PDA

View Full Version : Revolving License Plates

Dr. Rob
11-04-2004, 05:35 PM
Listen... I'e been having some trouble with parking tickets.

I was thinking about having revolving license plates. Anybody try this? Was thinking of using a triangular prism with three plates, powered by an electric motor (12V, so it can use the car's power supply) maybe a complete unit from a
cordless screwdriver, since they contain the whole planetary gearbox, clutch and motor, dirt cheap.

The question is, how to a) index the rotation so it always jibes with a 1/3 revolution and b) synch both front and back
plates with each other. Possibly even c) let the whole thing be controlled with a remote control car alarm thing.

Anybody tried this?

jfsmith
11-04-2004, 05:43 PM
This sounds like an old James Bond film. Aston Martin sort of thing, shaken not stirred. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

It can be done, just don't get caught. Plus where are you getting the extra plates from?

Jerry

Thrud
11-04-2004, 05:53 PM
You get caught here with that and it is a felony - even having two sets of plates for the vehicle is a strict no no. The exception is vanity plates in Alberta each vanity plate is also asigbed a "normal" plate as well. They won't let me have "****head" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif!

Al Messer
11-04-2004, 05:57 PM
THRUD!!!! YOU'RE BACK!! Oh happy days!!

hoffman
11-04-2004, 06:03 PM
In the James Bond movies it sounds like it's air operated. Possibly an air cylinder. I'll have to ask "Q"...
When I was a kid I had an "eluder" system on my camaro.
Flip one switch and the taillights went out, another switch changed it to outboard lights only. Never got around to the plate flipper.

[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 11-04-2004).]

Joel
11-04-2004, 06:13 PM
VERY glad to see you back ****head, er, I mean Thrud!!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Evan
11-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Howya doin Dave? Good to see you on the board.

Guero
11-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Great to have you back, Thrud. Alistair has been keeping us advised as to your condition.

WJHartson
11-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Thrud, glad to see you are feeling better.

Joe

ibewgypsie
11-04-2004, 07:21 PM
The boot is back in business.

I was called late one night as someone asked me to bring my cutting torch down to remove a boot.

(boot= City legal way to immobilize a car)

Nope I said. Same guy asked me to make him some illegal trigger parts for AR15's.

Spinning tags.. yep.. seen retracting ones, never saw a spinning one.

David

vinito
11-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Is that why they don't hide the fuel filler tube behind the plate anymore?

Forrest Addy
11-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Dr Rob, the very fact that you ask such a question makes me think you need to revise your whole life style. Flaunt the rules and you have to pay the price. Cooking up a license plate swapper to dodge a few parking tickets just isn't worth it for reasons mentioned above.

Fake plates won't solve your parking ticket problem. Here's why: most jurisdictions have a computer links between the DMV and their meter guys. He has all your DMV data right there in his scooter. If your car's make, model, and color doesn't match the plate number they look for the VIN number. Then it suddenly becomes a police matter. Thus it's a REALLY STUPID trick.

They'll video you as you return to your car. They'll jump you and make a felony bust. They'll put you on TV - "The World's Dumbest Criminals" - between the peeping tom who falls into a ceptic tank and the burgler who has to be sawed free from the vent he crawled into and got stuck.

If you want fewer parking tickets conduct your parking is a way that you don't get tickets - ie: obey the signs, pay the meter, or don't park there.

charlie coghill
11-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Thrud glad you are back. Alistair is completely out of controll. Maybe you can sit on him and calm Alistair down. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Charlie

BillH
11-04-2004, 09:50 PM
I received a ticket in FLorida, was late paying for it. They wanted a Late fee, only payed the actual fee.
I moved back to CT. Few months pass, and CT state Police give me a phone call saying they will suspend my license unless I pay the late fee. that is owed to Florida.
CT and Florida have an "agreement".
Sometimes I hate communication technology!

jfsmith
11-04-2004, 10:21 PM
O.K. Up on Put-In-Bay, open container is a big NO NO. Get a citation and don't pay it, they come get you and lock you up for not paying the fine.

We have laws for a reason and currently have a government that wants to enforce those laws.

If you want to park illegally move to Baghdad, I hear they have liberal parking in most of the city.

Dave it's great to have you back.

Jerry

wierdscience
11-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Illegal parking,well your screwed on that one.I do hate parking meters thou,I will walk rather than be charged to use the streets I paid for.

The boot guys piss me off the most,I'm sure some are honest,but most I have met are thieves.
The ones here abouts are private companies that contract to the cities,they are scum.
My neighbor got booted after being parked legally for only ten minutes(private lot)he calls the company and explains the situation,they admitted fualt and said they would be right over,2 hours later they showed up and told him they would remove the boot,but only after he paid them $153 because he was over time parked by 1hr 15minutes http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif words were exchanged and he refused,they left.
Once they were gone he walked down the street to a Sears store and bought a hacksaw frame and a dozen blades,went back and spent an hour sawing the boot off.When he finished he drove to the boot company and pitched the boot through their plate glass window.The manager came out and threatened to call the cops.Nieghbor told them,to call the ambulance first,they would need them quicker http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif He never did hear from them again,wonder why? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

BillH
11-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Bolt cutters work good

Dr. Rob
11-05-2004, 01:24 AM
Ooookay, so nobody has any indexing ideas?

Forrest, thanks for the concern, but you make the erroneous assumption that I live in the washingtonian land of easy parking. I don't. 'Round here, a city of 60 000 cars with approximately 40 000 legally defined parking spaces, it's a little tougher. Tickets are a hundred dollars and come quicker than you can get to the meter and back. You can appeal the ticket, but need to pay the ticket first and wait six months.

Generally we don't have the boot, and the involved authorities are not hooked up to the DMV and cars don't use the VIN for identification. Cars do need plates, but nobody said from where. Automobile legality is completely removed from driving license validity. So any issues of legality are slightly more nuanced than immediately percieved. And any filmed sting raid for TV purposes would cause public outcry by the taxpayers and already-peeved car owners.

Thrud, good to see you back. You and I come from the same town, remember. I don't recall the word `felony┬┤ being applied to the CCC? I do recall however that B.C. had a thousand-dollar fine for not having plates at all. (used to work for a car dealer) Ring a bell, Evan?)

So anyway, a twelve-volt motor...

BillH
11-05-2004, 01:30 AM
Well, Let's see how well Darwin handles this.

How about you use one of those mechanical devices that self index, and you time the motor to run a few seconds. Whats it called, some
one on this board was machining one a month back abouts.. It has a real physics sounding kinda name.... I forget, you figure it out, it's your mistake.

speedy
11-05-2004, 01:48 AM
You are certainly held in high regard Thrud, welcome back also.
Beurocrats are wankers like that, with that plate , why not try the English version '****ehead' . There is a large engined Holden utility that was around here at one time with the plate 'Uterus'
Dr Rob, I used to partially block my bike plate with the rego holder, it covered all of the letters; I never got a speeding ticket ever although I did get chased once or twice, exciting!
Ken

Chester
11-05-2004, 09:36 AM
We have a toll road here that operates from photographing license plates and a while back a guy did get caught with some kind of "James Bond" revolving plate system. Never did hear the results of that one. But that outfit is privately run and can prevent you from re-newing your plates if there are any outstanding debts.

Good to see your return Thrud. When I lived in AB, students coming into the province from BC or SK were forced (by police) to buy a set of AB plates and ran their vehicles dual plated. What was that all about?

jfsmith
11-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Trying to evade the law is a crime, this group helping you could be a crime.

In the states, the police may sent SWAT out to arrest you because you appear to have a device to deceive your identity, which may also get the attention of those crazy folks at Homeland Security, because you are deliberately trying to change your identity.

Having such an item to evade a simple parking violation, may cause many other problems, and you could end up on the nightly news, as the man with the James Bond type of device to fool the police.

Prison or paying your parking fines, easy choice.

Fred White
11-05-2004, 11:51 AM
>>Sometimes I hate communication technology!

Well don't buy Windows XP or software from Symantic then. They have your computer contact their system over the internet to see if it's OK for you to be using their software. You can't stop it.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5371664.html

God only knows what the next generation of computer stuff will tell about you to someone else! Any "key words" on your computer like guns, abortion, etc.?

Evan
11-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Rob,

I looked up a few cases. Using such a revolving plate system here in BC would likely get you about $1,000 in fines, a 30 day vehicle impound, seven days in jail, and a six month driving suspension. You would also receive points on your license that might increase your cost of renewing your license later. It may also raise your insurance.

Oh yeah, you will also have to pay the tow bill and the impound fee...

Oh yeah again. They will also confiscate all the plates so you will also have to buy new ones.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 11-05-2004).]

Chester
11-05-2004, 01:37 PM
So Jerry, if anyone is thinking of ordering any of these, they better have it sent to their BIL.

http://www.paladin-press.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=10

jfsmith
11-05-2004, 05:43 PM
As that the Christian oriented majority has spoken here in the states, I would not touch some things these days no matter what kind of super deal I would get.

