PDA

View Full Version : Tramming in a mill head.

charlie coghill
11-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Sometime back there was a thread on tramming in the mill head. Some one suggested using the outer race of a large bearing.

It was such a good idea that I found 3 bearings about 6 inchs in Dia. than I cut out the interrace. I want to place a magnet from a speaker in the center of the bearing and fill the remaining space with liquid epoxy.

Will the heat of the curring epoxy be great enough to damage the magnet? Inquirring minds want to know.

The magnet will keep the bearing race from sliding around on the mill table. To use, the table and magnet will have to be free of chips.

I thought that if this works it would be a nice gift for a couple of other machinest friends.

Thanks for any comments Guys.
Charlie

Forrest Addy
11-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Too much screwing around and that magnet will instantly pick of chip beards almost impossible to remove completely. Fancy tramming rings are less than time effective.

Tram directly off the table or use a 1-2-3 block by sliding it under the indicator.

gglines
11-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Charlie: I have epoxied lots of rare earth magnets to no ill effect that I can tell. Even if you reduced the holding power somewhat, it wouldn't seem to matter in your application.

George

darryl
11-11-2004, 01:28 AM
I share the concern about the magnet picking up swarf that might interfere with the ring setting flat on the table. If you set the magnet up into the ring a tad, say 1/16 inch, you would be able to wipe out most stuff, and whatever fuzz remains would not touch the table, so that could work. I bet the ring would pick up some magnetism though, and hold stuff to itself causing the same possible problem. If you do it, the epoxy curing won't generate enough heat to diminish the magnetism. I've heated a ring magnet assembly enough to remove the metal pole pieces without destroying the magnet.

Doc Nickel
11-11-2004, 01:53 AM
There is no reason I can see to have a magnet "hold down" the tram ring. If your indicator is shoving a 6" steel ring around as you sweep, it might be time to check your indicator and setup.

Doc.