PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Parts

Arbo
11-14-2004, 02:08 PM
Does anyone have an online source for parts for the 4X6 chicom saw. I would like to replace the guide rollers on mine. Thanks!

klemchuk
11-14-2004, 04:00 PM
The guide rollers are actually ball bearings. I've replaced mine many times. When replacing them buy sealed bearings as opposed to the cheap sheilded ones that come with the saw. Good lock

Ries
11-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Jet is good about stocking parts for these saws. You can download a parts diagram from jet for free online,
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cfm?area=shop&action=manual_index
and see if it is the same as your saw- I know, they all look alike, but there are slight differences.
then you need to pretend you have a jet saw when you order the parts. Otherwise they will tell you the parts wont fit.
As klemchuk said, the blade guides on the better saws are just bearings, and can be ordered from any bearing house, or someplace like grainger. Some of the real cheap saws just use steel stampings for blade guides. These are not worth replacing. Put in bearings instead.
By the way, most of these saws are actually made by capitalists in Taiwan, not "Chicoms". So maybe we should call them "Chicap" saws.

steve
11-14-2004, 07:04 PM
grizzly sells a complete head, ball bearing and adjustable part #g4816.
40 bucks doesn't say if thats for one or two, i guess one.

Arthur Christopherson
11-15-2004, 09:00 PM
I've used bearings out of a computer hard drive that I scrapped, #6200Z. Don't know how long they'll last but the price was right. They vary from hard drive to hard drive so you may have to open a few up to find the right ones. I've also lubed bearings using a hypodermic needle, carefully going in under the edge of the seal. Position the slanted (sharp) portion away from the seal to avoid cutting it. On my radial saw, I used a # 70 drill to carefully put a hole in the metal seal/shield, lubed the bearing and then put a dab of silicone over the hole to seal it. It's been working for years since I did that.