PDA

View Full Version : Closing your eyes while welding

rotate
11-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Have you noticed that all those bike and hot rod programs on television, show guys mig welding with their eyes closed as if it was cool. They are also holding the metal parts with their bare hand only inches away from the arc. Perhaps they only do this because the television camera is pointing at them, but I think it's damn stupid and irresponsible.

Besides potentially damaging your eyes, doesn't the intense UV from the arc also cause skin burn if exposed for a long time?

ibewgypsie
11-16-2004, 04:20 PM
YES. I burned my eyes like that. With my eyes closed.. Next day I had a ball cap.. I'd tip my head down and tack.. I still blistered..

I bought a auto-dark helmet and am in heaven now.. Happiness.. I wear a motorcycle helmet too, I don't care how macho it looks to be without one..

Just ask Gary Busey..? spelling? He highsided and his head hit a curb.. still not the same.

David

pgmrdan
11-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Yes! That's why I was surprised to see Jesse James and a guy he was working with using masks the other day. It was an old rerun but there they were with masks on.

MarshSt
11-16-2004, 04:36 PM
One of the guys I work with used to tack without a hood, just by turning his head to the side. He wound up with melanoma, lived through it and now has a fake ear. I've done the same thing myself in the past. After hearing all of what he went through I can't make myself do it anymore. There is no way the extra time or cost of a hood is worth what he went through. Hopefully those shows will work on setting a better safety example as their audience grows.

SM

pgmrdan
11-16-2004, 04:55 PM
I'm glad to hear that you wear a helmet David. Especially now that you've shaved your head. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

At one time there were only 4 states that didn't require a helmet for a motorcyclist. I think it went down another state or two. Last time I remember Illinois and Iowa didn't require helmets but maybe there were others. Then a while back I heard Missouri was thinking of repealing their helmet law. How stupid!!!

Some laws are made for those who aren't smart enough to take care of themselves. I think helmet laws fall into this category.

That reminds me of another thing from that TV show I mentioned earlier. When Jesse James was riding his motorcycle he was wearing a helmet. He had a short little ritual he went through putting it on in front of the camera. Not sure his state requires it but hopefully it is a good influence for the kids - young and old.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-16-2004).]

G.A. Ewen
11-16-2004, 06:27 PM
Hey Albert, it's good to hear from you again. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

I think these shows are total crap. If I wanted to see grown men acting like little children bickering and argueing and throwing temper tantrums I'd take an interest in politics.

What would you call this kind of show.........
Soaps for men?

pgmrdan
11-16-2004, 06:35 PM
It's funny how the Orange County Cycles show and the show with the Boyd Coddington crew whine about the same things over and over during every show. The Boyd Coddington has a few really talented guys among their flunkies from what I've seen.

I can watch one or the other but not both. It's like watching re-runs if I watch both.

I prefer the show with Boyd's crew.

'Soaps for men' about sums it up. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Al Flipo
11-16-2004, 06:39 PM
There was a story floating around years ago about a shipyard worker who never wore a welding helmet while welding, and retired with his eyes intact.

pgmrdan
11-16-2004, 07:38 PM
But did his ships float?

x39
11-16-2004, 07:39 PM
The TV show guys all seem to TIG weld in T-shirts. Brilliant.

ibewgypsie
11-16-2004, 07:40 PM
AL,

I met a man like that years ago. He never had eye trouble.

MY father had to have his eyes redone about fifteen years ago.. New corneas.. Welding at Combustion Engineering during the height of the nuclear vessels.. Even indirect view of a welder can burn your eyes.. the worst time I ever got was working next to a stainless steel tank with people behind and beside me welding.. I could see squat that night when it got dark.. I backed the company van right into a tree..

