PDA

View Full Version : OT: any of you see "Rides" on TV last night?

gizmo2
11-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Some guys in SoCal helped their buddy build a t-bucket they named "Bad News." It was '27 T on a Model A frame, Olds engine, LaSalle tranny, and a basket full of Strombergs to mix the fuel. Everything else cobbled up. Two things impressed me greatly. The guy that pinstriped did it all freehand, and he was amazing. But better still, the guys all chipped in their talent and acted HUMAN to one another through the entire build. I'm quite sick of the car/cycle shows with the artificial deadlines, a $250,000 budget, and all the guys treating one another like something they stepped in. These guys put together a nice old school hotrod. Just wondering if any of you caught it.

PSD KEN
11-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Dang! Missed it.
Tired of all the Discovery shows, SOS, deadline, wrong part,screeching, but they live happily ever after.

pgmrdan
11-10-2004, 10:31 PM
I didn't catch it but I know what you mean about the other shows.

The only one I like is the Boyd Coddington crew. They seem to have a lot of the same lines as the Orange County Cycles show but there seems to be a lot more talent.

The OCC group seems to resort to the BFH all the time to make things fit because they mess up all the time.

spkrman15
11-10-2004, 11:25 PM
Chip Foose, from OverHaulin' is really amazing. The stuff they do in a week is just incredible. It is usually on just before Rides.

Have any of you seen the Biker Build-off series? Where do they find all these guys...better yet, Who has all this money to buy these machines?

Rob http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Rustybolt
11-10-2004, 11:34 PM
I have a confession to make. I'm addicted to monster garage.

BillH
11-11-2004, 12:25 AM
I actually enjoy all these shows. Ofcourse most of the time I am patiently waiting for them to use a lathe or a mill, and that is once in a blue moon. I liked the monster garage episode with the race against the steam locomotive.
American chopper, it's a freaking male soap opera, as is Wing nuts. Wing Nuts, I watched it for first time last night, and was shocked at the end of the episode they dedicated it to one of the stars who died unexpectedly. During that episode they fired him.
It just bugs me to see them take vintage airplane parts and ruin them, or kill airplanes to get parts. Bugs me in the same way as parters on Ebay are with south bend lathes.
Anyone else notice that American Chopper bikes look like utter crap, until the painter comes to save the day? I just saw the episode where Campo ran his gloved hand into the drill bit on the press. Why he wasn't using a lathe for that operation I dont know. I wonder how often producers are pushing these guys to fight each other, and what they are really like off the camera?
Gizmo2, I have not seen the TLC channel shows you speak of yet, but I like what I am hearing. I used to watch TLC all the time until they went to sissy panzy crap. Sounds like they are going back to more discovery channel type programming.

Thrud
11-11-2004, 03:13 AM
I like the Rides, overhaulin' and biker build off series the blue & white chopper with the air ride suspension that sat down on the ground (no kick stand!) won the series and was sold for $200,000 by the builder. It was by far the nicest bike built.

x39
11-11-2004, 10:48 AM
I kind of had to chuckle at one of the recent Monster Garage shows. They built a chopper based on a Harley big twin, with the focus of the show being to show how a nice bike could be built in one's own garage at an "affordable" cost. "Affordable" turned out to be around $55,000.00 at the final tally!!!

Wayne02
11-11-2004, 12:48 PM
I like myth busters. Couple of guys making stuff.

Stuff that is not detail designed and analyzed on pro engineer.

Stuff that doesn't have a huge drawing packet.

Stuff that sometimes works, and sometimes does not work the way it was expected to.

Stuff that blows up.

Stuff that is sometimes bordering on downright dangerous.

Stuff that is ugly.

Stuff that is violent.

Stuff that is backyard engineered on the fly.

Stuff that is made of a variety of different materials.

Stuff that has fire involved.

Just a couple of guys making stuff.

That's what life in the shop is all about.

Wayne

BillH
11-11-2004, 01:00 PM
I like that show too