PDA

View Full Version : Some pics of the "new" lathe

hoffman
10-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the pre-purchase advice. I think it'll be a good little machine to goof around with. About the only other lathe in my $$ range was one of the 9 x 20 asians which I'd have trouble living with.
It needs a 3/4 hp 1740 rpm motor plus tooling, a drill chuck, and a back plate for the 3 jaw. Funny, it came with 2 chucks and one chuck wrench which doesn't fit either... I sort of blew my savings so I'll just be cleaning and looking at it for a few weeks.
Any advice on where to round up some tooling? It has a 1.5/8 spindle nose with a 10" swing.
Some pics:
http://motorhead.iwarp.com/lathe/lathe.html

G.A. Ewen
10-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Nice little machine http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif
If you have to change the V belts I highly recommend PowerTwist Plus from Fenner Drives. They are available from KBC Tools and Machinery. Very smooth running and you don't have to remove the spindle.

PSD KEN
10-17-2004, 02:32 PM
GEEZZ! A lousy washing machine taking precedence over a lathe???
Cute lil' guy, about what I need.
Where did you find it?
I check Ebay, but every thing seems to be on the right coast, and I'm on the other one.

Pete B
10-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Hoffman, I just posted on the other board about your new machine, and then I found your pics. It looks in pretty good shape. Just a little info for you. The spindle thread is 1.5 x 8 you can buy backplates this size or just buy a 6 inch 3 jaw with the thread already. the open space on the back side of you crosslide came with a cover that just slips on the 2 pins that are there. Im sure you can fab. one up for little or no $. Just keep on eye out for used tooling and you will be up and running in no time. Pete

Dave Opincarne
10-17-2004, 03:06 PM
I prefer laquer to carb cleaner, less of a headache. Great web site! Very nice little lathe

Dave

hoffman
10-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Hey Pete, is it hard to slide the levers on your qc gear box? This one's a bugger but it may just need de-gunking and lube.
I found it on ebay for pretty cheap. You can do a refined searck for a certain distance from your zip code and a price range. I just did 250 miles for a while until I hit on this one.

wierdscience
10-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Nice machine,has REAL bearings instead of cast iron bores.

Pete B
10-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Hoffman, My qc box operates fairly smooth, there is a little wear on the gears but it shifts well. Did you want dimensions on that gib? If you dont mind me asking what is the lathe worth these days? I gave 1600 for mine 12 years ago its set up on a cabinet with coolant and was very well tooled. although I dont have a live center for between center work, and I'd love to find a steady and follow rest. Missed out last week on a collet closer and collets on E-bay but I didnt think they where worth as much as they went for. Pete

ulav8r
10-17-2004, 11:16 PM
Sorry to tell you this, but you need a special belt between the motor and lower drive pulley for the variable speed. The belt is about an inch wide. I don't have the info handy, it is on a hard drive that is virus infested and therefor disconnected. The pulley on the motor will also be special.

wierdscience
10-17-2004, 11:25 PM
No special belt for that type,I have one similar made by Love-joy,notice the radial slots?Thats so the two halves can close up tighter than the standard Reeves type VS belt drive which gives you the same wide ratio as the Reeves,but in a smaller cross section belt.Mine carries a standard "B" section belt and is good for 3hp.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 10-17-2004).]

hoffman
10-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Weird Science is right. It came with the manual and the bench model uses a funky belt. The cabinet model has a different deal and uses common V's. I got lucky there. Thanks Pete, but I just cut a piece off an old framing square and made a gib. It's 3/8 x 6. I just dyed one side and ran the screws in to mark it and spotted the 2 end holes with a 1/4 drill. Works smooth as glass. The key in the tailstock was gone so I cut a piece off 1/8 thick angle iron and did a lot of filing to get it 1/8 x 1/8. I'm glad I got one of those chinese cutoff saws in preparation for the lathe. Beats the h#ll out of a hacksaw. I'm real happy with the tailstock also. Spin the crank and it freewheels right out. It was REALLY tight when I brought it home. One strange thing that's pretty cheesy is the leadscrew tumbler. You have to move it into position and tighten a bolt to hold it and keep it from jumping out. (This is spinning it by hand.) I gotta rig up some kind of detent for it maybe something similar to the SB lever. Oh yea, I paid $700 for it and it took about $20 worth of gas to pick it up. I'm thinking that's a fair price. Anyway, I'm happy with it. It came with no motor, a mounted 4-jaw, a 3-jaw with no adapter, a big center drill (About 3/4, is that a #1? I forget...), a rocker post with two holders, a live and dead center and 3 wrenches that don't seem to fit anything...

[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 10-18-2004).]

ARFF79
10-18-2004, 01:21 AM
Hoffman, I did not see the variable motor pully in any of your pics. If you are not able to find one,or Delta can't sell you one, you can do what was done at one of my prior employers. We had a Clausing 12" VS that would not hold speeds so they replaced the variable drive pullies with a 2 4-step sheeves and 2 2-step sheeves and added an intermeidiate jack shaft and new bracket and a tensioner to give the lathe 8 speeds. With a back gear this would be doubled.