PDA

View Full Version : NEIL!.. We need to Lynch the CadExpert, second crap post. Send him a bill please.

ibewgypsie
11-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Post advertising stolen software. Clearly in violation of law and respect of board members

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

spope14
11-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Send the IP to MasterCam, they are actively seeking the pirates.

Jaymo
11-08-2004, 11:55 PM
Chinese, should have expected it.

Evan
11-08-2004, 11:56 PM
Lots of luck. It's all pirate software. Here is the domain owner:

Administrative Contact:
SiCheng Yang tech@chinadds.com
020-82582588 fax: 020-82582409
Flat 703,No.18 Huangcun West Road,Dongpu,Tianhe District,GuangZhou,China
GuangZhou GuangDong 510660
cn

speedy
11-09-2004, 04:33 AM
Yeah! just the sort of country that doesnt discourage unethical trade practice; the kind of place to have a free trade deal with. That is what my countrys` current rulers are pursueing http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif
Ken

Guero
11-09-2004, 08:34 AM
When I was doing a three-year assignment in Mexico City (2000-2003) one could buy pirated software and entertainment media all over the place. Every bus stop, every little kiosk, even the sidewalk flower shops sell pirated goods. No, I never purchased any, but did price some just to find out. Video games that sell in the US for $50 you could purchase for $2.50. Software applications that cost $600 - $800 in the US cost $5 to $10. For what it's worth, I read recently that close to 80 percent of the software used by Central American governments and businesses is pirated.

scooter
11-09-2004, 08:43 AM
CHINK

Neil
11-09-2004, 08:53 AM
Dave:
Thanks for the heads-up.

Evan:
Thanks for the contact info.

This company tried the same stunt earlier in the year. We do not condone this type of activity nor will we be a part of a piracy.

Neil

Rustybolt
11-09-2004, 09:04 AM
What Dave said. Get that clod out of here.

Evan
11-09-2004, 10:28 AM
For anyone that is interested in how to find out who is behind a domain name go to http://www.whois.net

Once there just type in the domain without the www part and click go. This won't always result in a useful answer because there are proxy services that specialize in helping you hide. It can often be useful though.

ibewgypsie
11-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Evan,
My head is so full today it hurts, I can't get my ball cap on without letting it out. How do you stand all them things going around and around in your skull? Don't you want to buy some hornrimmed glasses and a pocket protector?

That silly cnc program is making me a imsomniac..

I guess you figured out I am a alpha-male-obsessive-compulsive-anti-social type who goes out of his way to be nice to make up for bad things in my concience? ("Forrest Addy" said so)
Though I love my wife, she is fixing to break the record for a woman staying with me (7years). I used to just see women as toys, I prefer machinery. When you get into something interesting, you can just prop a machine up in the corner and ignore it.

I love machines.

Hey look something shiny..

mbensema
11-09-2004, 11:23 AM
scooter, there is no need for racial slurs.

ibewgypsie
11-09-2004, 11:39 AM
I took it as KA-CHink.. or money.

Bling-Bling is the newest word I don't understand.

I saw it emblazoned across a pretty blond's butt on a pair of shorts.

What does that mean?

scooter
11-09-2004, 11:43 AM
CHINK - The sound thats made when when your lathe chuck key falls through the ways and hits the bed.

jburstein
11-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Bling bling was originally flashy jewelry worn by a rapper. It's sorta associated with money vaguely, but it also has connotations of bright shiney.

Those rims you see on escalades that keep spinning after the wheels stop? Those are bling bling.

They are also endlessly amusing to me, because they are so stupid. I made some out of silver painted cardboard for my beat up pickup.

mayfieldtm
11-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Was in Manila last year.
The pirated software was everywhere (as always).
My brother in-law wanted to purchase a legal copy of "Paradox" (Database), for his business.
We combed the City and nowhere can you purchase legal software (other than Microsoft products).
The Pirates have totally ruined the market.
In the big malls, the computer shops only have Microsoft products.
One shop owner told me that Microsoft buys exclusive rites to his store.

Tom M.

ibewgypsie
11-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Hate to take this post on another direction, but..

HoW do you know when you buy from ebay what it is you are buying?

I got my visual basic 6 enterprise from a reputable seller there. TWO copies of XP pro. Numerous copies of 98 SE..

I got one I know is stolen copy of 98SE.. it is fancy printed with the log number on the front.