David

Alistair Hosie
11-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Great to hear from you Albert.
#I am convinced that a lot of the shouting and balling argumentation that goes on in these shows is (in the eyes of the producers) deemed necessery to keep the show alive.
I watched the Orange county the old man acts it up for the camera's all the time.
Theres no way the young guy would take that crap why would he not start out on his own simplystart his own company he doesn't need that grief everyday.
The old guy does nothing but moan all day what else does he do.
I think it's a big act myself and the viewers love it.
It would not be the same show if they were all lovey dovey, and they all copy each other too all fighting like overgrown children.my 2Cents worth http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Alistair

kelamigo
11-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Now Now....Orange County Choppers is ALMOST the perfect show....they have MYSTERY (gee, will we get this bike done in time???) They have VIOLENCE (Paul Sr. and Jr. going at it all the time) All they need now is SEX. They just need Paul Jr. girlfriend on there more for the SEX part and it would be the PERFECT SHOW!!!! Mystery--Violence--Sex :> )

------------------
Kelly in southcentral Idaho

Rustybolt
11-16-2004, 08:11 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pgmrdan:
It's funny how the Orange County Cycles show and the show with the Boyd Coddington crew whine about the same things over and over during every show. The Boyd Coddington has a few really talented guys among their flunkies from what I've seen.

I can watch one or the other but not both. It's like watching re-runs if I watch both.

I prefer the show with Boyd's crew.

'Soaps for men' about sums it up. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif</font>

I did too until I saw a show'Rides'. These guys built a hot rod in a home garage. Welded up the frame. Chopped it, etc. In my opinion much cooler. More of an HSM kind of thing.
Hey! Look what I just made in my garage!
Anybody can throw money at the problem, but somebody who takes just what he can put together with their wits and skill, that's admirable.

Michael Az
11-16-2004, 08:21 PM
Too many better things to watch on tv. Sometimes I wore a helmet when riding and sometimes not. Az is your choice, as it should be. For those that want helmet laws, all I can say is something like 80 percent of all traffic fatilities are from head injuries. So everybody should wear one!
Michael

sandman2234
11-16-2004, 08:33 PM
Add Florida to the list of repealed sanity...
David from jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

fixxit
11-16-2004, 08:36 PM
No motorcycle helmets = a steady supply of organ donors.

[This message has been edited by fixxit (edited 11-16-2004).]

catman
11-16-2004, 08:56 PM
#1 Helmets are required in California, where Jessie James is from; it’s been the law for at least 10 years.

#2 The orange County crowd is a joke in my opinion, they never use the right tools properly. With all the money they spend on their shop, I am surprised they don’t have at least a cheep import lathe. I cringe every time they try and drill out a bushing in a drill press.

Talk about "just get a bigger hammer" I know people who put more care into assembling heavy equipment than they do towards a sealing surface on a motor or transmission.

PSD KEN
11-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Helmet laws interfere with the Survial of the fittest.
If folks want to go for a Darwin Award, sobeit!

JRouche
11-16-2004, 11:42 PM
Tig welding is gonna give you a burn quicker than Mig welding.

Straight Argon does not block any ultraviolet light but CO2/Argon mix will slightly block some U/V light.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you it's ok to mig weld without being protected.

I will routinely tig weld in a tee-shirt, my arm skin will smell slightly cooked afterwards. If it's been a long day I will get a sunburn. Weird, for some reason I burn more at the inner elbow area?

I also really like my automatic helmet. Some folks may consider a leather flap for the bottom/front chin area of the helmet to protect your neck from light and sparks. JRouche

tattoomike68
11-16-2004, 11:48 PM
I use a burned up stiff left glove and block the rays with it,for tacking with a mig.

ibewgypsie is right you can burn eyes while closed.

if you run 300+ amps you can get sun burnt in about 1 minute, if that.

I also take an old welding glove sleave and duct tape it to the bottom of the welding helmet, it saves a beard fire or chest burn.

what burns my face the worst is a plasma arc(dark glasses),you get done looking like a racoon.

x39
11-17-2004, 12:06 AM
I'm guessing those who support mandatory helmet laws would have no problem with OSHA regulating their home shops. After all, we must be protected from ourselves at any cost, right?

x39
11-17-2004, 12:10 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PSD KEN:
Helmet laws interfere with the Survial of the fittest.</font>
Apparently not.

tattoomike68
11-17-2004, 01:00 AM
as far as bike riding, you have a $10 head, you buy a $10 helmet.

you have a $300 head you buy a $300 helmet.

I do think that adults should have the choice on helmet use, I will always choose to use a helmet, the $300 kind.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

torker
11-17-2004, 01:40 AM
Welding with out a helmet is NOT a good idea! A friend of mine..a bodyman and talented hotrod builder died about a month ago from facial skin cancer caused by welding without a helmet. That was a horrible way to go. Towards the end, his nose and part of one cheek rotted right off his face. He was 42 years old.
Head injuries...ya they're really cool! I watched my son in a coma for 11 days after he'd been in a car accident. His head swelled up to nearly the size of a big watermelon...his eyes where swelled up bigger than golf balls.
They saved him and he came out pretty good but he used to be a real good lookin kid...now one side of his head is caved in, his eyes are wonky and he still gets headaches that make him puke. The wreck was 4 years ago but it still makes me cringe when I think about it. So you go ahead and ride your bikes without a helmet! Then you too may get a chance to wear a diaper and have drool running out of your mouth. That's real nice to look at...believe me.
Russ

ibewgypsie
11-17-2004, 06:17 AM
Coming from a family of coal miners.. well I can head butt a billy goat..

I wear a helmet to keep the brains intact I have left.. THE foam as it collapses decellerates the brain slower than a direct impact.. This lil margin of saftey allowes a lot of the brain bruising normally done to be bypassed.

If you hit something solid, goodbye. No box you put your head into will save you. No matter how secure you feel behind that bug shield.. I know my knees, and the rest of me is hanging out there for the world to amputate at will.

My padded racing leather makes me feel just a tad more secure than nothing.. I see people riding with blue jeans shorts and flip flops thou. Yeah, get sideways and put your foot down to push .. yeah that'll work well..

David

x39
11-17-2004, 09:10 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by torker:
Then you too may get a chance to wear a diaper and have drool running out of your mouth.</font>

An ischemic stroke fueled by a steady diet of fast food and cigarettes gives better odds of winding up like you describe than head trauma.

torker
11-17-2004, 09:34 AM
Ummm...no...you didn't get it. My 22 year old son was in diapers and had drool runnin out for nearly 2 weeks. Something you don't forget real quick. Massive head injury=Coma=diapers. If you really want...go to a head injury ICU and have a look. Very Nice!

pgmrdan
11-17-2004, 09:41 AM
x39,

The odds of something totally unrelated have nothing to do with it.

Maybe not always, but helmets can prevent and reduce the severity of head injuries.

Yeah, yeah. The odds of death are greater playing Russian roullette but what the hell does that have to do with wearing a helmet? That just tells you that not only should you wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle, you shouldn't play Russian roullette. Duh!

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-17-2004).]

Milacron of PM
11-17-2004, 09:57 AM
deleted

[This message has been edited by D. Thomas (edited 11-17-2004).]

x39
11-17-2004, 01:04 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pgmrdan:
[B]Maybe not always, but helmets can prevent and reduce the severity of head injuries.
B]</font>

You'll get no argument from me there, in fact I often wear a helmet myself even though the state I live in doesn't require them. I'm not against helmets, what I am against is the government mandating their use. My point as far as the fast food analogy is that there are many behaviours that on the whole are far more costly to society, yet there is no regulation (nor should there be) of them.

pgmrdan
11-17-2004, 01:35 PM
It sounded to me (and apparently to torker) that you were giving a reason not to bother wearing a helmet.

I think everyone should be smart enough to wear one and that we shouldn't NEED to have such laws but I also know there are a lot of people that, well, 'nuff said. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Evan
11-17-2004, 02:19 PM
If you do live where helmets are not required and do ride without one just make sure your medical insurance will cover you if you splat. Many policies don't. Would be nice to have someone to change the diapers...

I toasted my hands and forearms pretty good one time doing a long session of stick welding. I always cover up now.

SloPoke
11-17-2004, 03:00 PM
I've burned the side of my face from turning and tacking but not very bad and only a couple times. I've burnt the inside of my arms several more times and a couple times pretty good. I don't always cover up even though I know I should but the burn is always a good reminder. Never had it in my eyes thank god! Hav efriends that have though. One guy got eyed burns and went blind during his drive home. Said things started getting blury, then grey, then he couldn't see squat. Sat right there in traffic till someone helped him out and called him a bambulance.

As far as wearing a brain bucket on my motorbikes/trikes. I didn't always but mostly do since having kids. Now that the oldest has her own trike and I'm teaching her to ride responsible, I always wear it.

That said, I'm totally against helmet laws. They suck! Seatbelt laws too for that matter. They also suck. Granted they may help save a life or prevent further injury, I want the choice to choose when I wear mine. If one is taught the proper safety proccedures, they know they SHOULD always wear one. My kid isn't even allowed to sit on her trike w/o a helmet. When I was her age, I never wore one.

