PDA

View Full Version : Apparently CNC Is Getting Too Expensive

Tuckerfan
11-11-2004, 08:40 PM
I get an email from NASA a couple of times a week that has tech briefs and requests for new ideas. Some of the stuff's pretty interesting, but little of it has anything to with machining. Today's email had this little tidbit in it:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">New production or manufacturing technology for the metalworking industry. Niche technology not available or implemented. Must be proprietary, patented and/or know-how intensive. Preferrably for cutting, shaping or forming metal (ferrous and/or non-ferrous. Wide field of potential application.

This technology or technologies should replace current CNC machining or close tolerance forming and forging.</font>If anybody's got any ideas, they can respond here: http://www.yet2.com/app/list/wantad?id=5272&sid=90&abc=0

jlh28
11-12-2004, 10:59 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tuckerfan:
[B]I get an email from NASA a couple of times a week that has tech briefs and requests for new ideas. Some of the stuff's pretty interesting, but little of it has anything to with machining. Today's email had this little tidbit in it: [QUOTE]New production or manufacturing technology for the metalworking industry. Niche technology not available or implemented. Must be proprietary, patented and/or know-how intensive. Preferrably for cutting, shaping or forming metal (ferrous and/or non-ferrous. Wide field of potential application.

This technology or technologies should replace current CNC machining or close tolerance forming and forging.</font>If anybody's got any ideas, they can respond here

That is NASA for you. Lets reinvent everything and waste a large portion of our budget doing it.

ibewgypsie
11-12-2004, 11:50 AM
I personally think it has already been invented.

Problem is, too many damn cnc types of software. IN 91 there was 65,000 known robotic languages available.. each engineer was writing or modifying his own I think.

THEY need one software that fits all. Let'em learn turbocnc.. It should fit all.

Too many bells and whistles on 90% of the cnc software out there. Simplification on a stable operating bass is what a machine needs..

Windows has timing subroutines to make it multi-tasking. That really confuses a timing subroutine that has accellerated a table with machining load applied to it.

SO, NO fancy windows - apple type operating system works with cnc.. THE mach2 Windows XP system has a timing program running it's own OS in the background. It calls it out to run at set times. So does Linux EMC, what does this do for the other devices on the machine like the ethernet and hard drives.. well if can confuse operation making them "buggy".

SIMPLE is better. A single tasking computer running a single task. Basically that amounts to Dos with not Terminate(13) and stay resident programs running in the background.
NO virus, no bugs, no complications = No problems.. just cut parts and production.

It might not take me much longer to revert back to turbocnc here. And I have not even looked at the most current version of that yet.

You can add fancy hubcaps and fender skirts but does it make it do more work? If not it is not needed. Kinda like the choppers with ornamental iron welded to them for appearance..

Meanwhile the chinese keep pumping out parts with simple tools and simple people under the guidance of engineers as fine as anywhere in the world.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia