PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Tires

JDF
11-15-2004, 09:43 PM
I've got an old bandsaw my dad made years ago that has 6.75" dia wheels on it. Three wheels in a broad triangle give the thing something like a 24" throat. Have been adding a reduction pulley to get it down to a good speed for steel. Great tool.

Anyway, the original tires were made of innertube sections and were flaking off when I started using it on wood 5 or 6 years ago, so I wrapped the wheels with electrical tape. Worked alright, though the tape needed replacement often.

The wheels are about 1" wide. Haven't been able to find a commercial tire anywhere close to this size. Any ideas on where to find them, or any thoughts on a reliable replacement. If nothing else I'll try the innertube thing again, but don't recall dad ever having much success with that.

ibewgypsie
11-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Pretty close to a port-a-band wheel size.. I just replaced mine.. THE local welding shop had them.

I kinda think they are like 3/4 x 6" pulleys.. ribs on back to insert into holes in the pulleys.. You'd have to see a set, my description lacks.

David

wierdscience
11-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Flat,rubber vaccum cleaner belts,they are about 3/4" wide and come in a variety of sizes.

PolskiFran
11-15-2004, 10:46 PM
I've been using inner tube sections on my saw for years. It is the only thing that will fit since the saw is a home made one also. My wheels are about 14" in dia. Truck tubes work the best for me. Cut oversize width sections, stretch over wheel, cut off excess with utility knife and contact cement in place.

Frank

George Hodge
11-15-2004, 10:52 PM
About 5 layers of good masking tape will work great!

nitearc
11-16-2004, 03:38 AM
Here is a company that sells bandsaw tires.

http://www.carterproducts.com/

Good luck with the saw ........ Mike