SloPoke
11-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Torker: I am truly sorry to hear about the misfortune your son had and is still enduring. My condolences.

jlh28
11-17-2004, 03:29 PM
I think everyone should be smart enough to wear one and that we shouldn't NEED to have such laws but I also know there are a lot of people that, well, 'nuff said. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif[/B][/QUOTE]

Yea, and Alabama should not need a law prohibiting wrestling a bear. We do have the law. I just want to know how it came about.

jstinem
11-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Rant on!
The thing about the jerks that don't wear helmets is that they often don't just die. They live for years in diapiers on the public tit. Even when they do die they leave families without support and in need. They also leave huge medical bills that wind up being absorbed in our taxes and health insurance premiums. If it was only the jerks heads at risk, I wouldn't care but these idiots are getting into all our pockets.
Rant off.
Joe

rotate
11-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Ok, so we all agree that welding helmet is a must for welding.

I've had a professional welder tell me that he doesn't like auto darkening helmet because if you weld all day they don't provide enough or fast darkening. Apparently this is not a matter of safety but comfort. Is this true?

spope14
11-17-2004, 04:50 PM
LIVE FREE OR DIE....
New Hampshire, the ONLY state without a helmet law or a seat belt law.

First things first: I weld with a helmet, but also have a "hand shield" type of helmet for tacking. This is a helmet with a handle on the bottom. I put it close to the weld. I use it for tack welds, or when I have a group of students to teach. I have to be sure all watching are "covered", and do not get the urge to "open up" to watch a weld. I have stopped many a kid from pulling up the shade or helmet by having this helmet.

It does the trick, but I would not foregoe the full helmet for welding of joints or long term welding. Full face protection should be a must. My "handle helmet" is one used for a special purpose only.

Learned my lesson about protective jackets two summers ago. Welded for about one hour on a great project, temp about 95 outside, short sleeve shirt. 2nd degree burns right up on the inside of my arms. Heck yes it hurt!!!!!!

As for helmet laws, they should be mandatory. I know the freedon thing and thus, but the bottom line is this. We all pay for someones mistakes when a safety device is available that works, and the injured person chooses not to use it in the name of "freedom". I have a former student, whacked his head in a 20 MPH fall over when he hit a vehicle. Person is now a bit "off" in skills and personality, can't work, anger personality, and now seperated from his family. Most likely a helmet would have prevented this. Instead the person is now a general "free ward of the state". This means he is living in an appartment subsdized, subsidized health care,mental health, and visiting nurse. Disability through various sources including federal and state. Other victims include his wife who now has to work two jobs to afford the rent and child care (which could be subsdized, but she will not allow this). They had a great home for five years, lots of work on it, a show case. Had to sell it off. He had a great job. He was a great person before, and now, I am one of his few friends he has not chased off, though thre have been times I have stayed away to avoid the abuse I know that in his right mind would not happen.

Another case, a friend of mind t-boned another motorcyclist - his wife when she did an abrupt left in front of him. Both with helmets. he was pretty broken up, she went into the ditch and was beat up pretty bad. Both are still whole in the head, and healing nicely - working full time again, though he is now retired (he had planned this before the wreck). He brought his helmet in and kept it on his desk the remainder of his teaching year - cracked, and a very hard reminder of wht could have been.

You see, it is not the 75 MPH or even the 50 MPH wreck that is the bugger, these are probably deadly with the helmets all said and done. It is the small freaky ones that do not seem as bad that really hurt someone. It is the victims we do not see, and the end results we all live with.

Ries
11-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Every human being was not stamped out of the same mold. We are all different. I have known people who sunburn in 5 minutes while mig welding, others who can tig weld all day in short sleeves and still look white as a ghost.
I have had a couple of guys work for me, welding, who refuse to wear auto dark helmets, because they swear they can still see a flash. None of them have actually gotten flashburn in their eyes from auto dark, but they wont use em anyway. I, on the other hand, have never gotten flashburn, in 25 years of welding. Sometimes while working right next to somebody who got it from reflected light from tig welding ss. So my eyes are just less likely to flash burn, and I like auto dark helmets just fine. I have had 2 or 3 guys who wont wear em, and 5 or 6 who swear by em. But I have never heard any real evidence that you can get flash burn wearing one, and most pro welders do use auto dark helmets. I think it is part personal preference, part stubborness, and part urban legend, with the odd 1 guy in 10,000 whose eyes are indeed so sensitive that he gets burned.

