PDA

View Full Version : J-line shaper

hoffman
11-04-2004, 05:36 PM
I found a small (maybe 10-12 in stroke) J-Line shaper. Cabinet mount, no tooling excellent shape. Any thoughts? $500...

JRouche
11-04-2004, 05:47 PM
It's prolly an 8" stroke. Personally I would pay five bills for it, but thats me. What part of the globe is it in? Better still if it has the "extras" like vice, tool holders and hand cranks. If you don't want it lemme know. JRouche

hoffman
11-04-2004, 06:00 PM
It's within driving distance from here. No vice, all the handles but the assy. that goes from the table feed shaft. (A little round deal with a dovetail in it) to the feed mechanism is missing as is the belt guard. The ratcheting feed mechanism is there. Some of the parts may be there I just didn't look very hard. I'll probably get it because you don't see a lot of little shapers around.
Plus it's grey so It'll match my Rockwell lathe...
God, I'm gonna have a bazillion machine tools that don't work and no tooling...

JRouche
11-04-2004, 06:38 PM
If you belong to the metal shapers group in yahoo go to the pix group.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Metal_Shapers_Pix/files/

There you will find a file called Logan 8 Feed mechanism.pdf, get it. That is for your "round thingy" you are missing. It has drawings and dimensions to make your own.

Also in the same "files" section go to the "John's Logan" folder. I drew a rough sketch with dimensions for the belt guard for my 7". Yours will be slightly larger but the shape is the same (scale up).

Basically the Logan 8" and the Brodhead-Garrett are the same shaper so any info you find at the shaper group or elsewhere will apply to both.

And, Tony at Lathes Co Uk has the manual for the shaper but again if you can find the manual for the Logan it will be very close. JRouche

hoffman
11-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Thanks. By the way it's a "round deal" not a "round thingy". Big difference

JRouche
11-04-2004, 11:11 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hoffman:
Thanks. By the way it's a "round deal" not a "round thingy". Big difference</font>

Ouupps, my bust again. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Yer absolutely right. JRouche