PDA

View Full Version : Need Info on Lathe made in Tacoma WA by Jet Equipment

Sifu_Karl
11-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Hi,

I'm New here and Hoping that someone can give some information on a Metal Lathe made by Jet Equipment & Tool out of Tacoma Wa. The model number is: 1024 PY. It's a 10" Swing by 24" center, 110/240v 1 1/2HP 1phase.

I have an chance to pick this machine up at a "NicePrice" but am worried that I may not be able to find replacement parts for it. The machine works fine but only has a limited amount of tooling such as only one 4' 3jaw chuck.

All I can find online is for Jet Industries.. but it's the "Chinese" machines and there is a Jet Industries in CaNaDa and they don't have metal lathes just wood.

I'm new to the "machining" hobby and looking to be able to make my own parts for the 20 plus british motorcycles I have in various stages of rebuilding.

I have a limited amount of experience in Machine shop practice.

I'm thanking you all in advance for any help,
Sifu_Karl

BillH
11-07-2004, 02:50 PM
The Jet you speak of is made in China. I never heard of a 10x24 Jet lathe though.

SGW
11-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Jet Equipment & Tool must be the original name of what is now Jet Industries. As far as I know, they've never actually made their own stuff, it's just a brand name on import (occasionally domestic) stuff made by others.

nheng
11-07-2004, 05:52 PM
If you search this forum and www.practicalmachinist.net (http://www.practicalmachinist.net) "general" forum for Jet 1024P you will find numerous references. It's pretty easy to get parts from Jet, in some cases for fairly old machines but you'll have to call them.

Try www.jettols.com (http://www.jettols.com) for contact info.

Den

Dave Opincarne
11-07-2004, 06:16 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SGW:
Jet Equipment & Tool must be the original name of what is now Jet Industries. As far as I know, they've never actually made their own stuff, it's just a brand name on import (occasionally domestic) stuff made by others.

</font>

Uh you mean like Powermatic? Yea, that powermatic is the one I mean. They're owned by Jet. BTW, Jet is now located in Auburn, WA.

Ries
11-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Jet started out as a scrapyard in Tacoma- in the 50's, the owner started importing japanese chainfalls and comealongs. Eventually, the import business took over the scrapyard, and it became just a tool importer. Originally all from japan, then from korea, taiwan, and china.
In the early 90's, Jet was bought by a Swiss holding company- WMH tool Group. They also own Powermatic, Performax sanders, and Wilton, an old american company that made vices, bandsaws, and grinders. Some of the tools are made in the US, but most of them are imported. Jet has brought over thousands of 10x24 lathes, most from taiwan originally, but lately from china. Some of the early ones have oddball sizes, but aftermarket chucks and tooling are widely available for most from places like MSC. (mscdirect.com) And Jet is pretty good about stocking parts, and they usually have free manuals you can download at their website.

wheatland47
11-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Don't forget to shop E-bay for machine accesories. I've gottne many good items there.

Jon K