PDA

View Full Version : ON TOPIC TODAY ONLY

jfsmith
11-11-2004, 11:13 AM
To all of those who served, in all of those countries and all of the wars, no matter if it be for the crown, president or prime minister as well as country.

This is your day to be remembered.

Happy Veterans Day and Happy Remembrance Day to all of those who served.

Jerry

gundog
11-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Great post Jerry I would like to second that and a big salute to all veterans. I pray for the young men in harms way over in Iraq and other countries around the globe. It is too bad we humans can't just get along.
Mike

JCHannum
11-11-2004, 11:36 AM
Meaning somehow that it is inappropiate to honor these people any other day?

They serve us and our country 365 days a year and deserve our thanks and prayers every day.

gundog
11-11-2004, 11:43 AM
JCHannum,
Our post were in respect of all veterans and today is the day our country has set to honor them. I have a 22 year old son that serves in the Navy so believe me I do appreciate them 365 days a year. I wory about all of them 365 days a year.
Mike

[This message has been edited by gundog (edited 11-11-2004).]

Rex
11-11-2004, 01:22 PM
To the veterans on this forum:

Thank you for your service to our nation.
We have you and your predecessors in arms to thank for the unique freedoms we, and much of the world's nations, enjoy.

Favorite bumper stick"
"If you can read this thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English, thank a veteran"

Rex Burkheimer
Keller TX

Paul Gauthier
11-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Yes a big thanks to all vets everywhere.

------------------
Paul G.

spkrman15
11-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks to you all

Rob http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

IOWOLF
11-11-2004, 05:27 PM
THANK YOU.

JAY, U.S.N.

Lew Hartswick
11-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Yes. Thankyou.
...lew... USAF 51- 53

JRouche
11-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Remembering the Veterans today, especially the ones that are gone. JRouche

wierdscience
11-11-2004, 09:34 PM
"A debt we can never repay"Thanks to all!!!!

Dave Burnett
11-11-2004, 09:42 PM
THANKS TO ALL OF THE VETERANS. YOU ARE THE ONE'S WHO MAKE THIS COUNTRY GREAT.

BillH
11-11-2004, 10:04 PM
THank you Veterans for your service to our country, and the armed forces in Iraq and Afghanistan right now. My best friend is a marine over in Iraq right now, havent heard from him in awhile, he is probably helping out with Faluja.

PSD KEN
11-11-2004, 10:18 PM
I'm a vet, all honors go to the to the fallen ones.
On alighter note: Our troops are very considerate, the crazies want to die and visit Allah. Our boys are doing all in their power to hasten them on their way.
Now, isn't that thoughtful?

spope14
11-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Thirty nine members of my community are overseas in Iraq with the 744th Transportation Division - National Guard, Claremont, NH Division. It is my humble pride as the mayor of my community to give an update of their activities as transfrred to me by the wife of one of those troops. This is done on a monthly basis, and is now a community tradition and expectation after 9 months (Our meetings are televised and repeated about 20 times a month). They have 18 months in their tour of duty total, nine left. I had to give a speach during the third month of their depolyment, this is an abridged excerpt, as i try to re-create from memory, for the text was lost. The speach was given a month after this as well, and I add this.
.....We remember their sacrifices, and the sacrifices of the generations of soldiers from Valley Forge to Manassas, the trenches in France, the deep snows of the "Bulge', the heat of the pacific, the jungles of southeast asia, to the sands of Iraq. They have answered the call to serve our country irregardless, because this is what they do, and who they are. Who we are. Our soldiers endure the discomforts of all of it, and endure the sacrifices of being overseas away from the ones they love. Missing anniversaries, birthdays, first steps, friends, tears, and joys. We have our heroes, and these are true heroes. They sacrifice a life at home to serve our freedoms, realizing they may be called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice. When they return, the vast majority will not act like heros, they will just yearn to return to a normal life. For this they are even more heroic.

