PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used these, I found one cheap.

Amity
11-01-2004, 05:24 PM
I found somthing in the local paper that looks to be a Harbor Freight (China) 3 function Brake/slip roll/sheer. I found it for $190 and want to get it but if it is more trouble than it is worth I will pass. I really am hoping it will sheer 20 gauge, I know it will bend it from the design of it, the slip roll is new to me so any opinions on one?
Here is link. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5907

ibewgypsie
11-01-2004, 05:30 PM
We got one in our shop.. It won't roll the thick metal I make rear fenders from.. I am building a slip roll from solid 3" rolls.

It had a cracked bed from day one, they traded it out even thou we had it for six months. I think it should be bolted to a rigid piece of metal/channel/ibeam or ? Perhaps some tubing with legs..

For a simple job, a simple tool will suffice. It has not done anything I wanted to do yet..

If you are short on space, want to bend, roll and shear real light metal well it may be good enough. I think we gave about that much for ours.

Amity
11-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Thanks, do you think it would sheer 20 gauge?

Ted Coffey
11-01-2004, 05:54 PM
My experience with imports is that ratings are overstated. If it says 20 gauge I assume 22 gauge as the limit. I have one of these and I think 20 is a stretch unless the material is annealed and then only occasional use. I asked a Grizzly store manager about machine ratings when I saw a broken foot shear in one of their stores and he confirmed that the ratings are overstated.

Arcane
11-01-2004, 06:55 PM
I have one and it definitely will not shear a full width of 20 gauge steel. 22 gauge is pretty well max for it and I have never been happy with what I could do with it. I use it occasionally but I wish I had saved my money and bought something...anything...else.

ibewgypsie
11-01-2004, 07:15 PM
I wish, since Harbor freight guarantees satisfaction we would have a day to try out the tools they sell..

That would solve a lot of problems.. We have quite a few of thier tools that never get used. Some, like the cheapo grinders died within a few minutes of using them the first time. NameBrands like Makita and Milwaukee work great.. they are bargains regardless of where you buy them..

A few of the tools there at HF work.. Some don't.
David

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

CCWKen
11-01-2004, 08:27 PM
The 40" will shear 20ga. Of course, it's "rated" 18ga. You have to make sure it's tuned. The shear blade tends to bow or move if the gap is too wide or not parallel to the die. They don't cut the length all at once. They cut like hand shears or scissors--On an angle.

As with any fine tool "kit" from HF, they need to be fine tuned. Make sure there's no play in the down stroke that would allow the blade to move away from the die.

shawnspeed
11-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Am in agreement with others,will not shear 20 ga full width without some mods. Experienced cracked shear table, made new one from 1018cr 1" thick w/gusset on bottom,just like original. part was easily made in 1/2 day on BP . used original shear blade. now shears full width 4130 in 18 ga.

Don Clement
11-04-2004, 02:15 PM
I have a similar 12" wide model, bought from HF a number of years ago. Good tool for the money. Cuts up to 0.012 spring tempered SS. I also use the roll feature to put a 1" radius on 0.030" brass strips.

Don Clement
Running springs, California