-13-2004, 10:24 PM
When I got mine, there were two of them, and I was given the option of first pick.
The owner said several times both machines were the same. I took one look and walked back into his office and told him that they weren't. He had to walk out to see for himself! In fact, one #4, one #5. I picked the #4 even though the chuck didn't come with it. The #5 had a chuck, but hadn't been run, and when I found out where it came from I was scared of it. When the #5 was finally run, it has a gear broke in the head, which is about up to par for the owner that it came from before my friend got it. The new owner of the #5 made a comment the other day that if he runs out of space, he will have to send it to me.
If he does, we will have some parts to work with. Might happen, might never happen, but I try to keep my options open.
As far as a chuck on the #4, I finally talked him into letting me leave the flatback air chuck on it, with the option that he could come get it if he needed it. He hadn't used needed it in several years, so I had a good chance of them never coming after it. He just sold all the other machines, but may be helping start another shop, so I am kind of leary about my chuck.
David from jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

gunsmith
10-14-2004, 06:35 PM
I now have a one man shop. It's about 50% to keep pase with my bad habits, telephone bill, hydro, heat, taxes and food. The rest of the time it's for pleasure. What are you using your # 4 at?

sandman2234
10-15-2004, 01:13 AM
Really not using it. I tend to find things to do with a mill, and seldom use a lathe. Not even sure I could turn one on!!!!(lol)
I have the #4 and a Tabletop Southbend 9a, and neither of them get used much.
I just prefer running the bridgeport.
If I ever get the Maho some power to eat, I might even give up on the bridgeport.Mine is strickly a homeshop, doing jobs for that I want to do.
I looked around in my extra junk a while ago, and don't have the paper tube that you need. Mine is in good shape, but no extra one for you. I will keep an eye out for one for you.
By the way, the air chuck on mine is an SMW chuck. Couldn't remember the name of it on the last post.
David from jax

[This message has been edited by sandman2234 (edited 10-15-2004).]

BillH
10-15-2004, 09:49 AM
This is interesting. On other forums I used to visit, gun related, the few people who decided to get into machining for gun related parts always bought the Mill first. You would think the Lathe would get used more, but no, they are always on their mill. One kid bought the Enco blue mill/drill just so he could finish 80% Ar15 recievers to use a loophole in his States laws. Law stated you can make your own guns. another law said you couldn't own Ar15's. Well, technically he didn't own and Ar15, it was a NameXXX 001. Hehe. Another guy has his Class 2 FFL and spends every day legally converting guns to fully automatic with a crappy little Enco 3 in 1.

sandman2234
10-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Since Reagan signed that blasted bill back in '86, that mill drill probably doesn't see as much work.
One of those hind sight things, but I wish I had done a lot of converting back then. If I had of converted 100 guns, I could have probably retired by selling them now. $20,000 investment in ATF stamps and $5,000 in receivers would probably have very easily allowed me to retire comfortably. and the prices are still going up. How many other investments can you think of net a half million with $25K original investment in 20 years?
David from jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

sandman2234
10-16-2004, 04:53 PM
How much of it do you have? Do you just need the part with the writing on it, or the whole hat looking thing?
David from jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

gunsmith
10-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Sandman: All I need is the paper or what ever it was that showed the speed and feed numbers. I am presuming it was just a paper with this on it. Everything else is in tact. I could probably duplicate it if I could find the figures and some idea of the spacing between the figures. The rest I could gage from what I have. The outer frame with the embossed figures is still good and so is the glass and the drum to fasten it to on the inside. Any help would be great.

sandman2234
10-17-2004, 05:41 AM
So if I borrow a camera, and shoot pictures of each frame of it, you would be able to remake it?
It may be paper, but looks like carboard, or really thick paper. Mine isn't in that great of shape, but it is readable to the most part.
Don't know how a photo will turn out, have to experiment.
David from jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

gunsmith
10-17-2004, 07:23 PM
That sounds great Sandaman. All I need the photos for is to get the proper sequence of numbers on the scales. There must be 12 scales if I remember right. The physical dimensions I can calculate based on the metal scale on either side of the opening between the glass. With modern coated indexable cutters these scales won't be all that much use but as a guide they could be helpfull for my older HSS cutters and finishing. Thanks