We have our heros at home as well. The families who await the return of those they love. Aprehensive, but doing so because they knew that these days might come. The families who take on the additional loads they must when a valued member is called upon to serve. They take this out of pride, and obligation. They sacrifice realizing all the more the value of family and friends. These are also our heroes. These are our troops on the homefront. These are also the troops of the 744th, proudly and quietly following in the footsteps of generations of other homefront troops, wives, husbands, and families before them.

After this speach, and i did a poor job in re-creating the actual text (that was lost in an e-mail snafu), a lady about 83 years old gave me a patch, a red "1". It was worn by her husband in WWII. She asked me to take care of it well, and it has indeed earned one of the most honored places I have in my home. Another gave me a yellow ribbon, a young lady of about 21 years age, this ribbon from the wife of former student of mine who is serving. It remains on my suit jacket lapel for every public occassion I appear at.

This past Sunday, I was asked to appear at the elderly "appartment complex" to speak on their 25th anniversary dedication of the facility. At this dedication, I had intended to spend but one hour, but instead spent four hours in the company of five WWII vets telling me stories. This is a very rare occurance these days to have so many WWII vets in one place, and something I am truly aware to take advantage of (alos realizing that my last conversation with a WWI vet was in 1993, they are gone now). When I finally got my release, one wife came up and thanked me.

My reply, "No maam, this was my true pleasure. Your husband and his friends gave me a great gift today, the trust that I would listen, and remember. Thank you for your patience".

Today is their day, least we forget, and always we remember.

JRouche
11-11-2004, 11:09 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spope14:
Thirty nine members of my community are overseas in Iraq with the 744th Transportation Division - National Guard, Claremont, NH Division. </font>

Wow Scott, that is a large percentage of the city. I am sure the citizens are very close with such a common bond. JRouche

jfsmith
11-13-2004, 12:08 AM
I honor veterans 365 days a year and then some, but Nov. 11 is the international day that all veterans are to be remembered from all war.

Veterans are to be remembered on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11 month.

I spent a couple of years in harms way, I was hoping that would be the last war.

Here is praise and support to those who defend freedom for all of those peoples from everywhere for people who live everywhere.

I also salute those of our smaller allies who have give so much without being recognized.

Jerry

[This message has been edited by jfsmith (edited 11-12-2004).]

spope14
11-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Jrouche, Thank you for your reply. This is indeed a large percentage of the population gone. Fathers, husbands, and wives. I did not include the many gone as full time enlisted personnel. We probably have over 50 in Iraq at this time.

Our city is awash in yellow ribbons. Many homes have ribbons in front of them, the homes of those parents, wives, husbands whom have those serving us overseas in harms way. It at once unites, and makes us aprehensive. We have yet to lose a single soul, and for this I pray nightly.

These are friends, former students, my daughters former boyfriend, my best friend with whom I would normally go to Louden with to watch the NASCAR race with, but he missed it this last summer. It is a teacher who works four doors down from me, but is now but a yellow ribbon reminder to me.

I have this great job as Mayor of my community. With it, and the TV time in our valley, comes my small part. I just transfer monthly and even weekly reports from overseas. This is now. I look forward to the day when it is my job to "commission" the big city center party where we welcome the 744th and our other soldiers home. I hope my speach will just be "..Are all present and accounted for....", and I hope the answer will be yes.

They are the ones doing the job. I am but the community "mouthpiece", and humbled they trust me to do my part in this.

My life is such because of the sacrifices of those who have served our country, and for this, i am forever grateful.

Toolmaker Extrodinair
11-14-2004, 01:14 AM
Thank you fellow veterans, USN 75-79. Just remember freedom is not free.

PHiers
11-16-2004, 03:50 PM
I know this is a few days late. It is a partial picute of the new world war II memorial in Washington DC.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/PHiers/100_0225.jpg

------------------
Paul in NE Ohio

bobbybeef
11-17-2004, 06:41 PM
Hi there to any and all from the 173rd Airborne. Have a good one and remember Nam 65/66.All The Way. Best regards for your Memorial Day from australia.
Bobby.