PDA

View Full Version : shop hoist

JPR
11-14-2004, 03:53 AM
the subject of making some kind of hoist for the shop has come up several times and I could not find this link. Well, I finally found it. This is a different approach (also a lot of work and time), but might give some and idea or two.
http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/projects/crane/crane.html

ibewgypsie
11-14-2004, 09:20 AM
OOMMPHF..

I lifted my 200 so pound rotary indexer again yesterday to clean the rats nest of shavings. I bought a roll around cart, it is covered up with jigs and tooling. I really like that the way it is now. I plan on building a jib crane on the back of my machine like JOHN did.. ANother one on the Punch press. Another one on the English wheel frame.

Things I lift regularly.. a small 12" pan box brake (150 or more lbs) THE large indexer w/stepper hanging off side, THE tubing bender (together it weighs a lot) The gearbox on the feed for the punch press, and lately, the homemade solid slip rolls and bead roller.

I'd love to have a monorail, unfortunatly my shop is 2x4 construction and thou the ridge is made from plywood and OSB nailed to upper.lower 2x6 and stout, the ceiling joists are glued and nailed in the middle and are not. WHen I knocked out the end wall with the lathe I learned just how strong that ridge system is. The building should have fell.. I bet you could lift a car with that type system. It sat and rocked, roof never waivered. My PE engineer brother said it was like a 3 foot web Ibeam except not so heavy..

I'll look again, but I don't think I can do that here.. it'd sure be nice thou. When I lifted the 250+lb lower bed off the press and hurt my back again.. yeah.. it'd be nice.. I bet that 50 ton press would bend a 4" HOT Ibeam.

I do have this paintline chain conveyor, about 200 feet of it thou.. HA.. never thought of that.. It is a open slotted channel.. RUn it out into the field to unload a truck.. HA.. Not sure of the capacity per foot thou.. It is about a 11ga..

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Michael Az
11-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Very nice work, JPR. But I think you are right about too much work for me. I don't think my arthritis would let me build it.
Michael

Milacron of PM
11-14-2004, 11:00 AM
If anyone is interested, I attended an auction a few months ago where there was lots of curved hoist track, plus straight sections, that didn't get a bid and might still be available...esp considering the seller was a machinery dealer (supposedly retiring, hence the auction)

As I recall the condition was good..still bright yellow paint, but with "lint" all over it from it's previous stint in a textile mill. Piles and piles of the track.

Owner was Jim Knox Machinery in Anderson, SC

dvideo
11-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Great project. Great web site. What a nice job all around.

--jr