PDA

View Full Version : how many DRILL PRESSES in your shop??....

Alaninga
11-09-2004, 05:57 AM
great pictures on the pictures of your shop topic. I just got my second drill press when I purchased a basement full of machinery [with a friend]. Wondered how many presses are 'usable' in your shop. Another friend has 3 drill presses set side by side. He is a full time machinist doing his own contract work.
Don't tell me 3 or more,,,I don't have any more ROOM in my garage shop!

Doc Nickel
11-09-2004, 06:04 AM
I have two functional (a Rockwell variable-speed floor model and an older Craftsman bench unit) and of course the mill can be a third. As soon as I fix the JET, that could be the fourth.

I have done "jigging" projects, short runs of twenty or more parts, where I've set up both presses and run parts through in sequence. But basically I'm a one-man shop, I can't use more than one machine at a time. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Doc.

wierdscience
11-09-2004, 08:58 AM
I have at the moment 2 functioning and three more in the works.
The two I have now are an old Jet 17" and a small S&R,I also have a Cinncinatti Bickford stiff arm in a #5mt and a two spindle Avey that I'm working on.I also recently picked up a 15" Rockwell.
The're like potato chips,you can't have just one http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

G.A. Ewen
11-09-2004, 09:38 AM
I also have two, a bench model with #2 mt and a floor model with #4 mt. I would like to find another better quality bench model.

Milacron of PM
11-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Hmmmm...probably about twenty I think...here's my favorite

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/alzmetall21.jpg

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

DR
11-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Four, 3 older Atlas/Craftsman 15" floor models (the best 1/2" capacity dp ever made) and a 15" Rockwell/Delta with coolant table.

Evan
11-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Three. A 8" and a 9" plus my Strands. Oh yeah, also the one I chopped the head off to make a tool post grinder.

ibewgypsie
11-09-2004, 10:33 AM
#3 total..

#1 My fancy bridgeport cnc drill press. I love it, it is rigid, drills 1 1/4" holes without whining or stalling.

#2, tabletop 1/2" craftsman drill press, Mucho modified, cut down into a primitive cnc, then reverted back to drill press. It is good for 3/8" holes, most the time. You do have to manually unstick drill when it goes through. Not enough power.. Harumph.. It was great when it was all I had. It is ten years old so I guess it is okay, no problems. It resides on my welding table to drill lil bitty quickie holes.

#3 Is antique B&S w Mt3 spindle, (needs paint and motor mounted) Power downfeed, open flat belt. Angle gear drive across the top, angle gear drive downfeed to spindle. It kinda looks like the old timey milling machine on the Mach2 cover page.

I have been wanting a steam engine to pull it on air pressure. Paint it a fancy color.

It has not made a lick of work. I kept it instead of selling it for triple profit cause Mikey told me it (one like it in Chatsworth) hogs out three inch holes. I have saw several other of "US" HSM'ers have similar ones still working. I want it to be a showpiece as well as work. I thought I had bought a bridgeport Kwikswitch spindle to let it share tooling with the bridgy, but alas, wrong spindle.. I Want it to be Shiny.. ohh... What was I talking about???

See ya....

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Tinker2
11-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Just one bench top drillpress in my basment shop.

vinito
11-09-2004, 01:18 PM
I have just one big ugly Bickford 21". It works great (MUCH better than it looks. I really have to invest in some paint one of these days), but I wish I had at least one more. I've been tightening up some heavy machinery control arms so I drill and ream the holes. My press is MT4 but the drill & reamer are MT2. I step down with 2 adapters, so every hole requires a bunch of drift whacking to change the tools - of course the mill is set up for a different job, otherwise that would double.

Paul Alciatore
11-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Just one bench top but boy do I want another. Floor and bench space is pretty well used up. Now if someone could sell me one with it's own floor space.....

Paul A.

Involute
11-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Dang!, I don't have any! I guess I've got some catching up to do! Been looking for one, I just haven't found the right one yet. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

Alaninga
11-09-2004, 03:08 PM
"benchtop" are a no-no..FLES [flat level empty space]is RARE and PREMIUM space in my garage! Took the advise of other shop folks and bought floor model press. I have to really work to keep 'open space' on my workbench. Usually more than one airrifle in pieces,,and a die set or three [reloading dies], not to mention cases, shellholders, few 'at ready' handtools,,other stuff.
alan in ga.

DR
11-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Speaking of floor model dp's, read that as third world. Have any of you tipped yours over? The bases seem too small to be stable.

Milacron of PM
11-09-2004, 04:07 PM
I "tipped over" a large Allen drill press I bought at an auction once. In a big hurry to load it before they closed the doors for the day and the rigger kept pulling up with the forklift wondering why it seemed so much heavier than it looked.