What is a honest person to do? I register it all. If they come after it, I have records of where it came from. I gave $300 for the VB program thou.. I got Microsoft sealed package with it, or a reasonable facimility.

Long live VER98SE.. I wish I had WIN95 and good dos... ALas, it died on the puter..

David

spope14
11-09-2004, 06:03 PM
My old CAD/CAM software is registered, bought and paid for, and does all the new things do, but I have to work at it a bit more. The new stuff is now coming out in increasing "layering" of services and application where the old stuff had it standard. The cost of the basic package is now at the point of being far more than the older versions, and you get less. I was in the proces of buying a major brand for my shop, but found that the total cost for the re-licensing would be much more or half of the product we have now. The local shops are also staying away from that product for the same reasons I mentioned.

As for doing business with the countries that encourage the things we can't or will not do in our country? Things like rampant pollution, safty issues ignored, pirating, industrial espionogue (whatever)....Why do we do this business and cow tow when they refuse to do any business with us when we do something small they may not like, an they then embargo some items just to show they can irritate. One must remember..China is still not the leading sales place for items. This would be the US as still the major market fo the whole world. China can't support its own industry through the buying power of its people of their own economy, and China subsidizes its own industry, and that it does not, it regulates to keep it within thier scope of control. The botom line, China makes items, but could not sustain itself if it were cut off.

The Europeans make us meet "green materials" standards to do business with them, and our companies do this to keep up the business transaction there (just saw this Friday). They also have some "auditing" of companies and general opertations to see we are doing to assure quality and such meet their standards. If a company does not, no biz. We have our standards of workers safety, environmental control, suh on and so forth. Take a page from the europoean book.

We may pay more, but in the end, a better end. On a "greenie" note, the world has lost almost 400,000 miles of polar ice cap in the last few yers, you don't think that will cease if only the US and Europe quit polluting do you, China, the Baltics, and the Asian market are putting even our past 100 + years of polluting to shame just in one single decade.

But alas, I rant on.

I am not too impressed with the new software licensing methids used by our companies tody, but far less impressed as well by pirates.

BTW, My chuck keys fall in the chip pan or on the ways and clatter about, make some crashing noises on the sheet metal, or thud in the chips. Never heard that other noise mentioned. I hammered the Chinese gov't a bit here, but kept it respectful to the others on the board.

jfsmith
11-09-2004, 06:27 PM
When I was at university, almost every student had pirated software of some sort, which has come to be expected, but I didn't approve of it. There were a lot of faculty who were running pirated software, which I disapprove of. A couple of departments were running pirated software or as some say, "unlicensed."

The really strange thing was, that the university had a CD package with almost all of the Microsoft software on it, with others that were standards for the U. all licensed, the CD cost $99.00 and there were more pirated copies than legal ones on campus.

Jerry

bobodu
11-09-2004, 07:16 PM
I hate those bling bling spinning hubcaps!! Waiting for the day someone rearends me when I slam on the bling bling brakes thinking that bling bling car is rolling through the bling bling redlight...makes me wanna fill em with spray foam.....

------------------
If I got it right first time,everytime....I'd have a real job!

spope14
11-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Yes, Bling Bling. I see those bling bling neck thingies on the little wannabes at the school. I have had students want to make them, but alas, after attempt one, I decided these bling bling things were a bit off of what I might want to have coming out of my shop.

The bling bling hubcaps, they have a short life in New Hampshire. It is now the day after our first snow storm, and the three bling bling cars that drive into the parking lot had the blinging blinging hubcaps all froze up, and darned if the cars wheels sounded a bit more than out of balance.

Can't wait until salt water gets into the bearing......That should end heir bling bling lives on the vehicles.

SJorgensen
11-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Isn't it amazing how theft is rampant in the software market? Really it is this theft that is responsible for the rapid advancement of the technology. Bill Gates did an interview once where he bragged that Windows was the most popular and prolific operating system in Communist China even at a time when Microsoft didn't even sell to China. But like the Cheshire Cat Bill was grinning all the way to the bank knowing that he was going to bring that market in eventually. Good old bill really never invented anything. He just stole and pirated and outflanked his competition at every turn. He takes advantage of "lack of vision." Intellectual property is the most easily copied and the hardest to protect. It is really unfair that the greatest innovators, like the guy that wrote DOS, sold it for so little and gave Bill his first coup. Then the GUI (Graphical User Interface) from Apple, and then the Mouse from Zerox.

It is nothing new to the PC world.

