PDA

View Full Version : Help with Warner & Swasey #4

gunsmith
09-29-2004, 06:54 PM
I have ordered the books but don't have the patients to wait. I have most everything figured out on the #4 model 1420. For the life of me I can not figure out how to engage the chuck. I can rotate the chuck but it does not turn the motor. The transmission inside is turning however. I cant find a neutral leaver or the lever to engage the chuck. There is a lever on top for the brake and neutral but his neutral seems to be for the speeds. Any body with one or knows this unit?

jcurrell
09-30-2004, 10:02 AM
the cluch plates may need to be tightened,tack the cover plate off the top and thier are two cluches in the head stock each has a pin that is in a recess that gets pulled out a little to allow turning of the assembly each one is only tuned one or two holes and it should be the as for both to keep the lever in the centre

------------------

rbjscott
09-30-2004, 11:30 AM
Some times those machines were a little difficult to get in gear. Select a mid range speed and pull the clutch-gear selector handle all the way down and push it away from you. Then pull it to you, usually one clutch will work. If I remember right it has forward and reverse clutches as the post above says. (35 years ago)Be a little firm with the gear changing. Those are good machines and forgiving.

gunsmith
09-30-2004, 06:50 PM
JC & RB

I am presuming you mean the lever on top that has two positions. One is "brake" and the other says "neutral". When I pull down it does engage the gears but not the chuck. This is a spring loaded leaver. If the machine is in operation will this leaver stay down or do you have to hold it? Right now I am waiting for a new single faze motor so I cant fire it up yet. I can feel the resistance increase on the chuck as the gears are changed. I was actualy looking for another lever. This one I thought was more like the foot brake is on my newer machine.

beckley23
09-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Is this a pre-selector head? I don't know much about them, but I can do some checking.
Harry

sandman2234
09-30-2004, 09:29 PM
Might this be the lever your talking about?
David from jax

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/sandman2234/WarnerandSwasey.jpg

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

rbjscott
10-01-2004, 08:18 AM
The pages Sandman sent from the manual says it all. Let us know how machine works.Did you get any tooling with the machine, such as turret slide heads. As a side note I had to make 250, 3/4 pipe unions halves to get a raise from minimum wage. I thought I was big stuff when I did!!

sandman2234
10-01-2004, 11:24 AM
That is just one page of a Service Manual for a 3/4/5 that I got with my #4.
I didn't think it would be wise to copy the whole manual and post it here. I can just hear the dial up people screaming...
David from jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

gunsmith
10-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Still my favorit show and thanks Sandman. That is the machine I have but I wasn't aware until I seen the diagrams all the directions that lever moved. My unit was rebuilt by Botwink Brothers in Newhaven Con. about 1975 and then never used again. She has a brand new 12" 4 jaw with only surface rust and most of her packing grease still in place. Only thing missing is the bed turret. It does contain some strange marking though. One is " WAR FINISH AS DIRECTED BY ORDER L-108 U.S. WAR PRODUCTION BOARD". There is a casting hole of about 1.5" running right through here head. Would this be for a sky hook for changing chucks maybe? Tooling, well I have some of my own but when I figure out what I need I will be looking. Possibly some trading. That drum dial is missing her numbers inside the face plate. Not sure what I'm going to do there. Possibly there is a reproduction of the card somewhere. She still has her original service card from the factory attatched to the back showing service scheduals.

ARFF79
10-02-2004, 12:52 AM
The hole in the head casting should be located in the rear and is for the the guide bar that fits into the different multiple turning tool heads that are used on your non-existant turret. It is the production equivelant to a follow rest, only it supports the tooling and not the work.

Look around on eBay for W&S books on running a turret lathe. The information contained within is useful for planning set ups on an engine lathe as well as how to run a turret lathe.

sandman2234
10-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Get your manuals yet, or do you need another page to keep you busy?
David from jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

gunsmith
10-08-2004, 07:21 PM
No not yet, but I did get confirmation they are on the way. There is a question though. I have seen pictures showing a handle sticking out of a hole at the bottom of the head stock near were the leaver is that sets the feed stop. It looks like a starter crank for an old car. Did this come as a gas model as well? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif By the way Sandman those last set of pages on the control leaver did the trick. I was able to get everthing to engage. Wicked complicated tranny on these machines. I have a tag on the cover for adjusting the clutches but I still haven't fugured that one out yet. Maybe alright any way. Once the motor is installed I can check then.

sandman2234
10-11-2004, 09:12 PM
#34???

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/sandman2234/WarnerandSwasey9.jpg

David from Jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

gunsmith
10-12-2004, 07:15 PM
It arrived today. The book. Tonight I will read and all will be reveilled. Thanks for the preliminary Sandman. By the way how can I fugure out the age of my machine? Is it in the book?

Finnbear
10-12-2004, 08:42 PM
Watch eBay for tooling. You will find all sorts of stuff there. I have a service manual for a "No.4 model M-1420 lots 1 to 259 incl" that came with a lot of manuals I bought to get the correct ones for my No.3. The rear cover is torn but I'd let it go cheap as I have no use for it. I also have Service Manuals for a 1A Model m-470 and a 2A Model M-510 that I'd like to unload or trade on tooling.
Mark Greer

sandman2234
10-27-2004, 12:58 AM
An email containing the pictures you wanted is enroute. Let me know how they turned out.
David from jax
Finnbear,
What do you want for all of the manuals?
------------------
Have gun, will travel.

[This message has been edited by sandman2234 (edited 10-27-2004).]