PDA

View Full Version : making fishing weights into gold...

dsergison
11-10-2004, 11:59 AM
So, What WAS the point?

the whole article contradicts it's self.

#1 it says you can through harden low carbon steel. Then admits that it's probably because the low carbon steel wasn't really that low carbon. It says the steel was "hot rolled, right off the rack" but nobody knows what was on the rack to begin with. What sort of hot rolled? It's not fair to call it mild, low carbon steel just because it's hot rolled, un quantified, mystery metal.

#2 following a recipie. Then change the recipie at the end of the article, and say the it works just as well. Don't bother to carry it out and find out what works best and what doesnt work as well, but just try two other things and say they work just as well? WHAT KIND OF SCIENTIFIC METHOD IS THAT?

That article really burned me up.

Dan Sergison

pgmrdan
11-10-2004, 12:05 PM
I was surprised the article was published and at how long it was.

The article started out saying a big secret was going to be given and it ended up that the big secret was basically using dishwater!

Evan
11-10-2004, 12:25 PM
????????

dsergison
11-10-2004, 12:30 PM
???????? +?
-My telepathy is down today Evan. Sorry.

Evan
11-10-2004, 12:34 PM
What are you talking about?

JRouche
11-10-2004, 12:54 PM
I think:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/008520.html

JRouche

dsergison
11-10-2004, 01:05 PM
yup, that would be it. I forgot that we beat that horse good and dead already. I got my issue yesterday.

Evan, the article was full of stuff about turning scrap into gold and other such alchemy.. for humors sake of course. still it sucked for what could have been a technical article.

BillH
11-10-2004, 01:10 PM
I turned some crap into gold, You ever take apart old inkjet printers?
I took apart 2 HP inkjets, each one had 2 steppers, and a mabuchi 550 motor, Precision ground steel rods, tons of nice gears, those plastic/rubber wheels for drawing in the paper make perfect wheels for all sorts of projects, lots of springs, some sping steel, a power supply, tons of electronic components if you got a desoldering station, just lots of goodies.

johnoder
11-10-2004, 01:35 PM
As a follow up to my topic listed as a link in an above post, a few emails to Neil got a "I see your point - thanks for heads up" or similar reply.

John

Tinker2
11-10-2004, 05:34 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:

I took apart 2 HP inkjets, each one had 2 steppers, and a mabuchi 550 motor, Precision ground steel rods, tons of nice gears, </font>

Bill
I think I will look inside before I dump any more printers.
Tell me what kind of project you got in mind?? Not that I need more
project to do but you never know.

pgmrdan
11-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Even a printer cartridge can have a useful piece of strong, polished wire.

I have two working dot matrix printers that I've thought about tearing apart but I've heard there's a market for them. A lot of companies still print multi-part forms with them and they're getting scarce and somewhat valuable.

BillH
11-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Heres a pic of the main components, theres tons of screws and other hardware in a box from the printers that I didnt feel like pouring onto my bed http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
http://home.comcast.net/~billh308/printerparts.jpg
Well, I still need to find out the specs for those steppers, they are 5 wires, and 7.5 deg step. If I had enough of those black wheels, I'd probably go ahead and start a Tiger or Panther Tank model. Theres so many uses for those wheels, people who built sumo robots could use em. Idea I had in mind, hmm, I want to make a small CNC router gantry table for cutting out model airplane wing ribs and formers from light ply and balsa. The polished rods you see are probably just drill rod, any case, they would make good ways for a gantry table. Also those 2 plastic strips you see in the pic, those are Encoder strips, look at them really close, you can see tiny little black lines. DRO's anyone? use with a quadrature setup.

Evan
11-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Dan,

Dot matrix printers aren't scarce. Epson still makes a full lineup.

Epson (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductCategory.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0074919474.11 00123934@@@@&BV_EngineID=haddccckgellbfdmcfjgckidnk.0&cookies=no&oid=-8185)

ibewgypsie
11-10-2004, 06:20 PM
I save all the good junk I can. problem is sorting through all of it. I have one bucket that has been called by a friend a ten year bucket. If you need any small piece of metal or one sheetmetal screw it is in there.

I am kinda bummed out.. I spent most the day mounting a dc motor and gearbox. Today trying to power it up, it discovered it was locked up.. Not all the way, just half a round then locked up solid.. Bummer.. Lost the whole day since I don't have a duplicate.

I did find seven or eight .436 rpm motors with 1/8hp motors.. now what is the heck were they on? Too slow for even a chain gantry machine..

David

pgmrdan
11-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Evan,

I never see them for sale so I took the guy's word for it. I suppose it's OK to start stripping them down.