PDA

View Full Version : Unsure on turret mill

.RC.
11-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Thinking about getting a new turret mill.
My machinery dealer gave me a quote on one and a pamphlet. I don't know how to post pics here so I found this machine http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G9905
with nearly identical specs and weight for you to give me your opinion. I have only 240V single phase power here so I am stuck what size I can get. There is virtually no second hand turret mills for sale around here either. Anyway I would rather a new machine as then I know what I am getting.

Has anyone seen this model grizzly mill and are they any good.

jfsmith
11-05-2004, 01:02 AM
I have a Jet in that size range. I found that Grizzly gets decent stuff and they do back their items to a point.

I had a surface grinder that the stanbd was dmaaged, I told them I could fix it, if it didn't void the warranty, then they sent me a $25 gift certificate.

That tells me a lot a bout a company.

Jerry

wbleeker
11-05-2004, 01:47 AM
Ringer
From your username I think you are in Australia,which state?If in NSW,QLD or WA you have Hare and Forbes who have quite good milling machines in the style and size you wan't,their annual sale is on in Sydney from 11 to 14 November. Sydney phone no is 0298909111
Will

.RC.
11-05-2004, 02:14 AM
Hi wbleeker, I am in Central Queensland, I have the Hare and Forbes catalogue but their single phase machines come nowhere near the weight and size of this one I have been offered.

.RC.
11-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Price I got from supplier for this mill seems very pricey ($10 000AUD - $7500US) compared to other turret mills about.

Been looking on the net for other turret mills. Has anyone used an EXTRON turret mill and what are they like???

Anyone from OZ now any other good dealers with new turret mills for sale.

wbleeker
11-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Ringer
Have a look in your local newsagent there is a monthly magazine (that I can't remember the name of)that has engineering machinery and materials handling gear there are also a lot of the new dealers in it.
Will

.RC.
11-05-2004, 11:15 PM
I got the Plant and Equipment mag from the newsagents. Just looking for a respectable dealer. Been burn't once before and now I'm weary of dealers.

Alan in Oz
11-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Ringer,
I have an Extron KV2 mill (4 years old) and from my perspective think its a good machine. I looked around at some second hand machines mainly Bridgeports which had a hard life (worn ways etc) so decided to go with this one as it was nearly new, not abused and a reasonable price. Decent 2nd hand machines can be hard to find if not in Melb or Sydney. Mine has the Int 30 spindle and I find it better than the R8 easy relaease. Tooling not a problem here, but if you want to buy something for it from the USA then more difficult as R8 is common there. I also have the horizontal arbour and right angle head while OK for light work it is not in the race for hogging, but it will have to do until a good small horizontal machine appears, FP1 (know of any). Hope this helps.

Swarf&Sparks
11-06-2004, 09:23 AM
G'day people.
I'm in West Oz. Have been looking at Hare and Forbes mills. Anyone have experience with these? Specifically the Hafco BM-20-A/E, made in Taiwan. Also, does anyone know who the Jet machinery dealers are here in Oz?
I have a little Jet 9 x 20 lathe which does a good job (after a bit of work) I'm interested in the Jet JVM 836 mill.

Thanks and regards, Lin

.RC.
11-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Hi Alan, I was looking at the Extron K2V but I thought it might be a bit lightly built for what I want. It's difficult to decide when you can't see the machines in person.

Hi Swarf&Sparks, I was looking at the BM20A/E but when I saw it was step pulley driven that turned me right off. I have a severe dislike for step pulley driven tools. Another dealer in perth for you to check out would be www.ronmackmachinery.com.au (http://www.ronmackmachinery.com.au) I might give him a call and see if he has anything suitable for me. Problem is my power supply there aren't many heavier tools out there with single phase motors on them.

Alan in Oz
11-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Ringer,
Do you want to email me directly its in my profile and I can give you some pointers on both machines.

Lin,
A Jet dealer in Perth is Power Tools & Machinery in Bayswater, don't know if they handle mills but they sure did have the metal working lathes as well as their woodworking range.

Swarf&Sparks
11-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks ringer and Alan, I'll pursue those links.
Suggestion ringer, VFD inverters now are available quite cheaply, even here in the land that time forgot (WA) For any machine likely to fit in a home workshop, you'll get a single to 3 phase VFD for under $200
Either or both you guys in the west?
Rgds, Lin

Alan in Oz
11-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Lin, yes, its in my profile info. PM me if you like.

Elninio
11-07-2004, 08:32 PM
try getting a universal mill, nice and rigid and can do vertical and horizontal milling operations.

.RC.
11-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Hi Elnino,

Don't know if I should talk to you as you cause droughts here http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif I have the chance of purchasing an Ajax No.2 universal mill in good order but I think a turret mill would be more versatile for my needs. I don't need to take big hogging cuts all day.

Lin, How do the phase converters work with the machines switch gear being 415V. I understand if the motor is rated at 240/415 the converter will run it but will the switch gear still work??????

Swarf&Sparks
11-08-2004, 12:59 AM
Ringer, can't see it being a problem at 440 volts. I've run plenty of 415v switchgear and motors on 440. Maybe Dave (Ibewgypsy) could clarify here?

.RC.
11-08-2004, 01:40 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks:
Ringer, can't see it being a problem at 440 volts. I've run plenty of 415v switchgear and motors on 440. Maybe Dave (Ibewgypsy) could clarify here?</font>

I don't have 440V here I only have 240V single phase.

Swarf&Sparks
11-08-2004, 02:02 AM
Yes, but the inverter/VFD will supply 440v 3 phase at a variable frequency, usu 0-60 Hz, so controlling speed. They are programmable with all sorts of soft start options etc.

Swarf&Sparks
11-08-2004, 02:03 AM
Sorry, didn't really make that clear. You feed 240v single phase into the VFD, it supplies 440v 3 phase out.

wbleeker
11-08-2004, 02:35 AM
Swarf & sparks
Could you post suppliers of VFD's if you know of any in OZ. Is 415 3 phase in a problem - I have a 5 hp lathe I would l;ike to put one on
Will

Swarf&Sparks
11-08-2004, 02:41 AM
Will, wow, 5HP is a lotta grunt! It may cost you substantially more for a VFD to handle that.
I deal with Kwinana Belts and Bearings (usual disclaimer) They are just up the road from me. Ring Sue on (08) 94101122.
I have also checked this site, tho I have had no dealings with the company as yet
http://www.powercontrol.com.au/
Rgds, Lin

.RC.
11-10-2004, 05:13 AM
A couple more are www.polyphaz.com (http://www.polyphaz.com) and www.powerchange.com.au (http://www.powerchange.com.au)