PDA

View Full Version : Will router VSC work with AC to DC setup?

torker
11-08-2004, 11:49 AM
I'm trying to round up all the pieces I need to build a power down feed for the quill on my m/d. I'm thinking...a Chevy power window motor, a power source from a 486 (as per Evans suggestions), cog tooth belt drive w/simple in/out drive disconnect. I'm wondering if a variable speed control that they sell for routers will work on this setup? I'm going to use this setup mainly for boring holes. Thanks!
Russ

Paul Alciatore
11-08-2004, 12:55 PM
I'm not familiar with the "486" that you mention, but unless it's a AC to DC converter of some type (a.k.a. a power supply) then you will have a problem with the DC power window motor. Or did you mean a 486 computer power supply? OK, it's Monday.

At any rate, an AC speed control will not work. A computer supply is regulated so if you put the speed control in the AC feed before the power supply the supply will continue to supply the full 12 volts until you reach a point where it will just completely stop working or where it will work so erratically that it will be useless. And an AC speed control will just not work on the DC output of the supply.

To use that motor, what you need is a 12 volt DC supply and some kind of DC speed control, preferably a chopper type. I have built such supplies/speed controls and perhaps can send a schematic if you could give me the current required.

AC motors will be difficult to reverse. You might be better off with a stepper.

Paul A.

torker
11-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Paul...Thanks! Yes I did mean a power supply from an old 486 computer. Evan suggested that I use this to power the 12V power window motor. I'm just looking for ways to make it variable speed. If you've done this I'd sure appreciate any schematics you could send. Thanks again.
Russ