PDA

View Full Version : Super-precision Hardinge for under $1000?

Elninio
11-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Check this link out...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57033&item=3851139806&rd=1

theres gotta be something wrong with it right??? i mean.. super-precision for under 500$ how is that possible?

hoffman
11-09-2004, 09:56 PM
A lot can happen in 3 days. Be neat to see how much it goes for.

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

BillH
11-10-2004, 12:23 AM
Maybe I'll get lynched for saying this, but why is that lathe so popular? The tail stock looks under built, and has a dove tail way, which is something that I heard of myfords drawing ire about.
Despite those things, I hear these are extremely accurate lathes, so why would that type of way be considered a minus point on a myford? Or is it?

Rustybolt
11-10-2004, 12:30 AM
Bill. They are very heavy for what they are. Basically a Monarch EE on the cheap.And just as accurate. For as heavy as it is, it is underpowered in my opinion.

andypullen
11-10-2004, 09:04 AM
I don't agree with you on the EE comments, Rustybolt. I have run both machines. Both are nice, but I've found the HLV-H to be more solid. (The EE is a nice machine, too. Don't get me wrong.) If I had to make a choice it would be the HLV-H. I have one in the shop I work in now and I wouldn't trade it. I wouldn't turn down the Monarch especially if it had a tracer attachment. The first thing I would do with the EE is remove the expensive vacuum tubes in the control and get the solid state retrofit for it.

Bill, you need to run one of these lathes. There are some differences with "standard" lathes. There's no threading dial on it and the coursest thread it will do is a 10 tpi. You don't disengage the half nut when threading on it so the threading dial isn't required. The top lever reverses the direction of the lead screw and you just back the crossfeed out at the end of the cut. There's also a stop built into the lead screw actuater. Once, it's set you just go to town. I really like running it.

Hoffman's right. Check the price near the end of the auction. I've seen used ones go for $10k.

Andy Pullen

wierdscience
11-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Andy,I agree the Hardinge does somethings better than the 10EE,but if you ever do get one keep the tubes.Both solid state conversions I have used sucked horribly,maybe they have fixed it now,but I don't like a 15% drop in speed when starting a pass.The old motor/generator units are the best.
I saw one 10EE on a gov auction website,it was out in Iowa,it had everything including to vidmar cabinets full of tooling.It sold for $1100.00,shame was I had the cash for the lathe,but not the shipping.

nheng
11-10-2004, 09:43 AM
BillH, While they are certainly popular, I think that used ones are grossly over-rated. If the machine is worn and does not meet spec, it immediately looses its luster unless you are prepared to rebuild it. For many of us this means shipping to and from Timbuktu (SP??).

Living with an HLV-x with wear and with no tailstock adjustability is really not much better than living with any other worn out lathe.

I've seen several HLV-x machines in my area and when they are beat, they are BEAT. I'm talking abused, no lubes, way looks like a mine field, spindle taper like a rotary burr, etc.

Now a clean, low mileage one with inch and metric threading ... that's sweet (but still pretty small capacity) http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
Den

JRouche
11-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Also realize this machine is a HLV-BK not a

HLV-EM-DR

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57033&item=3850142702&rd=1

or a HLV-H-DR

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57032&item=3850145303&rd=1

Which both look to be very nice machines.

Cept I am not allowed to buy a machine that costs more than my car! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif JRouche

PALux
11-10-2004, 01:16 PM
It might be cheap because it comes with nothing. I see empty collet racks and absolutely no tools with it. Might be nice if you have another like it completely tooled but for the small shop the cost of tooling could put the price out of site.
Phil

beckley23
11-10-2004, 07:39 PM
weirdscience- the solid state conversion EE's you ran were probably suppling 180 VDC max to the armature of a 240 VDC motor. There will be a fall off in performance after you have reached approx 3/4's of the base speed. I found out the hard way, and my EE is now a VFD conversion.
Harry

Elninio
11-11-2004, 08:32 AM
guys its still under one grand with one day to go!

Milacron of PM
11-11-2004, 09:21 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It might be cheap because it comes with nothing. </font>

It's cheap (so far) because it's not an HLV-H, but the much older HLV-BK...narrower ways, weak tailstock, etc. plus it's ugly, washed out screen printing on data and speed plates indicate it's seen ~alot~ of use, so probably wear issues to consider.

Night and day difference between that lathe and a proper HLV-H in excellent cond., hence, low price.

Spin Doctor
11-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Maybe Don, but I wouldn't kick it out of my basement if I had it