PDA

View Full Version : Yet another computer problem

Georgeo
11-03-2004, 11:15 AM
I can't open any PDF files! I try to open the site, get as far as the Acrobat 6.0.1 patent page, but then my computer "freezes", won't do anything without a shut down and restart. Please, if you can help, keep it simple; I'm really not good at this. BTW, I'm on Windows ME.
Many thanks
George

Ted Coffey
11-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Uninstall acrobat reader and reinstall.

jkilroy
11-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Look carefully. There is probably a little box BEHIND your browser that is asking if you want to update your Acrobat. Your machine is not locked up, just wating on input.

------------------
James Kilroy

Georgeo
11-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Ted, sorry to bother with another dumb question, but where can I get Acrobat to reinstall? Used to show up on a lot of sites, but I haven't seen it lately. Thanx again
George

Ian B
11-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Georgeo,

Try www.oldversion.com (http://www.oldversion.com)

They have older versions of software for download. In the case of Adobe Reader, I use v4.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see the point of installing v6 with all its additional baggage, when v4 (or even v3) do all that I need - ie. read pdf's. The older versions open quicker too.

Ian

chkz
11-03-2004, 04:05 PM
George, if you've got any software cd's kicking around...even some games and such, pop one of them in the drive and see if acrobat reader is on them....alot of times its there to read "readme files" and so forth.....saves you downloading, particularly if you're on dialup.

Chris

Allan Waterfall
11-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Probably available on Adobe web site........

Allan

JRouche
11-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Also, are you trying to view the PDF file online? If the file is very large it will stall, even with a very fast connection. Try right clicking on the link and save it to your computer then view it. JRouche

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

[This message has been edited by JRouche (edited 11-03-2004).]

darryl
11-04-2004, 02:47 AM
I hate acrobat. It's the slowest, most annoying piece of software that I've had the displeasure of using.
The best luck I've had with it was before I installed version 4. Since then, it's become worst than ever. Why do we still have to use it?

Evan
11-04-2004, 02:48 AM
Ditto! A PDF file has the singular distinction of single handedly turning a high speed connection into a dial-up.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 11-04-2004).]

Ryobiguy
11-04-2004, 04:41 AM
Adobe PDF - great if you want to print something out. Stinks if you want to just read a page or two. What really gets me mad is the automatic "upgrade" it always tries to do - it always tries to sucker me into hitting OK on the "upgrade" to some new app which isn't even for displaying PDFs. Sorry Adobe, but you lose. At least it's a hair faster than MS Word - that's the absolute worst thing to use to load up some docs with.

Ted Coffey
11-04-2004, 03:56 PM
George,
Try this link.
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html