Ok this is how I have it hooked up

Mill end 9 pin D
at CP

6----Transmitted data---------------------3
5----open
7----DC ground----------------------------5
8----Received data------------------------2
8,6,1 jumpered -----6

I have 2 plugs on the mill, using the one on the right side, I have the K 10 connecter unhooked.

I had a friend help with the hookup and hyper terminal setup.

He tested the hyper terminal by hooking the send and receive together on the cp and that end of it seemed to work fine.

My questions are what to set the baud rate at on the RCS board ( pin positions ) and the rate at the computer?

How does the wiring look to you and are there any other things I should be doing, im all ears or is it eyes.
Thanks for your great knowledge. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//cool.gif

[This message has been edited by sdeering (edited 11-11-2004).]

[This message has been edited by sdeering (edited 11-11-2004).]

BillH
11-12-2004, 12:14 AM
I dont know about CNC, but many other projects I have done, like programming my oopic controller or playing with GPS's and NEMA sentences, it seams most things use 4800 baud. I would try 4800 and go from there.

SJorgensen
11-12-2004, 12:37 AM
I thought the board was the ERS board.
I've got that information somewhere. Check back in a few minutes.

I can't find it readily. I'll try again tomorrow. I would try 300 to 1200. I think 2400 is the top end. There is a jumper on the ERS board that sets the speed.

[This message has been edited by SJorgensen (edited 11-11-2004).]

sdeering
11-12-2004, 02:17 AM
Yes ERS my mistake. We tried most of the preset baud rates on the pc side but could not get the BRIDGEPORT BOSS 5 * prompt to show on the pc side. I thought I read somwear the dip switch on the ERS board had to be changed and both baud rates had to match each other ( soo close but soo far )

Evan
11-12-2004, 03:21 AM
The baud rate must match as well as the stop bits and the handshake type. Most common baud rates are 4800 or 9600.

Found this on another board:

"The BOSS5 will do both RS232 as well as 20MA current loop. Use only the local amp connector, not the remote. Pins 1,2,3,4,5(shield)are used for 20MA. Pins 6,7,8 are for RS232. Remember that you have to unplug K-11 on the ERS board and set the DIP switches 1,2,3,4 for the baud rate you want to use. 8 data bits, 2 stop bits, no parity, Xon-Xoff enabled."

sdeering
11-13-2004, 04:04 AM
Thanks Evan are you saying to have switches 1234 on and the rest off. I haven’t counted the switches and have not moved them from there original positions yet nor do I know if there is a standard for setting them. I have no idea what switch position relates to what baud rate on the mill side. Any more help on what switch position would give a certain baud rate would be greatly appreciated.
I gues what I am asking is how do you know what dip switch position gives what baud rate on the mill end of things.
Thanks Stephen

[This message has been edited by sdeering (edited 11-13-2004).]

Evan
11-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Sorry, I can't find that info. I suspect the first four dip switches set the baud rate and the others set things like stop bit etc. They all must be set correctly and unfotunately there are no standards for this sort of switch setting.

SJorgensen
11-13-2004, 03:06 PM
The information you need is in M-154 on pages 4-68 to 4-73 and on 4-111 at the top right corner of diagram D1040221.

Baud Rates
S0 S1 S2 S3
H H H H =110
H L H H =300
H H L H =1200
H H H H =2400
L L L L =9600

I hope this helps. Next time I am at my machine I'll note my settings.

sdeering
11-14-2004, 11:47 PM
Thank you Spence that is exactly what I was looking for. I will try it out later in the week and post the outcome. I also found a machineshop that has mastercam for sale, any thoughts on quality, ease of use ect.
Stephen http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

SJorgensen
11-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Glad I could help. I can't advise on the Mastercam but I hear it is a great product.

sdeering
11-16-2004, 12:30 AM
This is where I found the dip switches
1on 2on 3on 4off 5on 6on 7on 8off
I tried all of the rates you gave me.
Tried all rates on mill and tried all rates on computer with no luck. The curser flickers a little after I have reset and hit edit, thats about it. Do the other dip switches 5,6,7,8 have to be chainged maybe, any ideas spence.
Thanx Stephen

SJorgensen
11-16-2004, 02:05 AM
I'd love to help you. Please tell me again about the machine. Was it hooked up bofore?

The seller might have the information you need.

If you are flying blind like I did it is a little harder but not impossible. Serial communications has always had a little reputation as black magic so welcome to my world.

