PDA

View Full Version : Mill Holders?

Tinkerer
11-14-2004, 01:26 AM
Ok.. I had been thinking about getting a milling attachment for the atlas.. but watching them go for mad money on ebay and being some what limiting on the rethink. So when the tool circus came to town and I pick up a Homier Mini Mill at a fantastic price.. cause I thought they had been selling them on ebay for a $100.00 less then the flyer and asked why the difference. They said they did not think so.. but maybe could knock off $70.00. I said sure figured shipping would cost more then that. As it turned out wrong machine wrong seller. Umm it was a honest mistake on my end. Anyway to the question R8 collets or weldon type tool holders. Should I buy a set or just the sizes I'll likely use.
Thanks Tim

SGW
11-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Just the sizes you'll use. I'm not familiar with the mill you got, but you will likely use only 3/16", 3/8", and 1/2". If at some point you need another size, buy it when you need it.

Choice between collets or end mill holders is pretty much up to you. I generally use collets because I'm a little cramped for vertical space on my mill and an end mill holder eats up an extra 2 or 3 inches. On the other hand, sometimes when milling a part there's a certain amount of interference and one needs the extra reach provided by the end mill holder to clear obstructions. I've got a 3/8" Weldon-style end mill holder I use occasionally.

Another thought is one of the ER-style double angle collet sets.

Tinkerer
11-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks SGW... The mill is this MODEL (http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/Reviews/Homier/Homier_mill_p1.htm) here although mine came encapsulated inside a foam block as well as a plastic bag in the wooden crate. Of course I still need to unpack it (clean it ) and get it mounted to the table I just finished making for it. I was leaning toward a collect set as a first buy but was worried about tool slippage especially with dovetail cutter. But now I think I look into a mix set of collets and holder. Also anyone purchase a set of those imported 52 pcs t-nut clamp set on ebay... are they ok or are they soft metal junk?

Thanks Tim