PDA

View Full Version : mill upgrade

Yankee1
11-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Just upgraded my micro-mill to a mini-mill.
I am impressed with the difference.
The new Grizzly mini-mills are very nice.
I installed a power feed on the x-feed and
made some actuating handles for some air rifles out of 6061 T6. It is a pleasure to use.

Smoking Crater
11-05-2004, 05:04 PM
I really enjoy my Homier mini-mill also. I took the torsion spring off and put the lift-strut conversion on for added Z-axis travel. I think the torsion spring had a tendency to rotate the spindle when the gibs loosened/wore.

Speaking of gibs, what shape are the Grizzly gibs in? I had to flatten mine on a diamond plate and am thinking of making new ones altogether.

I have been thinking about adding a scale to the Z-axis to simplify dealing with the considerable backlash in the fine (Z) dial. I now use a dial indicator on a magnetic base for this.

Every one of my axis locks stripped out immediately. I replaced them with internal wrenching cap screws that I rounded the end on with a file. If you go this route, get a 5mm-ball-end-T handle wrench also. I think this is actually easier to use because you don't have to get your fingers in there to tighten them. With the T-handle internal wrench you can really crank them down if you need to.

I completely dissassembled my machine and fine tuned some of the castings with hand files, but I am still impressed with the machine. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

BillH
11-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Im still using a micro mill, is the mini really that much better?

Yankee1
11-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Hi Smoking Crater
I had the same problem with the z-axis lock, I think your solution is the way to go but thats a small problem. The gibs are fine on my Grizzly. I had it apart to lube the shafts and install the Sieg X-feed motor.I've been using it all day and its been smooth sailing.I am using a magnetic base and indicator on the Z axis. I'll have to think about something better. I was thinking that using a L shaped plate to put in the milling vise then running the Y axis in until the plate hits the column, This would align the vise jaws with the x axis and then I could tighten the holddown bolts.
Hi BillH
It is a whole different ball game. They
are really nice. Smooth, no excessive slack
They don't bog down, three times more power. I liked being able to tilt the column to 45 Degrees and cut serrations every 1/16" one rotation of the handles move
the table 1/16". By the way Thank You for posting the Free Shipping code. You saved me 35.00 on my order of a surface plate.

PSD KEN
11-06-2004, 10:16 PM
Weak gears tho, I managed to trash everyone of them in one fell swoop.
Availabe from Little Machine Shop, very reasonable.