BWS
11-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Wear a old tech helmet,leather jacket,gloves EVERY time one of the welders gets fired up.Old habit.

On the M/C front,head to toe custom Vanson's,Alpinestars,Shoei.....knee drag city.

x39
11-17-2004, 07:39 PM
The "cost to society" argument in favor of helmet (and similar) laws is a far more compelling argument AGAINST socialized medicine than for abrogation of the individual's rights. If the dollar is to be the standard by which the height of the bar of liberty is set, one wonders why the legislature turns a blind eye to the many other activities and behaviours which cost us far more than the relative handful of people who suffer head trauma in bike accidents.

Michael Az
11-17-2004, 09:12 PM
=============================================Rant on!
The thing about the jerks that don't wear helmets is that they often don't just die.

They live for years in diapiers on the public tit. Even when they do die they leave families without support and in need. They also leave huge medical bills that wind up being absorbed in our taxes and health insurance premiums. If it was only the jerks heads at risk, I wouldn't care but these idiots are getting into all our pockets.
Rant off.
Joe
=============================================
Joe, what people like you don't understand is where does it end? Do you have any idea how many more people are suffering from eating cheeseburgers and fries than somebody suffering from not wearing a helmet? And yes, lots of them are on the public dole. Should we outlaw them? I guess you didn't read my other post about 80 percent of fatalies in auto accidents are from head injuries, so should we have a law to start wearing a helmet now in your car? Try to think it out.
Michael

torker
11-17-2004, 09:32 PM
I know what you are saying (x39 and Michael). I used to think the same way. I led a very risky lifestyle for years and am still in one piece...mostly due to sanctioning body enforced safety equipment. There were two subjects brought up in this thread that we've been affected by in a huge way. Once you live through something like this it changes your mind. The older I get and the more I see.... the more I see the sense in some of proposed "rules". I agree that people need to make their own decisions. Some things you don't get a second chance. My boy is a good example. He got hurt because he was acting like an idiot. I fought with him for a long time and warned him that something like this would happen. But he knew better than the "old guy". NOW...he sees my point...only it's too late. Rant off!
Slopoke...thanks for that! I just truly hope that nobody here ever has to go though something like that.

[This message has been edited by torker (edited 11-17-2004).]

Elninio
11-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Depends on how long you weld and how intensly you weld. Ya you would get a tan and it is dangerous if you did it often, i think they just do it in front of the camera to look cool, its not like they film them welding for more than a minute w/o protection. I havent seen them do it wehn heli-arcing. Also the chinese guy name "chika" from biker buildoff X had to go to the hospital cuz of that (he didnt use his mask i think it was)

spope14
11-17-2004, 10:38 PM
I can't afford an "auto dark" helmet unfortunately, so I live happily with my full face big window #10 filter helmet. My eyes do sunburn easy, found this out after shoveling snow one day. Tried an auto dark helmet, loved it.

I guess I like to hedge my bets, and as a personal note, can't understand why many would not hedge their bets in safety. Just a personal opinion I note. I can;t figure why someone would weld without the right gear. I have but two eyes, and happen to like both of them. I wear a helmet when biking because I learned in a nearly fatal accident the reality of why one does this. I was unconscious for two weeks, and expected to die. Had to learn to do many things again as a note, like walk properly and talk without a stutter. I know what my stupidity as a 14 year (immortal) old did to me, and realize that if I do bike or motorcycle, I will do what I can not to re-live that 18 month ordeal again. I do not regret my ordeal, for it made me tougher, smarter,persistent, and reourceful in many ways, but DAMN, I could have done that without nearly dying....

I guess I look at my friend mentioned before, and know that by the grace of God, that is not me. I look at my daughter who gives me that heavy sigh and those irritated eyes that she will wear a helmet while riding her bike. I know from my older kid with her grand kid, and from her hearing the stories from my ma and pa (I never told her about my wreck, they told her), that she wears a helmet while snowmobiling and riding her 'cycle. She feels she now needs to cheat the odds a bit.