Evan
11-09-2004, 11:57 PM
Xerox invented not just the mouse but also the graphical user interface, well before Jobs met Woz. It is known as the WIMP interface (although they didn't call it that). Stands for Windows, Icons, Mouse and Pointer. It was developed in part by Alan Kay at the Xerox research center in Palo Alto. He later defected to Apple. I personally saw dozens of desktop computers called Altos running what looked a lot like Windows in hi resolution in the 70's when I took a tour of Xerox PARC. By hi resolution I mean able to display two entire 8.5x11" pages at the same time. I was an employee at the time so I was also allowed to see laser printers, COLOR laser printers at that time. They also developed ethernet. They also developed the laser diode and built the cameras for the Pioneer spacecraft. They also developed Smalltalk, the first object oriented programming language. Xerox PARC had an amazing ability to invent anything. Xerox management had an incredible talent for not realizing what it would be worth.

The guy who wrote DOS ripped it off from CPM.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 11-09-2004).]

SJorgensen
11-10-2004, 12:13 AM
It goes to show what brilliant people can do when they are left to explore their imagination and are properly funded. What a HUGE blunder that the Zerox administators were too "in-the-box" to see the future. That will go down as one of the greatest blunders in history. You were lucky enough to see them do it. Ha! looks like you've missed a few opportunities along the way doesn't it!

In those days did you have to dress like an IBM employee? Only the CIA and FBI had a more uptight dress code.

wierdscience
11-10-2004, 12:45 AM
IBM dress code,one of my customers was a tech. he caught hell for wearing a clip on tie! But like he said,at the time he was servicing bi-fold printers the size of cars,while they were running,in a Winsor knot tie.
Sperry was no better,my dad got his regulation vest and tie caught in a coalator drive chain.

SJorgensen
11-10-2004, 12:49 AM
I've always thought of a tie as a pre-attached noose. At work it is for your boss to use, and in a bar fight you don't want to be the guy wearing one.

Safer to wear a clip-on.

Evan
11-10-2004, 01:34 AM
Xerox dress code was more relaxed than IBM. We were supposed to wear a tie but I rarely did since I was in the outback and almost none of my customers did. When I had to go on training or to meetings in Vancouver I would wear a western string tie. After all, the second largest rodeo is held in Williams Lake. Nobody ever siad anything. I always had a reputation of being a maverick but I was good enough that they never complained.

I didn't exactly miss any opportunities, I intentionally passed them up. I had a chance in the early 80s to move to Vancouver and join the digital imaging division at the beginning. I passed because it would have meant giving up the lifestyle I love here and living in a row townhouse. I decided not.

HTRN
11-10-2004, 01:34 AM
There was a whole thing on the birth of the GUI on a PBS special called "Revenge of the Nerds" hosted by Bob Cringley (http://www.pbs.org/cringely/) It basically put to rest Apples long standing opinion that MS stole the GUI concept from them. Cringley pointed out what Evan said. Xerox PARC(Palo Alto Research Center) basically invented much of what we take for granted today in the late 60's/early 70's. Cringley explained that upper management of Xerox had the mindset: "But we're copier guys".. If they had "siezed the day" today Xerox would have been a behemoth that would have put both Intel and Microsoft to shame...

HTRN

Evan
11-10-2004, 02:16 AM
BTW, I still have two Xerox optical mice that are 25 years old.

CCWKen
11-10-2004, 02:54 AM
Up until about 4yrs ago, I had a mint original IBM PC--8mhz, 16k ram, 1 floppy. Used it to print the engine data from an analyzer. Guy came in and offered $300 for it. Must be in a museum somewhere now.

Probably worth thou$ands. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

captainkirk
11-10-2004, 07:40 AM
Thousands of what?

Alan in Oz
11-10-2004, 08:34 AM
I'm probably going to get flamed on this, but here goes anyway. Conuterfiting of anything depends upon a market and as I have recently learnt after a hard disk failure there is incentive enough considering MS pricing and lack of readily available support even if you have an original version. Example Win XP pro here in Australia (street price) for an OEM system install $100, Student price $130, upgrade $410, full install $590. Gov get 10%GST and not sure what else but a full install is nearly 1/2 the price of a new system, thats without any other software. Counterfit copy in Asia as I understand it less than $10, no support and may not work. If MS didn't have such a monoply and priced its product at a reasonable level then more people would buy an original and save the angst about possibly getting sprung. Software seems to be getting like car spare parts, the car is relatively cheap, spare parts well I'm sure you know.