View Full Version : blueprint help

10-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Hi everyone I am new here to this site. I was formerly a machinist for nine years untill recently being hired by a heavy duty truck manufacturer. I have applied for an inspectors position within the company and will be tested soon. Currently about 20 people have failed this test which I have been told is mostly blueprint reading.I can read prints but don't know everything inside and out about blueprints can anyone give me some insight on some basic things with prints. Thank you

Forrest Addy
10-19-2004, 06:35 PM
It used to take me two years to teach people how to read blueprints in night school. There's no way I could pass on what you need to know in text on a screen in a couple of sessions. You need to study from an aythorative source.

Used to be the standard for interpreting plans and drawings was ANSI 14.5Y. I imagine it's been superceded by ISO 9003 or some such.

Find a copy of ANSI 14.5Y in the library and study up. This is not a dry as dust technical reference. It's also well written for the end user.

Good luck on your test.

10-19-2004, 06:57 PM
I (at one time) was a quality inspector for a company that supplied Rockwell. I would guess that there would be major amount of geometric tolerance on the test. The parts we made were covered with that type of hieroglyphics. In fact, once you get used to it, they are not so bad.

I would go with what Forrest Andy said. Get yourself a book and read on. I would think that your local university / community college would have a copy in the stacks. Go and ask, the gal at the library where I taught was very nice, even if you didn’t have a current id. Of course, she was dam cute as well. Made me want to research more. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Dave Opincarne
10-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Where to begin?!?! Without more information I wouldn't know where to begin. What kind of stuff can you interpret now? Know how to read section views? Geometric tolerences?

Narrow it down a little so we can help

Good luck


10-19-2004, 09:27 PM
Thank you everyone for your help maybe I can be more specific. I do understand geometric tolerencing and I do have some books including basic blueprint reading. A friend of mine had said to me about the GRID system on a print. What is that and what are the letters and numbers for on the edges of the print. As far as different views like sectional views I do understand them. I know basic welding symbols and symbols like symmetry and flatness etc. I understand where to find the title block and the scale of the print the rev levels and the side notes also the surface finishes required on the part. I just thought maybe they're was something I was missing to the BASIC blueprint.Thank you again

10-19-2004, 10:10 PM
The letters and numbers on the edge of a print allow anyone to reference a portion of the print by the X Y coordinates of the part of the drawing in question. When I refer to the dimension at R-14 you then know where to look on the print to find it. This is commonly used on all kinds of technical drawings.

10-19-2004, 10:20 PM
What I can tell you in one session..

If you lay blueprints on the dash of your truck they become invisible.

*(happened to me in 1974 and I thought someone was playing tricks)

David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

10-19-2004, 11:03 PM
I would hazard a guess that, particularly for anything to do with QA type positions the main thrust of a test would be GD&T. Thats Geometric dimensioning & tolerancing. All those symbols relating to rms surface finish, etc, etc....there's a hell of alot to know about this...I had to deal with it briefly a few years back and found a good little pocket (i.e. idiots) guide someplace....might be worth looking at if you have the time to find & get one....

good luck man,