PDA

View Full Version : Things you should not have to make?

wierdscience
11-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Just wondering how many of us have had to make things that should be availible at a reasonable cost.

I had to make a carb.jet yesterday,yep thats right,remember when you could walk into a parts house and they had an assortment box of jets? Well no more.

So what kind of common items have you had to make because you couldn't buy?

WJHartson
11-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Recently made one of the old style anti-screen door slammers. It is the one with the rubber ball on a rod that swings out and allows the screen door to close without the big bang. Works well and is a simple design.

Joe

G.A. Ewen
11-07-2004, 11:20 AM
A decent set of pegs for a cribbage board.

motorworks
11-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Hex Head Grub (set) Screws.(7/16-NF x 0.750"long)
Needed them for a job on a boat.It was a Saturday and nobody within a 1000 miles had them!!
They wanted to sail so....
eddie

Swarf&Sparks
11-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Air fitting. Mate couldn't find one at the local "hardware" superstore. "Anything you want, anytime at all" on a sunday morning. 1/2" brass, 10 mins on the lathe, back on the road. Cost him more in beer but we were both happy http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

chkz
11-07-2004, 01:06 PM
I'll go with the carb jets!!! Nobody carries those damn things and if you can find 'em the cost is out of this friggin' world! Lotta gun parts are the same....3~7 dollars for some little piece of crap pin...and a three week wait....lotta bits 'n pieces for other machinery...'specially bushings. Glad to see there's still other folks actually "making" repair parts!!!! (why I like this board)...too many "parts changers" these days. Taking the "craft" outta craftsmanship!! just my humble opinion (and I suppose the mighty dollar rules 'n all...but it still sux!)

Chris

Arcane
11-07-2004, 04:32 PM
wierdscience, very coincidently I made a throttle shaft last week for a friend's Marvel-Schebler carb on his Cockshut 30 tractor. He had to make a main jet for the M-S carb on his John Deere A just this fall, too.

nheng
11-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Polished 6061 door stop, 1-1/4" diameter, rounded top, milled step to half diameter for a rubber pad. Probably worth $90. Home Depot out of stock on $4 ones. Den

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 11-07-2004).]

BillH
11-07-2004, 06:17 PM
I made a Bayonet pin for my SKS.

Ries
11-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Spring loaded center for my toilet paper holder- My 1928 farmhouse has a ceramic toilet paper holder that had a two piece wooden piece that went in between the two ceramic ends. Hollow with a spring in it. Well, somebody lost the spring, and I couldnt find another one to match- so I turned a solid aluminum replacement from two pieces of 1" round aluminum, made to fit a spring I did have. It works great, but its kind of overkill.

Guero
11-07-2004, 07:20 PM
I made a steering wheel turning knob for my daughter to use when she drives. My daughter was in an auto accident coming home from college in May 2003 and originally diagnosed as a quadriplegic. Her neck was broken, as well as her left femur. Today she walks (very slowly) with a cane but her left arm/hand are still dormant. The rehab facility cleared her for driving again approximately one year after her injury and I had ordered a steering wheel knob from J.C. Whitney. Quality was okay, but it was somewhat floppy. Daughter did not much care for it and asked whether I could make one for her, custom fit to her right palm. I finished it up yesterday - shiny aluminum with a polished brass insert and knurled sides. She loves it. I am grateful God has brought her this far... from original prognosis of spending the rest of her life a quadriplegic, being on oxygen, to the point where she drives her mother and younger sister to the mall so she can buy a gift for her grandmother's birthday (which date she happens to share with her grandmother). And all this in less than two years. When she first started to move her right leg, the docs doubted her left would join it. When she started to move her left leg the docs said it would be at least two years before she was walking. She was walking with a cane in less than three months. Yes, I believe in prayer.

Carl
11-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Guero, sounds like your daughter is well on the way to a full recovery. If she keeps her positive attitude and takes it one day at a time, I bet she makes it!

CCWKen
11-07-2004, 07:46 PM
I think I bought all the carb jets. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
I've had to make more than my fair share of throttle linkages though. Not to mention water pumps, headlight buckets, shift arms, axles, seat risers... blaw, blaw, blaw.

When dealing with antique cars, there's not much choice.

wierdscience
11-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Worst is the jet was for a 8N Ford tractor,8,9,2N=common as dirt!
Parts house here in town had the butterfly,the shaft for the butterfy,the screws,the choke flap and shaft even a gasket kit and float,but no freakin jets!Oh he says "ya we can order them,2-3weeks and $7 each http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

Elninio
11-07-2004, 08:51 PM
busybeetools sells a washing canbinet for 100 bucks, its just a pump that pumps washing fluid on a peice you want to clean, its about 15 x 15 x 12 inches big. I think am going to make one, its such a waste of money just buying it..

charlie coghill
11-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Elninio you will enjoy the parts washer more when you did the work.
Chalie

hoffman
11-07-2004, 11:23 PM
I had to build a stand for my chinese bandsaw the day I brought it home. I'm sure I'm the only one who's had this problem. Great little saw once I sturdied it up.

skeeter
11-07-2004, 11:38 PM
Well guys I live in the passed I know. I just have a hard time understanding prices on some items these days.

I purchased a vacuum advance for a 1974 Ford Ranchero this past week cost $22 plus tax. Checked with a couple more places and they wanted more. One was $40. I replaced these in the past when they were apx. $7. Triple does sound to me as too much. But you still need things to make other things work.

I don't think that I have lived too long, just can't get used to the prices of items today.

Hey I have some carb jets for some carbs. Might fit what you are working on.

You can solder the hole and redrill if you have the jet.

I think its great that you made the part, I do this often.

Rant off. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

darryl
11-08-2004, 01:20 AM
I should not have had to make a new regulator for the spider injector on the Astro, but being short of cash, that's what I did. They are available here, in stock, and interestingly, a rebuilt one is also available through a local store, but for more than the gm dealer was charging for the new one. After a crash course in the vehicle's operating systems, and with the help of some on this bbs, I tackled the job myself, and found that the regulator was indeed at fault. I decided to try to rebuild it, or make up a new one. Newly machined one it was, and it worked out ok, the pressure regulates nicely at the proper level, and if this one starts to leak, I have a vent which will take the fuel back to the tank instead of leaving it to flood inside the engine. Thanks to those who helped me with this, especially to CCW for your multiple tries to help me get this under control.

scooter
11-08-2004, 09:05 AM
Made my own small grill about 7 yrs. ago - a smoker. Weighs approx 210lbs. Will certainly outlast any gas grill, and may even outlast me.

Friend of mine who's a cop told me when I'm through with it not to throw it away - say's the bomb squad could probably use it...