PDA

View Full Version : (OT) POR 15 Rust paint

torker
11-12-2004, 09:25 AM
In case you've wondered about this stuff...I'm rebuilding/modifying an old 1980 Toyota 4x4. The frame (in true old Toyota fashion) is rusted really badly. In fact I had to build a whole new backhalf of the frame. Anyway for the rest I decided to try POR 15 and am very surprised with the results so far. I bought their "Rust Converter" as well and am pleased to say it actually works. I have several other brands of this stuf and it doesn't seem to work nearly as well. The difference I see is when POR is applied to thick, flakey rust. It REALLY penetrates where the others all seem to sit on the top. And after you wire wheel an area free of heavy rust, apply the converter, wait a few minutes and you can wipe the rust off with a rag...right down to clean metal. I obviously haven't had real experience with the paint yet (other than putting it on) but so far it seems to be a pretty decent product. Our city works has used it for several years now and they claim great success with it, especially on the undersides of their sanding/salting trucks. So in case you where wondering about this stuff I hope this helps. BTW...The usual disclaimers apply. The only complaint I have is the price of this stuff but if it works it'll be worth it.
Russ

andypullen
11-12-2004, 10:14 AM
I've got the sample sized kit to "paint" the inside of my steam locomotive's tender tank. I used steel for the tank because that was what I had on hand. And, it's got about 500 drivescrews in it to resemble rivets. I'll post a report on it after I do the coating.

Andy Pullen

SGW
11-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the tip. I've got an '84 Toyota 4x4 that could use some help. Where do you get that stuff? An auto supply place?

pgmrdan
11-12-2004, 10:37 AM
They're at http://www.por15.com/ and (800) 457-6715.

I called them and they put me in touch with the closest distributor. He's not in my area so he sent the product to me with no charge for S&H.

They'll let you know who distributes the stuff closest to you.

Their products are listed in car restoration books so I think it's safe to assume they make a good product.

The usual disclaimers apply.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-12-2004).]

Arcane
11-12-2004, 11:44 AM
I have used Por-15 a bit and it does stand up to severe conditions about the best of anything I have seen so far, including some high quality frame paint and construction equipment paint. One thing you absolutely have to do is read the instructions and follow them to the letter, not so much for the application of it, but if you dip your brush back into the original container, you have contaminated it much like a drop of hardener in a can of fiberglass resin will contaminate it. The Por-15 hardens up in the can. (Just decant a small amount into another container and throw away what you don`t us of that.) Also you must never reseal the original container without placing a thin piece of plastic between the lid and container, if you don`t, the lid gets sealed on so tight, you will find it next to impossible, if not impossible, to remove it again next time you want to use it. I know some people never read instructions, so this is just a little warning that might save you from having to throw away a quantity of expensive paint.

[This message has been edited by Arcane (edited 11-12-2004).]

Paul Gauthier
11-12-2004, 01:03 PM
We are men, we don't need no steenkin instructions. That's what I tell my wife anyway, she just walks away laughing.

------------------
Paul G.

Mcruff
11-12-2004, 01:15 PM
If you don't read the instructions on this stuff and follow the directions you're gonna be wearing this stuff for quite awhile since the only way it comes off your skin is to wear off in a couple of weeks. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I used Eastwood rust incapsulator, it is basically the same as POR and they are both excellent but the Eastwood is faster drying and easier to work with. I belong to a Jeep forum and most of the guys have done this to there frames and such over the last 10 years or so. The stuff works great but do follow the instructions please.

torker
11-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Ummm...ya...I should have added that! Er...my fingers are all black and yer right..it WON'T come off. I did find that ordinary laquer thinner will reduce/clean it if you use it right away. Works great on brushes etc. but I left it on my fingers too long (sigh)

lynnl
11-13-2004, 01:01 PM
I used the POR 15 products to clean and coat the insides of 3 outboard motor fuel tanks. Was very pleased with the outcome. ...less than two years old now, but holding up good so far.

Dave Opincarne
11-13-2004, 01:09 PM
What kind of Toyota(s)??

Dave '89 FJ62, '70 FJ40

SGW
11-13-2004, 01:31 PM
I've got an '84 Xtracab pickup.It was the last year they had the solid front axle, I think. The bed rusted off about 9 years ago and I put a wood body on it. Then a couple years ago I got the cab repainted.

torker
11-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Dave...mine's a 1980 p/u 4x4. Doing a complete rebuild on it. I have a Chevy 4.3 that I'm rebuilding for it. Just about have the new backhalf finished,then on to a fancy new aluminum flat deck. Kinda anxious to try wheeling with it. I built new, longer spring packs for the rear using Camaro Main leaves and numerous other thinner leaves. Also want to put in a 700r4 and rear spring packs up front. I've built a lot of Jeeps but like this lil' Yota pickup a whole lot more. Has more room in it for an elk or a load of wood.

ben78
11-14-2004, 07:43 PM
Anyone know if this stuff can be bought in Australia? I have a Subaru that has spent the last ten years on the dirt roads and as such all the black protector stuff has come away and the whole underside has a light surface rust coat. I was just going to paint it all over the top with hydroseal but a decent rust remover wouldn't be a bad option first up!!

Mcruff
11-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Yes , this is located on the POR website.

Permanent Painted Coatings
Phone - 1800 643 229
Phone - 02 9999 0122
Web - http://www.ppc.au.com/
Email - sales@ppc.au.com

[This message has been edited by Mcruff (edited 11-14-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Mcruff (edited 11-14-2004).]