PDA

View Full Version : Reaming/chambering BS story question

mpbush
11-11-2004, 11:39 AM
a supposed irag veteran posted the following on a board I monitor and it sounds like compleate BS to me....what are your learned thoughts?

The guy was supposedly in the Iraqi national weapons factory and was looking at their chambering machines for AKs and he states the following:

"When I took the barrel out of the fixture and looked at the chamber which had been cut, something did not appear quite right. The shadows which played across the chamber as I rotated the barrel cast some kind of weird reflection. After looking at it under direct sunlight, the problem because obvious: the chamber was shaped like an elongaged football!

I went back to the chambering reamer (still in its fixture) and it was visibly bent like a banana. I then went through several dozen barrels laying in that cart and they, too, all had been chambered wrong. No telling how many AK's had been made with that reamer...and the resulting problems to be had by the hapless Iraqi soldier issued a rifle from that batch."

I think that a chambering reamer would break before any significant bending and even still would produce a LARGER chamber and could not produce and egg shapped one?

Tinker2
11-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Maybe a Star Wars thing, to make the Iraqi to lose faith in their weapons??
Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by Tinker2 (edited 11-11-2004).]

Yankee1
11-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Hello MPBush,
I am inclined to agree with you. If everything is not aligned perfect I can't see how the reamer could be rotated without
enlarging the chamber.But eliptical? I don't think so.
Chuck

Rustybolt
11-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Reamers bend to a certain degree. A lot of things can effect their performance. One of the biggest is chips lodged in the lands, forcing the reamer to one side.
An AK isn't a precision piece of equipment. An AK made in a third world country is going to be even less so. Even with a miss reamed chamber the rifle will probobly do what it was designed to do.

IOWOLF
11-11-2004, 05:36 PM
I wasn't aware they made ak's in iraq. in fact I'm pretty sure they don't.This is just my limited knowledge.

gizmo2
11-11-2004, 10:08 PM
H&K (I think) made fluted chambers for a time. Wasn't reamed but hammer forged, and the brass was unusable for reloading. Dunno if they still use the technique or not, I'm not into that aspect of the hobby. Banana reamers, what a concept.

Michael Az
11-12-2004, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't be at all supprised if that is a true story. When a governments funds are running low, these things are common.
The Japanese produced the strongest rifles during WW11. Also the ugliest! But in the end, they were producing rifles that might blow up the first round that was fired. Another consideration is, I believe most of the military 7.62 X 39 ammo is in a steel case which won't expand like a brass case and it isn't nearly as picky about chamber dimension. Just my thoughts
Michael