X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Georgeo
    • Oct 2001

Yet another computer problem

I can't open any PDF files! I try to open the site, get as far as the Acrobat 6.0.1 patent page, but then my computer "freezes", won't do anything without a shut down and restart. Please, if you can help, keep it simple; I'm really not good at this. BTW, I'm on Windows ME.
    Many thanks
    George
  • Ted Coffey
    • Mar 2004

Uninstall acrobat reader and reinstall.

Comment

• jkilroy
      • Oct 2001

Look carefully. There is probably a little box BEHIND your browser that is asking if you want to update your Acrobat. Your machine is not locked up, just wating on input.

------------------
      James Kilroy
      James Kilroy

Comment

• Georgeo
        • Oct 2001

Ted, sorry to bother with another dumb question, but where can I get Acrobat to reinstall? Used to show up on a lot of sites, but I haven't seen it lately. Thanx again
        George

Comment

• Ian B
          • Dec 2002

Georgeo,

Try www.oldversion.com

They have older versions of software for download. In the case of Adobe Reader, I use v4.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see the point of installing v6 with all its additional baggage, when v4 (or even v3) do all that I need - ie. read pdf's. The older versions open quicker too.

Ian
          All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

• chkz
            • Oct 2003

George, if you've got any software cd's kicking around...even some games and such, pop one of them in the drive and see if acrobat reader is on them....alot of times its there to read "readme files" and so forth.....saves you downloading, particularly if you're on dialup.

Chris

Comment

• Allan Waterfall
              • Feb 2004

Probably available on Adobe web site........

Allan

Comment

• JRouche
                • Aug 2004

Also, are you trying to view the PDF file online? If the file is very large it will stall, even with a very fast connection. Try right clicking on the link and save it to your computer then view it. JRouche

Download free Adobe Acrobat Reader software for your Windows, Mac OS and Android devices to view, print, and comment on PDF documents.

[This message has been edited by JRouche (edited 11-03-2004).]

Comment

• darryl
                  • Jan 2003

I hate acrobat. It's the slowest, most annoying piece of software that I've had the displeasure of using.
                  The best luck I've had with it was before I installed version 4. Since then, it's become worst than ever. Why do we still have to use it?
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• Evan
                    • May 2003

Ditto! A PDF file has the singular distinction of single handedly turning a high speed connection into a dial-up.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 11-04-2004).]
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• Ryobiguy
                      • Sep 2003

Adobe PDF - great if you want to print something out. Stinks if you want to just read a page or two. What really gets me mad is the automatic "upgrade" it always tries to do - it always tries to sucker me into hitting OK on the "upgrade" to some new app which isn't even for displaying PDFs. Sorry Adobe, but you lose. At least it's a hair faster than MS Word - that's the absolute worst thing to use to load up some docs with.

Comment

• Ted Coffey
                        • Mar 2004

George,
                        Try this link.
                        Download free Adobe Acrobat Reader software for your Windows, Mac OS and Android devices to view, print, and comment on PDF documents.

Comment

Working...
                        X