Tell me what you have, and what you know. Don't give me opinions or suppositions. I'll try to help you.

Evan
11-16-2004, 02:13 AM
It is possible in most cases to reverse engineer the older serial equipment. If you can tell me the part number of the UART chip on the serial board then I can look it up in a data book and find out what pins do what. You then need to follow the traces from the dip switch to the pins on the UART chip to determine what pin and switch does what. The part data is also usually available online for the commonly used parts.

The most commonly used UART is the 8250 and variations. Once you know what pin is hooked to what switch then you can map out all the possible switch settings. here is a very good page on this topic:

Click here (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/serial-uart/)

SJorgensen
11-16-2004, 02:40 AM
I have detailed scans of the ERS board from my machine if you would like. I'll try to post them again.

ibewgypsie
11-16-2004, 08:04 AM
Seems the control panel has to be setup to recieve wasn't it Spence? Otherwise it ignores?

I saw the comm board drawings in the book I have, Spence has. IT no longer is in my machine. Perhaps that is the best, huh?

I need to make a list, I think I have two more books than you do Spence. We need to post all the Data YOU/I have posted on Yahoo and let everyone sort it out. Probably manuals and all. Like others have done, put a "send $5 to Spencer if you find this remotely helpful". .0001 percent pays by the way.. so you won't get rich.
I'd have paid gladly in the beginnning. THE frustration of no documentation made me strip my machine nearly bare.

I bet, you could sell that pdf cdrom on ebay . $20-$30.. easy.. I know the prices of old boss machines has went up. People in the old-timey american way have learned to adapt and overcome.

Seems we have a gaggle of new.with.old bridgeport cnc users here.. People desperate for any information.. Kinda like I was. You got the ball.. OKAY, lets chase Spence.. How you gonna run that machine at home?

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

sdeering
11-16-2004, 06:09 PM
First of all I would like to apologise for coming across as being (opinionated or suppositionous) I am not purposely trying to be perceived that way. I am new to internet forums so please bare with me.

I purchased the Bridgeport series 1 cnc rigid ram at an auction, I think made in 1976, I can check to make sure. I do not know the owner so I do not know if he had it hooked to a PC. By the amount of crud in the two round connectors at the front right hand bottom corner of the machine I would say it has not had a PC hooked up that way.

The mill had some electrical problems in the DC transformer area, ACC card transistors, resister problems in one of the other three cards ( cant remember the name of these cards but they control the motor driver transistors ), and I changed all of the driver transistors.

As far as I can tell the mill is functioning as it should. I can program a tool length offset, a small program, store it and rerun it.

The mill has a paper tape drive that has paper in it but I have not tried to use it.

I am using a male 9 pin D connecter on the mill side of the RS 232 connection.

This is how I have the 9pinD wired to the mill

mill wire 6 (old plug number) -Transmitted data -connects to pin 3 on computer 9pinD

mill wire 7 (old plug number) -DC ground -connects to pin 5 on computer 9pinD

mill wire 8 (old plug number) -Received data -connects to pin 2 on computer 9pinD

all other mill wires are open

wires 8, 6, 1 on the computer 9pinD are hooked together, pin 4, 7, 9 open

The computer I am using is an older Compaq with windows 95

My friend installed the HyperTerminal software on the PC. Set 8 data bits, 2 stop bits, no parity, and X-on X-off disabled. Then tested the PC communication by hooking transmit wire 3 to receive wire 2 on the computer. When words are typed on the keyboard in HyperTerminal the computer sent the words as typed (wire 3) and received the words as typed wire 2. HyperTerminal working fine.

I have disconnected the K-11 plug from the ERS board.

I have tried all of the baud rate switch positions on the ERS board

S0 S1 S2 S3
H H H H =110
H L H H =300
H H L H =1200
H H H H =2400
L L L L =9600

What I did was to set the baud rate at the mill and tried all of the baud rates in HyperTerminal, I did this for all of the previous switch positions.

To test I hit reset and clear ( tape drive), in SETUP I would hit EDIT and the result, the strobe of the curser ( in HyperTerminal ) would flash a little faster and spratic, no BRIDGEPORT BOSS 5.

This is all the info I can think of Spence hope it helps.

I will get numbers off of the cips and take some picks of the ERS and post.

