PDA

View Full Version : Owners of Gear-head mills , help plz!

Elninio
11-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Please post pros/ cons about these machines because i might be buying one!! (finaly). Also please post pictures if possible, (a pic is worth thousand words http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif ) Ive seen the machines from enco, rong fu, lathermaster.com , wttool.com, pentoolco.com , industrialhobbies.com, luckesmachinery.com etc..

what ive notice is that some sell for more/less. do the ones that sell for less have some compromise? i was comparing this type of mill with dovetail column. Only diffreence is that the industrialhobbies one has bigger table. Thanks http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

JRouche
11-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Seems to me you have been running through this question alot lately.

My suggestion for you is to ask very specific questions at this point. You "appear" to be trolling even though you my be genuine. JRouche.

zl1byz
11-12-2004, 07:33 AM
I agree with you JRouche. Elninio I feel you are not being honest with us. You have posted before claiming not to know much about machinery, but you later identified a unusual machine correctly. Also your profile states your ocupation and interest as machinery. So why do you keep claiming a lack of knowledge, when you clearly do have knowledge on this subject. If this is some perverted type of advertising please give it up.

John.

.RC.
11-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Like I said in my post in your other thread. Gear heads are good for quick speed changes, positive drive at low speed and heavy drilling.

They have a lack of rigidity for low speed milling work

They have a distinct lack of available speeds and do not have a high speed.

I have a geared head mill and it is excellent for the drilling I do(up to 30mm). It is a poor mill though but does the job.

You need to let people know what sort of work you want to do with it.

See Ya

torker
11-12-2004, 08:57 AM
Another thing... Elninio, I see you are know giving out machining advice (manual feed thread). So what's up with that? Are you guessing or do you really know?

Elninio
11-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Well since ive only been researching for 3-4 months on machinery i dont really know what. Every time i hear something from my dad its something to think about. I'm just trying to get the most i can.

Elninio
11-12-2004, 10:21 PM
torker i just post what i've heard from others. What i need is a good solid machine that is small, bridgeport is nice, but big.. Price is also a factor..

Elninio
11-12-2004, 10:28 PM
"specific", okay, here ,

Are they rigid machines, or is there a benchtop model that is more rigid than the dovetail coloumn version of this mill?

.RC.
11-12-2004, 10:46 PM
There are small knee mills around. You just have to search.

torker
11-13-2004, 02:39 AM
Elninio...Geez you'll have to forgive me! I only post advice here that I know how to do(mostly welding related...my trade) or about machinery that I own or use. If you give advice about something you don't know how to do then how do you answer follow up or more indepth questions? Just a suggestion....there are guys here who have forgotten more than I'll ever know about machining and I ask a lot of questions...usually after using any search functions available. I try not to be a pain in the butt...get my drift?

Elninio
11-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Hey ringer i've seen small knee mills, i dont like them that much. The local store priced them at 3000+ theyr smaller than the drill/mills..

mochinist
11-13-2004, 01:02 PM
If I was a troll I would want a smaller mill, that way I would not have to stand on a stool when I used it.

aboard_epsilon
11-13-2004, 01:45 PM
He He He ....Machinist ....Good one.
also he could set up his shop under a bridge http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
all the best...mark

Toolbert
11-13-2004, 02:16 PM
You don't "need" a gear-head mill/drill any more than you need a vari-speed Bridgeport head.

My RF20 mill/drill (belt-drive, 330 lb version) will drill a 1" hole in 1" steel plate no problem. With a larger conventional drill bit, it's not possible to get enough belt tension on the spindle pulley. So I bought an insert-type spade drill for larger holes in steel.

I have a pretty good idea (not a troll) that the larger RF30 / ~650 lb version of this benchtop mill/drill will do much better even though it is still belt-drive.

If I had it to do again 10 years ago, I'd have bought the RF45 knee-type mill/drill, that is still a belt-drive benchtop machine but has all the advantage of a knee mill(rigidity, head adjustment w/o losing reference), is still home-shop sized, and with finesse can do anything a Bridgeport can.

The ideal setup of course is a belt drive head with a back gear, i.e. a modern Bridgeport style head, but I havent' seen that in a benchtop machine. This gives you quiet drive at high speed (4000 rpm or higher) and high torque at low speed (like 100 rpm or lower), far beyond the range of either an all-belt-drive machine or a gear-head mill/drill.

Bob

[This message has been edited by Toolbert (edited 11-13-2004).]