PDA

View Full Version : OT: Computer question,Outlook Distress

wierdscience
11-10-2004, 12:57 AM
I have a customer who needs to send me an attachment,but evertime he sends it,all I get is "OE removed access for the following unsafe attachments"
How do I access the attachment?

J Tiers
11-10-2004, 01:07 AM
Let me guess, XP, service pack 2?

You are now the 4th person I know of with that same problem, with the same software.

Supposedly, it only strips off certain things, like .exe files etc. In practice, it seems to do much more.

Try Mozilla........so far I like it a lot.

Of course, now that the "Apple non-vulnerability" is a thing of the past, Mozilla will probably be the next victim of concerted attacks.

Joel
11-10-2004, 04:04 AM
Just click on "Forward" and when the email comes up, click on the attachment. It will then ask you if you want to open it or save it.

Evan
11-10-2004, 04:19 AM
That is the default setting for Lookout Express. Open it. Go Tools>Options>Security and uncheck the box that says Do Not Allow Attachments to be saved or opened .... blah blah..

J Tiers
11-10-2004, 09:40 AM
That was the advice I gave the folks myself, got it thru googling "blocked attachments" and "outlook".

I don't have XP at home but we do have office XP at work.'

I tried CHECKING that box (unchecked at work). Figured I'd see what it did.

Guess what?

After I CHECKED IT to "do not allow attachments", I STILL COULD receive any attachment that I chose to send to it.....

So, my question to you, is what does that box actually affect, if anything?

wierdscience
11-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Evan got it,check and sure enough the box was checked,unchecked it and presto.

Now,to answer JT's question about what does that box effect if anything?
Apparently it only blocks attachments you actually need or want.This is what was throwing me off,before I was getting every attachment I didn't want.

Microsoft ad the otherday "Now packed with even more features to make your life more productive" Hahahahahahahhaha.....hahahahahahahaahahh....they packed it with more features?I wish they had just one and it worked http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

DBW
11-10-2004, 10:06 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by J Tiers:
That was the advice I gave the folks myself, got it thru googling "blocked attachments" and "outlook".

I don't have XP at home but we do have office XP at work.'

I tried CHECKING that box (unchecked at work). Figured I'd see what it did.

Guess what?

After I CHECKED IT to "do not allow attachments", I STILL COULD receive any attachment that I chose to send to it.....

So, my question to you, is what does that box actually affect, if anything?</font>

Lot's of times after changing settings you have reboot to put them into effect.

SGW
11-10-2004, 10:08 AM
"Apparently it only blocks attachments you actually need or want.This is what was throwing me off,before I was getting every attachment I didn't want."

Microsoft knows what you want! Who the hell do you think you are, second-guessing God? ...yeah.

Evan
11-10-2004, 11:36 AM
When it is checked it blocks anything that might contain a virus. That isn't just executables and there are plenty of executable file types. It also blocks PDF since there is one PDF based virus known and it blocks DOC (Word) since there are scads of Word macro viruses. The list of extensions it blocks is quite long.

jburstein
11-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Sorry to hijack, but you folks seem to have some experience with SP2. Is it worth it? I haven't upgraded yet because I've heard it's messy.

Opinions? Thanks in advance.

-Justin

PHiers
11-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Justin, I have heard of some people having problems after installing SP2. My own experience has been positive though. I installed in on 5 computers at my office and one at home as well as 3 or 4 for friends. All of these computers are "newish" not sure if that makes a difference or not. Your mileage may vary. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

------------------
Paul in NE Ohio

Wayne02
11-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Another outlook question since we are talking about it.

I use OL2002 with xp pro. I can't remember how to clear the completed tasks from the task view. I can check the "complete" box for each task, but can't remember how I clear the list of completed items?

Thanks
Wayne

J Tiers
11-10-2004, 09:35 PM
They installed SP3 (service pack three) at work, which really fouled things up.

BTW, the checkbox (actually a "radio button") is NOT under tools/options/security.

I found it under mail send-receive properties (I don't remember the exact path now, not at work now to check)

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 11-10-2004).]