Spence, switch position for 110 and 2400 baud rate are the same HHHH is this correct, and my switch is marked 12345678 not 01234567 am I looking at the right switch?

SJorgensen
11-16-2004, 10:21 PM
You're right that must be an error. And it wasn't even one of my 2:00am posts so I have no excuse. I'll dig into my notes.

I think you are on the right track if you are getting an echo back to hyperterminal. Of course all bets are off if the local echo is turned on.

After the reset the hyperterminal should report the "Boss 5" line.

Initially I was getting random symbols until I got the settings right. You are getting nothing so there might be other issues.

I'm not sure of the necessity or logic of shorting the 8,6,1 on the PC side. I'll see if I have notes on it. I'd try it without.

One little ray of hope comes from the self test on the control panel, and the error lamp not lighting after reset.

Have you learned the control yet?

H H H L = 2400

[This message has been edited by SJorgensen (edited 11-16-2004).]

sdeering
11-17-2004, 01:16 AM
Spence I forgot to mention that I was getting some symbols a square was one of them the rest I can not explain what they were. They were showing up when the reset was hit on the tape reader.

sdeering
11-17-2004, 01:24 AM
The info I got off the net on the 9pin RS232was:
1 dcd data carier detect
2 rd recive data
3 td transmit data
4 dtr data terminal ready
5 sg signal ground
6 dsr data set ready
7 rts request to send
8 cts clear to send
9 ring indicator

SJorgensen
11-17-2004, 01:41 AM
Thats good news! Lets assume a 2400 baud speed. You said On On On Off. In some systems "On" ties an input to ground and therefore "low". This would be the opposite of our chart because it would be LLLH. Lets ignore that and leave them as is and assume 2400 baud. Forget that, I just found a new chart that shows LLLH and it indicates 9600.

8 data bits, 1 start bit, 2 stop bits, no parity.

9600 baud might be an ambitious speed for this old hardware. If you don't have any luck, start slow to get communications working then tweek it up. The first 4 switches are the local serial baud and the second 4 are the remote system that isn't enabled in the hardware according to TBN-4 (Technical Bulletin Number 4.)

Give me your email and I'll send it to you.

[This message has been edited by SJorgensen (edited 11-17-2004).]

sdeering
11-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Spence my home E-Mail is sd_ld_hd@telus.net

I will give the new info you gave me a try wile im trying the homemade smoker out.
thanx Stephen http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

SJorgensen
11-17-2004, 09:01 PM
I've published some scans of what I have on TBN4 on Bridgeport serial communications.

TBN4 (http://home.comcast.net/~sjorgensen7/bridgeport_technical_service_bul.htm)

sdeering
11-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Success finally. That did it Spence.I had the switches backwards. I did get the BOSS 6 prompt.

I was playing around with the PC baud rates and noticed changing them didn't affect the communication. Still got the BOSS 6 prompt not the funny looking chicken scratch.

Anyhow I pulled the ERS card to lower the baud rate ( making sure to touch ground on the chasse to prevent static ) , after doing this all I got was the chicken scratch again so I pulled the ERS and put the switches back to 9600 baud. Then I couldn't get anything, the computer froze up. I had to shut it off and now when I restart it I get OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND or something like that, MAN I JUST LOVE STRESS, boy am I glad it was only a 50 dollar machine. Hope its a software problem.

Ahhh two night shifts to go I think I might need a nap.

SJorgensen
11-17-2004, 11:13 PM
You are lucky to have a boss 6. That gives you 1/2 a thousanths resolution. The Boss 5 is only to one thousanths resolution.

Once you get to the point where you are able to send your code to the machine and then send it back to the PC for editing you might still find out that it didn't read right. On my machine I had to pad each line of code with 4 spaces in the front of each line. The editor was capable of doing this automatically because it was a common solution to the problem. Your machine being a little more modern might not have this issue, so just keep this in your tool bag.

Isn't that a great feeling once you get that beautiful little prompt "Boss 6"?

Your robot is waking up!

Spence

sdeering
11-18-2004, 12:49 AM
Sorry Spenc its a BOSS 5 must have inhaled too much smoke from the smoker today. I wouldn't mind it having .0005 res though.

SJorgensen
11-18-2004, 01:42 AM
You could make good by sending a pound of smoked beef or vennison jerky to my address.

There is nothing wrong with repeatable accuracy across a 9" x 18" surface of .001" an extra .0005 would be nice though.

I look forward to your success.

Spence