I used to tell people to buy things for cash and no paperwork if they wanted the transaction to stay invisible, like at a gun show. I am even careful doing that these days.

Today who knows, most people get turned in by a neighbor or their spouse, try and steal cable TV and invite everyone over for a sporting event, see who turns you in.

If I were to do something less than legal (which I don't) I would not get on a forum that does register IP addresses at the minimum and ask how to do something illegal while telling people that you have broken the law.

If you do the crime be prepared to serve the time.

Jerry

BillH
11-05-2004, 05:50 PM
You think it was the Christian Majority, or just the silent conservative majority? It's really a mix of both and more.

speedy
11-05-2004, 06:21 PM
'1984' and welcome to your future.
Ken

BillH
11-05-2004, 06:25 PM
I never read that book, but I heard about it, it was the liberals that wanted bigger government and big brother is watching right?

Dr. Rob
11-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Uh-huh. Right, then. Forget I asked.

For what it's worth, I don't live in Canada or the US, nobody is tracing this call or mounting a surveillance operation, they don't impound cars or licenses for unpaid tickets, Homeland Security or whatever they are called probably have their very own spinner plates and I'm not going to jail for anything. Now excuse me while I go post this at www.Iwanttobeachristianhomelandlawyer (http://www.Iwanttobeachristianhomelandlawyer) dot-com forum.

But thanks anyway.

BillH
11-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Dont let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

jfsmith
11-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Gee.... Dr Rob must live on the moon. I think almost every country on the globe is watching everyone. Friends in South America talk about the police like they are the Gestapo. Friends in central and eastern Africa are afraid to do anything so that they Americans don't declare war on them.

The Philippine police just kick you and beat you if you cop an attitude about the law, I think this true in many countries that do not share the same values as the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, England, Scotland and Canada to name a few.

As with many who do not want to come out from the dark side, Dr. Rob posted nothing about himself in his profile.

Dr Rob if you are a moral and civilized person, you will do the right thing and turn yourself in, then pay the parking tickets.

Joel
11-05-2004, 08:41 PM
I think that personally, I will let Dr. Rob worry about Dr. Rob.

jfsmith
11-05-2004, 08:48 PM
The strange website that Dr. Rob said he was going to post this to, has anyone been able to get it to come up???

Plus as to his final posting, he sounds like an American who got caught with his pants down.

If you want to know how to do something, just ask, don't involve others in a criminal act.

ttok
11-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Hey - just make the city remove the meter and have it timed. Down here, one out of three meters runs too fast, and they have to dismiss the ticket. You might get lucky. Do it your way, and you probably will get lucky in the Graybar Hotel with your nice new roomate. Also, the only reason for charging to occupy a public space is for expedition of traffic. This can mean that they have to charge for parking because there are too many cars when compared to the number of parking places. A.T.

Marcus
11-05-2004, 11:12 PM
LOL, What a laugh. I immediately thought of Cool Hand Luke, when Paul Newman cuts the heads of the parking meters with pipe cutter.

My thinking on the subject of revolving plates is a triangular plate holder that rotates 120* with a solenoid providing the drive. I think Taxi's used to have such a thing on the roof. "for hire" etc.

Anyway have fun and don't get caught

Here in Oz the grey ghosts check the registration label. Be good for speed cameras though!!!!

Evan
11-06-2004, 02:24 AM
I have a completely legal trailer hitch ball (with extra height protective cover) installed in the factory provided location that obscures at least one character of my license plate on my Ford Ranger no matter what angle you look at it. So does about half the population of Williams Lake.

speedy
11-06-2004, 02:59 AM
BillH, 1984,its a good read.I think it was written in the 30's. The author, Orwell, had a lot of forsight, check out "Animal Farm" also.
Dr.Rob how about catching a bus, a taxi, a train,walking, running, cycling, skateboarding, rollerblades.
I think we should all unbolt our butts from the drivers seat more often and use our legs for what they were designed for. I would if I could http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif.
Ken

JRouche
11-06-2004, 03:38 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
I have a completely legal trailer hitch ball (with extra height protective cover) installed in the factory provided location that obscures at least one character of my license plate on my Ford Ranger no matter what angle you look at it. So does about half the population of Williams Lake.</font>

In California you could, and I have been, pulled over for an obstructed plate with a bumper trailer ball hitch. They didn't care that it was there for purpose, they only looked at it as a way to pull me over and check my "status or condition". JRouche

Dr. Rob
11-06-2004, 04:48 AM
JOEL! THANK YOU!! Marcus too.

