PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a drill press

mawilson
11-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Hello. First off, I'd like to say what a great site this is. I have gotten very interested in machining because of it and will be buying a lathe once I save for a few months. I will be getting a drill press pretty soon and am currently trying to decide which brand of press to get. Craftsman has a 12" bench model for $179 and Tractor Supply has a larger Clarke floor model for the same price with a small vice included. Normally I'd go with the craftsman, but lately I've been hearing that SOME of the import tools aren't that bad. I would like to get a mill and use it as a press, but I don't have that kind of money right now or any time soon. I'm curious to hear what everyone's opinion is about what the better deal is. Thanks, Matt
Thanks, Matt

BillH
11-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Craftsman are import tools now too.
Basically you want a drill press that you cannot feel any play in the spindle. Some of these drill presses have horrible runout. Also dont want designs where the table is able to flex under load. 175$ I bought a used Buffalo 18" drill press. Just go thru them all, lower the spindle, and see if you can feel any play.

hoffman
11-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Don't forget about spindle speeds. Get one that has a good usable range.

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

J Tiers
11-10-2004, 09:33 PM
And remember also quill travel.......5" or more is good, but many have only 3" or so.

Tinkerer
11-10-2004, 10:23 PM
I purchased a delta drill press from lowe's... it lasted 3 days ( spindle crapped out ). Packed it back up. I looked at other models and ended up with a Clark Metal Worker... from TSC. Been real happy with it.. and Clark's customer servers is really good as well. I put a 4" cross slide vise on it from HF. Made up a custom set of jaw and a sliding parts gauge stop for doing repetitive drilling. 3569 holes to date and vary happy. I'm also happy with the Drill Doctor I got with the cost difference between the two machines. High cost does not always mean better Quality. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Tim