PDA

View Full Version : Competetion on ebay, nice cdrom someone is copying

ibewgypsie
11-04-2004, 11:15 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64819&item=3849655628&rd=1

This is one of our HSM'ers wives. I ordered the cdrom and am impressed. It concerns tool grinders and profiles. They said a American had ripped the cdrom and was selling copies at a cheaper price.
I think I will purchase the shaper manual on cd too. I spent a hour going through the pdf's in the cd I bought and since I have scanned a book to pdf I really appreciate the work involved.

Check the "other items" in case I posted the wrong item.. It is early for me *I took a sleeping pill last nite* and feel about half here.. I rarely take drugs and they ahve a effect on me like a slaughterhouse hammer.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Allan Waterfall
11-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Dave,
It's unlikely that much can be done, I don't think the material carries a copywrite any more.

It seemed only a matter of time before some one would pirate it....Perhaps you could call and say " hello " to the person responsible.

Allan

Gert
11-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Hi there, Gert here. (John's busy (at what I still don't know) Just wanted to say thanks for your support over your fellow American's Shinanikins.
Sure - we were all fired up over his abuse of our trust but what really took the biscuit was his charging $30 for a copied CD when we offer our scanned original for $10. Flipping cheek!!! Not to say unfair to his buyers. Ah well enough about him - did us a favour - we (we're a mum and daughter team) now know how to list on the American site.
Must say though - this is the first time it's happened (to our knowledge) - says an awful lot about how great you engineer guys really are... (Don't for heavens sake let you know who read this!!)

Your feedback had us in stitches. Jo couldn't resist the answer and no we won't be trying out your theory - umbrellas are too precious here in sunny old England.

Sweet dreams, Gert

vinito
11-04-2004, 08:37 PM
I noticed that a manual I have scanned as well as some other manuals for the same make of milling machine that I know are available for free are being sold on eBay by a seller for $30. I have no idea if my PDF that I made available for free has anything to do with his auctioned version or if it's a coincidence, but I've heard warnings about dirty dealings of this seller. It makes me suspicious, whether it's warranted or not.

In my case making money wasn't the intention, but I sure can relate to Gert's fire that some folks will just do anything if it will make them a buck.

There is something you can do though. Make sure you word your ebay ad in such a way that your version will always come up in a search along with the pirated one. People will buy your less expensive version any day and the other guy will be wasting money listing it.

This guy (whomever) is betting that buyers won't search the net a little before buying his wares. Hopefully his customers dig first and he loses his bet. Maybe he just generates bad kharma.

[This message has been edited by vinito (edited 11-06-2004).]

Andrew
11-04-2004, 09:15 PM
You could always buy one of his copies, then leave him a negative feedback, explaining how it is a copied version. The $30 would be a fairly cheap way to destroy his credibility.

Andrew

chkz
11-04-2004, 11:41 PM
$30 cheap? must be the scotsman comin' out in me....lol