PDA

View Full Version : what to use instead of paint

bobs
11-12-2004, 09:06 AM
guys: I do not like to paint my engines. What else can be used that is not too thick but will stop tarnish?

wierdscience
11-12-2004, 09:34 AM
I'm assuming by tarnish you mean brass and the like so all I can say is in the past I have used Johnson Paste wax with good results,but it only lasts so long and has to be redone.
I have heard about using silverware polish,but have never tried it.
I do use Nu-finish car wax on my woodworking machine tables,it does repel water and lasts for quite a while,even stands up to humidity.

Rex
11-12-2004, 12:47 PM
I presume you are making model steam or IC engines?

You can thin shellac and dip some parts.

Nickle-plating is pretty easy to do.

pgmrdan
11-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Are you wanting something along the lines of a spray can of clear finish? If so, Rustoleum and others make some decent products for this.

Ted Coffey
11-12-2004, 06:08 PM
A few coats of spray clear lacquer will last for many years on brass. I have used this on an antique brass microscope which have not tarnished in over 20 years.

[This message has been edited by Ted Coffey (edited 11-12-2004).]

SJorgensen
11-13-2004, 01:57 AM
I've been getting good results on several items with boiled linseed oil. It penetrates well and dries to a hard dry finish. It is easy to apply and you can do second and third coats for a thicker polymer finish.

madman
11-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Kal Guard is a superb surface finish for metals. Used to use it on UDT weaponry for underwater special forces equipment. I also used to apply it to my custom drag bike engines and some of there other products on pistons. Good stuff. Glassbead surface spray on and bake in a OLD OVEN IT STINKS.