X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wierdscience
    • Jan 2003

Soule Livesteam Festival(pics)

A few pics from the second annual Soule Steam feed works festival in Meridian,Ms on Saturday-

"Portable" engine and boiler-

The Soule "Spee-D-twin"engine the company was know for-

Hendey lathe making a cut-

Grey planner in the shop-

I just need one more tool,just one!
  • wierdscience
    • Jan 2003

An old Leblond flatbelt lathe making a cut-

A stack of new conrods made as part of the last production run-

The event ended with a nightime iron pour put on by the good folks from Alabama Art Casting-

Boy this stuff is hot!-

Comment

• wierdscience
      • Jan 2003

Link to a brief history of Soule-

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 11-14-2004).]

Comment

• andypullen
        • Sep 2004

Cool pics, Darin.

I especially liked the foundry shots. I had a tour of a large "production" foundry a couple of years ago. All machine rammed molds but manually poured. They have 2 furnaces melting aluminum, 5 melting brass or bronze and 11 melting iron. The non- ferrous side was brightly lit and the iron side was as dark as a tomb. But, the light show was awesome! The electric bill back then was $1 million a month! The company I worked for bought about 10 tons of iron castings a month. Mostly ductile and they machined like butter.

Andy Pullen
        Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

• PolskiFran
          • Dec 2002

I read the article about Soule in Live Steam Magazine. Apparently the last bastian for new steam engines. The article mentioned there was going to be a reunion or meet there. When the article was written it was still in the planning stages. How many days does the event run? Looks like a lot of great stuff and demonstrations going on.

Frank

[This message has been edited by PolskiFran (edited 11-15-2004).]

Comment

• wierdscience
            • Jan 2003

This one ran just the Saturday,addmition was a donation of concience(whatever you put in the jar)It was one of the best organized shows I have been too.Plus everybody was cheerful and friendly.
            It ran from 10am to 8:30 pm as the iron pour was last on the list.They also had the other ingredients,good music and food
            From what I gather the building and remaining machinery was bought by a gentlemen to store his steam collection.I was at the auction for the modern machinery and foundry equipment.
            Not pictured was the interior of the machineshop and foundry.There is this upstairs room with shelves probibly 20' high and 60' long,about five of them with shelves every foot or so,filled with every pattern the company made over its 110 year life span.At the sale,they sold off those patterns one shelf section at a time.I was affraid for the prices being paid that they would end up as firewood,but when I went Sat. they were all still there on display and had been donated to the mueseum.
            From what I heard they are trying to get funding and support to open it as a full time industrial mueseum and also use it for the restoration of steam and gas engines.

If I had a faster connection I would load all 169 pictures I took onto photobucket for you guys to see,there was a lot more there than what I posted.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 11-15-2004).]

Comment

• fredfromoz
              • Oct 2004

one of these days if you can find the time I for one would love to see your pics.
              If you are into old engines and restoration you may like to look at some of the picks on this site they are in a sub album.

have fun

Comment

Working...
              X