PDA

View Full Version : Machinery auctions in Washington State?

gundog
10-30-2004, 04:43 PM
How can I find out about machinery auctions in Washington State Seattle, Vancouver or Portland, Or. or anywhere in between? Or used machinery dealers same area.
Mike

Toolbert
10-30-2004, 05:14 PM
In western WA the warehouse dealers are all gone. There are small outfits I'm not familiar with. Maybe somebody else can help.

Check my Seattle links page at
http://dogpatch.com/bobp/bobfaq.htm

There is a northwest auction listing page at:
http://www.capitalpress.com/directory/auctions/All/index.htm

Most of my shop was bought at Murphy auctions and Boeing Surplus over the 90's. Murphy is still the preferred industrial auctioneer but machine shop auctions are getting rare around here. Murphy's semi-monthly Yard auction in Kenmore WA usually has some machine shop equipment.

Murphy is generally fair, honest and helpful. Most of the others I've dealt with are the opposite.

Murphy:
http://www.murphyauction.com/

Couple other oufits:
http://www.ehliauctions.com/
http://fife.ableauctions.com/

Finally check the auctions classifieds in the Seattle Times/PI:
http://classifieds.nwsource.com/class/search.cfm?pid=9&class=471&mg

Bob

[This message has been edited by Toolbert (edited 10-30-2004).]

ibewgypsie
10-30-2004, 05:40 PM
All the best deals on in the North eastern USA.

Seems to me..

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

gundog
10-30-2004, 05:59 PM
I have been watching the classifieds in the Portland, Or / Vancouver, Wa area and have not found any good machinery auctions. I also have not found any used machinery dealers to speak of. I travel to see my boy he is in the Navy stationed in the Seattle area Bremerton so I could always go to an auction up that way. I would like to steal a Bridgport type mill for next to nothing. I know dream on. Thanks Bob for all of those links it looks like you have got some nice machines at auction. I registered with Murphy for e-mail notifications.
Thanks Mike

Ries
10-30-2004, 07:33 PM
As toolbert said- there are no used machinery dealers left in western wa- there is one place left in Quincy wa, over east of the mountains, but he specializes in the oddball, enormous, and expensive.
When there were dealers here, there still werent any cheap bridgeports. Before Hallidie closed, they had worn out bridgeports with the tables full of holes- $3500 to $7000.
Auctions are rare. Hell, machine shops are rare.
Check the little nickel regularly, check the online classified for the Seattle, Tacoma, and Portland papers. Stuff comes up, but you gotta be vigilant, and quick.
Prices on the west coast in general, and that includes LA, seem to run 2 or 3 times as much as east of the Rockies. Sometimes its worth it to pay for shipping, and buy something from back east- but it has to be something that is easy to check for quality. A few years ago I bought a 12ga Chicago Finger Brake- maybe once a year, one came up for sale in Wa- asking price around $4500. I found one in Houston for $2700 + 500 freight- It still was a deal as far as I was concerned. Obviously, this doesnt make sense for $300 items. But for bigger stuff, the deals you can find in other parts of the country are so much better, it is worth paying to ship.
You also could try subscribing to Machinery Journal- it is the California free advertising magazine for machinery dealers. There are more bridgeports for sale down there, cheaper, but still not cheap.
Go to machinetools.com, go to their magazine section, and there are something like 75 magazines you can subscribe to online. Machinery Journal is free, monthly, new and used machine tools.

ibewgypsie
10-30-2004, 07:58 PM
In Chattanooga Tn a pretty nice manual bridgeport went for $600.. I was moving things by myself and didn't want to move it. Depends on who you are talking to and how much money they want to make off you..

I did buy two punch presses, and a factory Rousselle punch press I moved, along with a chain conveyor ($100) *I used the inverter off it. I ended up with tons of stuff the building owner wanted rid of because I am a nice guy and cleaned up the electrical disaster they left (bare hot wires) We have thousands of feet of tubing we cut down, but had to pay some kids to help. ($700)

We have a Index cnc (3hp) at the shop getting dusty.. Check out my homepage.. I am ashamed what I got it for.. But I need it like a hole in the head. Will Trade it for a nice car (classic), land, used light bulbs (anything of value). It is powered up and can test run. "Dicker time"...

It'd take a tow vehicle and a car trailer to move it. (we have a dodge V10 and trailer.) it is heavy.. I removed the head to unload it. Gas is expensive right now. And that thing has a appetite like nobodys business. It does holler thou. Twins stacks... fifth wheel.. chrome simulators.. yeah.. chrome fenderskirts..

I have been going to auctions regular like. I can find about anything anyone wants at them, just when is the word.. I am out of storage room.. I won't buy it if I can't make a buck or two and have room to put it..

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

MarshSt
10-30-2004, 09:56 PM
Pretty slim pickins here in WA. Like everyone else said the best prices seem to be back east. The E-Bay prices seem really cheap compared to what people are asking around here. All of the stuff (what little there is)in the Little Nickle and the Buy and Sell is way overpriced. Murphy has had quite a few auctions around here but I never made it to one to check it out. As far as local dealers the couple I dealt with were next to worthless, probably not even in business any more. I looked for a long time to find my lathe and had to settle and pay too much just cause I couldn't wait any longer.I lucked out and bought a used Enco mill from my old shop last year. As soon as I get the power situation resolved my mill-drill is outa here.Like the others said keep your eyes open and act FAST if you see what you want, there are way more buyers than sellers.
Good Luck,
Steve

[This message has been edited by MarshSt (edited 10-30-2004).]

DR
10-31-2004, 12:01 AM
FYI, the Murphy auction last Tuesday had some bargains. Lots of good condition tooling that was going low. Got a couple of expensive grinding fixtures for $200 each. The few machines went a little more than I expected.