PDA

View Full Version : belt drive turret mill

.RC.
11-12-2004, 04:35 AM
I'm having trouble finding a variable speed turret mill in my price range. There are a number of belt drive available. I only have a belt drive drill press it has m section belts and is hopeless. Are the belt drive turret mills better or do their belt slip all day long as well. Do the variable speeds work well at low speeds or do they stall due to lack of torque.

Alan in Oz
11-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Ringer,
Vari speed drive mills like the Bridgeport and clones work on an expanding / contracting pulley arrangement like the Massey 585 header drum drive. Very good as motor runs at constant speed. Variable Frequency drives (VFD) change the output frequency for speed control and much below about 30Hz loose efficiency and airflow cooling. V belt drives do have limitations on transmitted power, but typically on small machines (mills) the belt contact area around small diameter pulleys looses it. By using a toothed belt (sometimes called coged belts) small radiuses become less of a problem. I had a VM1 mill and the original B section belts were about as pliable as thick walled polly pipe (hopeless). In general good belts and a VFD should work fine, I have not yet seen a vari speed mill in single phase as original equipment.

wierdscience
11-12-2004, 10:01 AM
You can do nearly anything you want with a step pulley b-port mill or one of the clones.They come single and three~.For the higher speeds they use a simple v-belt step cone drive and for the lower they use an additional cog belt and backgear for added torque.
We have a Taiwan copy at work with a 2hp single ~ motor that will not stall or slip a belt.I routinely run 4" and larger hole saws with no problem and 1-1/4" drills with no pilot hole.
VS heads are nice,but I prefer the step pulley machines for several reasons.One the v-belt almost never needs changing,if it does you can get one from your local auto parts store.
The machines are quiet and less complicated than the VS heads and they are shorter making tooling changes easier.
If you really want variable speed you can get a 3~ unit and add a VFD.

.RC.
11-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks for that I've got a bit closer to making my decision. It probably will be a step pulley mill now. And I have a few models to choose from.

gundog
11-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Weirdscience I am not trying to correct your post but if you want to know the phase symbol Ø Press alt 0216.
Mike

.RC.
11-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Have finally decided on the X6232 3hp turret mill. There are chinese and taiwanese versions available. The taiwanese ones are made of meehanite, I don't think the chinese ones are. So I think I will get a taiwanese one.

Sometime down the track I might get a speed controller for the motor and then have the best of both worlds step pulley with variable speed.

Elninio
11-12-2004, 10:05 PM
I think gear head is superior http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif just an opinion though

.RC.
11-13-2004, 03:33 AM
Yea possibly Elnino but you find me a geared head turret mill with 16 speeds from 60 to 4200 in my price range.

Now I have found a taiwanese x6323 with vari speed. I will be giving it some serious thought.

Hi Alan, Know what you mean about the 585 header. My father used to run a pto drive one. Very itchy job.

See Ya