Guess I do not understand the "freeom thing", though I also guess I do in many ways. I just know my feelings, respect the other side as they are respected board members worthy of their opinions, but state my reasons here openly to prevent misunderstandings of my thoughts.

Torker, my condolences and prayers to you.

x39
11-17-2004, 10:56 PM
torker- I've been riding on the road for almost thirty years, have been in several motorcycle accidents, and have had over a dozen friends killed in bike wrecks. I'm way more cautious than when I was a kid, but I remain commited to the the individual's right to choose his own level of protection. Suffice it to say that our life experiences affect us all in different ways. The most important thing a rider can do is learn and practice the strategies that help him avoid getting in an accident to begin with. I get your point about the reckless behaviour of youth, my 19 year old son recently put one of my pick-up trucks on its roof showing off for his buddies. Fortunately no one was hurt.

[This message has been edited by x39 (edited 11-17-2004).]

Carl
11-17-2004, 11:25 PM
The "helmets" Jesse James and the others in the chopper shows wear are what are called "novelty helmets". For some reason they pass for helmets legally but the protection they afford is nil.

Evan
11-18-2004, 12:09 AM
I was tooling down the road in Berkeley one rainy night at the age of 16 on my Honda 50. Cars parked on the right, concrete divider on the left. 50 feet from a side road. Woman pulls out from the side and stops, totally blocking the road. I clamp on the binders and skid sideways, didn't lay it down. Hit her right in the drivers door almost completely sideways. Punched a hole in the door with the foot peg, bent in the door with my right leg and my head left a massive dent in the roof just above the door frame. Good thing I WAS wearing a helmet. She never saw me, she wet the car seat...

torker
11-18-2004, 01:13 AM
x39..I used to ride also...I got hit by a can of beer in the chest once that nearly caved in my chest. I also hit an elk in a rainstorm at night. Couldn't have avoided either one. Also...I worked as a First Aid attendant and part time EMT for a few years. Picked up my share of body parts and saw a lot of gore. None of that bothered me but when my kid got it that was a whole different deal. The others you learn to ignore or distance yourself from. Your own blood, you can't do that.
spope14...Thanks. Hey it could have been worse. At least he's still here!

klla
11-18-2004, 01:51 AM
you will NOT get flashburned through an autodark helmet unless the helmet leaks light directly in! the dark shades of a welding lense is only there to filter out the glare and let you see the diff betwixt the puddle and the slag! you could [NOT should!] tack directly through your clear safety lense and you will NOT get flashburn! eyestrain, yes! but no flashburn! this is one of the many reasons large fab shops reqiure safety glasses be worn at ALL times! TAMPA SHIP even reqiured the guy refilling the soda machine to wear them as he could get flashed and wreck his truck leaving and they would be liable! the weld inspector at TSI [25yr USN construction super/inspector]was very nearsighted and wore superthick glasses with the clear plastic sidecovers slid on each earpiece told me that the only time he EVER got flashed in 35yrs of shipbiulding was when his glasses fell into the bilge and where lost..by the time he had got out of the hold, he was flashed terribly! wear your safety glasses around this stuff guys, and you prolly wont get flashed!
as for the motorcycle helmet thing~~~~~
i think its suicide to ride w/out one! [of course, i live in TOURISTVILLE, FLA were everybody is making a right hand turn from the left lane, w/the left blinker on!] been riding since '71 and can count at least 8 close friends who are dead from bike accidents, 2 of whom prolly woulda died anyhow! the rest ALL died of head injuries from riding lidless! dunno if you guys know who INDIAN LARRY was, but he was a PREMIOR custom bike biulder,participated in the bike biuld offs[discovery channel] and a hell of a nice guy! well, he had a custom of doing bike stunts at the rallys and did so at a rally in charlston..rode his bike through a "ring of fire" [with a flame-proof suit and helmet on!] then TOOK HIS HELMET OFF and rode the bike while standing on the seat and fell off when the bike developed a wobble.......do i have to tell you the rest of the story? read it here~ http://www.bikernet.com/news/PageViewer.asp?PageID=276

IMO~ he shoulda rode the fire ring w/out protection and kept the helmet ON for the show! i deal with fire everyday and it doesnt scare me NEARLY as bad as hitting my head on pavement at 40mph!
http://community.webshots.com/photo/102953159/102956610fqHXJo