Few seconds later it's previously unnoticed floor bolts broke thru the concrete and she began her descent into a most ungracious horizontal position http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif

hoffman
11-09-2004, 04:07 PM
I have a little chinese benchtop. It's good for popping small holes in stuff pretty quick.
The throat is awful small though. They are often on sale for about $30.

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

Yankee1
11-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Four. A tiny unimat mill, A micro-mill, a mini-mill, and a 15" floor model Sears industrial.The Sears floor model did not have a way to lift the table so I put a trailer boat winch on the top of the column,
it works super.

Steve Stube
11-09-2004, 05:11 PM
5 drill presses.
Two Craftsman 1971's 1 is bench and 1 floor model.
Two micro precision, one is a National JET and the other a Levin.
One Rockwell ram type radial drill press that will drill to the center of 62" circle.

Derek13
11-09-2004, 07:03 PM
95% of the time i use a bridgeport type mill.. i much prefer them over drill presses, especially for larger drills as it has the rigidity needed.

PolskiFran
11-09-2004, 07:06 PM
In the main shop 2 - 1 rockwell floor model and 1 bench top. In the basement shop 1 bench top.

Frank

codyb
11-09-2004, 07:17 PM
3, 2 Craftsman floor models, one is the deluxe
version with 3 step pulleys, tilt table and 1/2
hp motor. 3rd is a Boise crane bench type that spent it's life in a musical instrument repair shop till I got it for 50 bucks, like new.

Arcane
11-09-2004, 07:36 PM
I have a BP clone mill and recently acquired a #15 Buffalo bench mounted dp like this one (http://files.owwm.com/PDF/Buffalo/Buffalo15.pdf)and the bench for it. The bench is made from very substantial material, nothing thinner than 1/4 inch and about 2 1/2 by 3 feet. Due to lack of space a friend has graciously donated shop space to store it.

Bob-O
11-09-2004, 07:45 PM
I have a BP clone that I use for drilling in metal. I also have a 14" South Bend drill press that I use for woodworking. It came from a 4 gang setup that was being scrapped at a place I used to work at. I mounted the column to a piece of 1-1/2" x 24" x 24" cast iron. This is on an angle iron frame. I would prefer to have a floor model since the large table and stand take up a lot of floor space, but the price was right - free!
Bob

Ries
11-09-2004, 08:39 PM
I have 2 drill presses- a 17" benchtop, and a floor model import, along with a bridgeport clone I often use for drilling holes.
But my policy is you gotta have at least 3 ways of doing any job-
so for making holes in things, in addition to the drill press, I have a hydraulic ironworker, a mag drill, and a plasma cutter. One of em ought to work....

chardy
11-09-2004, 08:56 PM
I settled for three: a Walker Turner 20" floor,a Delta bench( my grand father's) and a minidrill press by Atlas. Also have pieces of a sensitive drill press by National Instrument? Any body heard of the company or parts?
Dick Stack-Hillsdale Art Metal

BillH
11-09-2004, 09:09 PM
3 if you include the micro mill. I have a 40$ HF special, and a 18" buffalo thats 3 phase and therefore not being used except as a work table and light duty arbor press! hehe.

wierdscience
11-09-2004, 11:27 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D. Thomas:

Few seconds later it's previously unnoticed floor bolts broke thru the concrete and she began her descent into a most ungracious horizontal position http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif[/B]</font>

Did the rigger survive the beating he recieved? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

J Tiers
11-10-2004, 01:25 AM
Two, a 12" or so floor-mount who flung dung (visible in shop photo thread) and a 4" of unknown make or model, with a very old Jacobs #1 on it.

ibewgypsie
11-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Weird:

Most the riggers I have saw since I been auction-buying.. They call themselves riggers but want to sit on a hyster and drive only.

Nice to my face, talk about how dangerous I am to the owner. Since I am a nice guy and make friends with owners I hear it back. Then for some reason they stay clear of me. If it is dangerous to load with a cherry picker onto a flatbed trailer I guess I am leading a charmed life. THE dollies get rolled eyes. I calculate they are paid for 5x.. I am starting to see other regulars doing the same things.. It is hard enough to pay the child support anyway. (Behind at the moment) About time to go get a electricians job for a month or two.

David

wierdscience
11-10-2004, 10:03 AM
"riggers" can burn in hell! Out of 42 auctions this year 41 had fly by night morons for riggers.No running a forklift does not make a man a rigger.
Most I have seen where just con-artists,like the ones who wanted $100.00 a skid to load on a flatbed,like I said burn in hell.

Now,I did see one real rigger at the one auction,he had every piece of equipment and took his time,if he had a mill or lathe up on a forklift it was strapped down to the lift,he took no chances and was also very reasonable.He only charged $40.00 to move and spot a lathe on our trailer,took him about 45 minute or better a real pro.

Steve Stube
11-10-2004, 04:00 PM
CHARDY, might look here and see if your National instruments unit is related to my National JET micro drilling machine.
http://www.najet.com/tooling/newDefault.htm