PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on purchasing hand reamers?

pgmrdan
11-11-2004, 04:14 PM
What do you recommend I look for in a hand reamer? What's a good source?

I'm going to be needing a couple of different sizes shortly and have never used one.

Thanks,
Dan

rotate
11-11-2004, 04:29 PM
Get a spiral instead of a straight flute.

Al Messer
11-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Why, "rotate"? I've never had any trouble with a hand reamer with straight flutes--just have to be very careful to not let them load up with chips and keep them aligned with the hole at all times. "pgmrdan" look at Traver's Tools catalogue.

SGW
11-11-2004, 08:41 PM
I'm partial to spiral flute reamers myself. I discovered (purely by astounding fortuitious circumstance, I hasten to add, not outstanding skill) that a straight flute reamer produces ever-so-slighlty lobed holes. I found this out when I reamed a hole with a straight-flute reamer and the pin I put into it just happened to be *just* the right size to make contact only on the lobes left by the reamer, so they became visible as shiny lines when I pulled the pin out again.

Now, we're probably talking a ten-thousandth or two at most, and for almost any job it's irrelevant. But I thought it was interesting. I assume a spiral-flute reamer wouldn't do that.

PolskiFran
11-11-2004, 08:57 PM
While I do have and use straight flute hand reamers in the shop, I am partial to the spiral flute. They are much handier to run through a pulley or sprocket that has a keyway already broached in it.

Frank