PDA

View Full Version : BP question for Spence or anyone

sdeering
11-07-2004, 03:34 PM
I think I'm ready to convert the boss 5 to pc control. I have an older computer to use to download g code. What I need to know is what color or number of what wire is used to connect to the rs232 connection at the mill side. I have a friend that is going to help me with the softwear and cable. I understand the plug at the mill end is to be changed to something more versatile. I have read some posts on how to send g code from a PC just need some help with the wiring.
Thanks Stephen
Spence I have sent you a couple of e mails with no reply so you must not be getting them ??

SJorgensen
11-07-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm looking for that information for you. I'll check my email profile becuase I haven't recieved any email from you. Basically you can change that socket or not, it is up to you. I certainly would rather change that to a standard 9-pin D-shell than to try to find that style if I didn't have it already. You only need three wires to get the serial communications to work. You need Transmit, recieve, and ground. There are some diagrams that show a second chassis ground wire that attaches to pin #1 at the PC side. As I recall this was the cause of a lot of trouble because grounding pin 1 at the PC disabled the port. It could be that the specifications of pin one changed over the years. Eliminating this wire has been the breakthrough information for several people so far. I'll get back to you tonight with the pin-outs when I get back home.

sdeering
11-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Spence I sent the e mail from work

[This message has been edited by sdeering (edited 12-04-2005).]

SJorgensen
11-07-2004, 11:44 PM
I found this page that you might be interested in. I didn't get any email recently but I did find some from Sept. The email address in my profile is correct. sjorgensen7@comcast.net

Remember what I said about eliminating the wire to pin #1 on the PC side.

http://home.comcast.net/~sjorgensen7/BridgeportRS232.gif

[This message has been edited by SJorgensen (edited 11-07-2004).]