Jfs and Bill, thanks for your thoughts. Not very much though.

That's all.

BWS
11-06-2004, 07:44 AM
You've got to be joking.The amt. of thought and effort you are putting into this problem yet you need suggestions for the mechanism?Curiouser and curiouser.Your answer lies in your thread heading....give up?

Revolving.......re,re,revolv......

REVOLVER!Thats its,study a revolvers action.Should be very clear.

mlong
11-06-2004, 04:47 PM
You all are thinking in the box. get out of the box. Just get personalized license plates.

NO TAG

Might not stop every ticket in the system.

mark

jbyrd
11-06-2004, 05:26 PM
The movie "The Transporter" has a car that does exactly what you are looking for. Great move to if you like the shootem up type. I think everyone is a little high strung about what Dr. Rob is trying to do here. if he was asking how to make a triggering system for a nuclear device I would have some problems with that. But if you are worried about him 'including you in a criminal act' (It's not as if he is plotting to overthrow a government) then don't reply. I am a complete novice and machining, but I will let the problem turn around in my head today.

Jay

[This message has been edited by jbyrd (edited 11-06-2004).]

SJorgensen
11-06-2004, 06:09 PM
It wouldn't be worth doing if you leave out the oil slick and roofing nail dispensers.

While you are at it the ejector seat might get you clear of some trouble, just when you are about to get caught.

jfsmith
11-06-2004, 08:01 PM
I want to see the under the hood stinger missiles for those Taliban meter maids. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

spope14
11-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Oh man, I read this post Friday, and kind of laughed it off. Friday afternoon, went through the Hookset tool both in NH, and when I got home, could not find a business card I was given earlier.

Seems when I reached in my shirt pocket to give the toll attendent a buck, and traffic was very heavy and it was dark and windy and crapy, I handed her a ten spot and the business card. I really should have known to stop with the bell ringing, but hey, the light was green, and with ten booths open, thought it was somebody else....

Nine dollars are coming in the mail (I got the quarter change there), and the business card as well. Compliments of the State of NH tracing my name due to my license plate, and an honest tool attendent.

J Tiers
11-06-2004, 11:25 PM
Fooey on the plates. I want Cell-phone seeking missles.

For use in traffic, of course.

Dr. Rob
11-07-2004, 05:45 AM
Ah, finally back on track.

BWS: Yeah, sure- a revolver mechanism would do. But it initially seemed to contain many conjugate parts, what with the reciprocating poker fork and tranfer from linear to rotational motion. So really I haven't put much work into it at all; it's still only an idea looking for the simplest embodiment.

A Geneva mechanism would be sweet. They're pretty intriguing. A 120* division on those might be tricky though. Maybe it would be easier to just use a design similar to a revolving carriage stop from the lathe, but radially disposed rather than axially. That would possibly make use of the built-in overload clutch in a cordless screwdriver. Or, just bag the triangular prism thing for three plates and use a two-sided unit instead, with simple stops and forward / reverse switch. Or maybe a con-rod lever arrangement.

BUT, the direct-drive screwdriver motor indexing thing is one I don't know and might be a handy trick in the shop in the future, so that might be good to learn. I like it.

Mlong, that's a good one. Here's another trick, rapidly gaining popularity: Keep the plates, but change the vehicle badge. Got a Ford? Change the badge to Dodge. Got a Nissan? Change the badge & logo to Toyota. That way, the license plate number & vehicle ID at the DMV don't match, and the ticket can be cancelled!

Another parking anecdote: One of the biggest debtors is the police department. Seriously. Paatrol units leave the car in a no-parking zone with the lights flashing... and the metermaids slap a ticket on it. Happens all the time. No kidding. Sheesh.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Rob (edited 11-07-2004).]

jfsmith
11-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Where are you going to get the parts? Or even the base metals? Can you car stand the strain of an extra motor.

I hear the F-111 fighter bombers are coming out of service, and they have lots of little motors and rotating things what could be useful.

x39
11-07-2004, 08:00 PM
We are Borg, resistance is futile.

Elninio
11-07-2004, 08:27 PM
when you switch the licence plates, make sure you do it while the vehicle is moving so that no one sees you http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

yf
11-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Put a magnetic strip on the back of the bogus plates and slap them on as needed.

Don't make anything special for this as you could be opening a barrel of worms.

wierdscience
11-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Velcro is cheap and sold by the foot http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif