PDA

View Full Version : Job Offer

Rustybolt
11-12-2004, 09:02 AM
After over two years of sitting on my ever growing ass, I can go to work. A place that rebuilds punch presses had an add for a machinist and I answered it. Turns out that what they wanted was someone to help scrape in bearing surfaces. I told the owner that I didn't have much experience scraping. He said I was the first "machinist" who's shown up that could single point threads and even knew what a scraper looked like.The guy that was doing it now would show me the ropes. That made me feel pretty good. Apparently there are a lot of unemployed mold makers out there who don't know how to run a lathe or set up a mill.
The down side is there are no machines in the shop that are newer than me (50+)I'd of liked to hone some of my CNC knowledge, but scraping is a skill I just have to learn.

wierdscience
11-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Good deal,hey I like old machines,they have personality unlike those stump-dumb cnc machines http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

vinito
11-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Must be a good week for the unemployed. I just got hired as well after 8 months of involuntary vacation. I'm going to miss the free time.

Scraping sounds like real work, but I sure would like to learn how to do it. Maybe you could take good notes and write a book. My new job is a lead position at a place that makes after-market superchargers. I'm not a motor-head by nature, but it should be pretty interesting. I'm thinking I could bring home non-conforming parts and eventually assemble one to put on my own project. After a while I might be submitting an article to Neil on how to have the fastest riding lawnmower in the neighborhood.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Congrats on the new job.

Rustybolt
11-12-2004, 10:52 AM
You too vinnie. I think I'm up to the scraping part. I was glad to notice that there was a chainfall or winch just about every 25 feet in the shop. I'm not wreckin' my back again for nobody.

Paul Alciatore
11-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Congrats!

Sounds like a good job and a chance to learn something. I wish I knew more about scraping.

With your positive attitude I'm sure you will be an asset there.

Paul A.

moldmonkey
11-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Congrats both of you

Maybe the economy is coming back.

Jon