PDA

View Full Version : power feed

klemchuk
11-13-2004, 10:56 PM
Has anyone had any experience with Harbor Freight power feed? If so could you please comment?

ibewgypsie
11-13-2004, 11:50 PM
We had a post on twelve volt windshield wiper motors a while back. Seems they had a lifetime warranty from a certain auto supply.
Be quite easy to make a variable speed too.

To answer your question, no I have not seen one on machinery that worked. I have saw several apart and on the machines at auctions. I think the mills would have brought more without them.. Of course I don't know the circumstances of thier demise either.

Joel
11-14-2004, 12:35 AM
I have had one on a small mill for 3 or 4 years and haven't had any trouble with it (and it has seen some hard use). It looked the same as all of the other cheap power feeds, but was over $100 cheaper. I wasn’t too thrilled with the mounting arrangement and designed a bullet proof one for when it caused a problem. Here I am several years later with the original happily intact. I hardly ever use over the bottom 25% of its speed range, but it will slow to a crawl without difficulty if asked.

Cheap stuff is a risk, but my experience has been that if it works for a week, it will probably work for quite awhile. Push it hard right out of the box, if it fails, promptly return it and make the supplier pay for all shipping.