------------------
it never hurts to look
unless i`m welding!!!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/51872821KYjlSY

rsr911
11-18-2004, 02:06 AM
First off, Torker sorry to hear about your son, at least he made a decent recovery. As for helmuts etc. I'm Libertarian on this issue, keep the government out of my life! I wear a shield and protective gear 99% of the time when welding, the other 1% is a quick tack or similar but I still wear the shield. As for vehicles, I'm a former drag racer and bicycle racer and soon to be road racer with the old P-car I wear a helmut in all three instances. The few times I've ridden an MC I wore a helmut. My 6 yr/old daugther wears a helmut, knee and elbow pads when riding a bike or scooter, we got her to wear them by getting a "cool" Barbie set. The point to all this is that I want these safety issues to be my choice not the governments. I used to have a bad habit of not wearing safety glasses. For someone with 20/20 vision glasses can be an issue since it's not second nature to wear them. My solution was to buy about 15 pairs and place them all over the shop so there is always a pair at hand. I also put a set on a cord so I could hang them from my neck when I take them off and not lose them, these are hung up on a hook dead center of the entry to the shop so that I walk into them on my way in. Why did I go to all this trouble? Well about two years ago my 85 yr/old grandfather and I were at my parents house and my brother and I decide to dig out the old go-cart and see if we could fire it up and take it for a spin. We finally got it started and on the first rev the clutch exploded with a piece hitting my grandfather's eye nearly 15 feet away. Thankfully it was just a bruised cornea and he retained his vision but it could have been much worse. Heck if I had leaned over just another foot or so the scrapnel would have hit me point blank in the face! Ever since that day I have been much more leary of safety issues and choose to err on the side of caution.

It should still be my choice though.

Evan
11-18-2004, 02:19 AM
klla,

BAD ADVICE. Glass only transmits about 3% ultraviolet so you won't get a flashburn from the UV through glass easily. BUT, you will fry your eyeballs from the infrared which glass transmits very well. The reason welding filters are green is because green absorbs red, including infrared. Try staring at the sun through a window. You first.

ibewgypsie
11-18-2004, 09:13 AM
Bicker, Biker, Bicker..

Okay (standing in kitchen with two eggs)

Drop one on a nice pillowy towel, drop other onto the tile floor.. THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON INTGELLIGENCE, THIS IS YOUR BRAIN WITHOUT. The frontal curved part of the skull is the hardest part of the body, unfortunatly it was not designed to move down the road at 20mph, 100mph or whatever..

Simple. THE goverment does look up everyone's butt too much. THEY take your child support directly out of your check (even if you move to another country), they monitor your spending (most drug dealers are caught by the irs) they monitor your workplace for saftey, it is illegal to commit suicide (protect you from yourself). If you don't like any of the above laws consider you are not alone in this world and it does not revolve around you. SOmeone else decided for you. Remember how your mommy made you mind?
I don't like goverment involvement, but actually riding a motorcycle and seeing the adverse affects of stupidity upon others and myself you learn pretty fast.
Sometimes we have to be protected from ourselves.

Sometimes I wonder why the goverment has not banned motorcycles altogether. They already printed the signs up on the interstates.. Aren't we lucky? we still have that freedom. Some people are not smart enough to own one without really damaging thier body beyond repair thou. Myself included at times.

Someday , someone is going to have to give Washington DC a enema. Not all things they do are bad for society thou.

klla
11-18-2004, 01:59 PM
evan~ bad advice? to wear your safety glasses when around welding, whether your welding or not?&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;OH! you must mean the passage where i said "you could [NOT should!] tack through a clear lense and you will NOT get flashburned!"
well, that part of the thread was dealing with flashburn, not infrared, nor the minute particles of solids in the air[what are responsible for the formation of cataracs, the majority of long term eye probs in the metalworking ind.] or any of the other vision hazards involved in the metal working ind.[and they ARE legion!]
as for the sun reference, i live in FLORIDA, i am VERY intimate with the sun as i work out in it 365/yr...and have for a goodly portion of the last 47yrs...

------------------
it never hurts to look
unless i`m welding!!!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/51872821KYjlSY

Evan
11-18-2004, 02:56 PM
The bad advice is even suggesting that clear glass lenses are adequate protection when welding or around welding. I don't know of any welding process that put out UV and not IR.