PDA

View Full Version : Bench grinder modification.

davepemberton
11-17-2004, 09:56 PM
Some time ago (maybe 10-15 years ago)some publication had a series of articles about modifying a common (maybe Craftsman) bench grinder so it can be used for precision grinding (angle tables, etc). Does anyone remember where this was? Any help appreciated.

jamscal
11-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Trying to remember... I think the First Machinist's bedside reader mentions it, and perhaps mentions that the plans are available, or that the plans are in the MBSR number 2. I think the author has a web site, his name escapes me right now, and maybe you can find it via that.

Good luck,

James C

PSD KEN
11-17-2004, 10:27 PM
http://www.lautard.com/

HTRN
11-18-2004, 06:21 PM
I thought that Lindsay's sold a kinks book with this in it?

HTRN

RobDee
11-18-2004, 08:10 PM
I don't remember the article but basically you need to upgrade the bearings to an ABEC 5 or 7.
I'd say the other important thing is to balance the armature.

davepemberton
11-18-2004, 08:55 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HTRN:
I thought that Lindsay's sold a kinks book with this in it?

HTRN</font>

Thanks for the reply. I seem to remember it was a series which primarily addressed the junky tool rests. I seem to remember that the end bells of the motor had to be turned a bit and an aluminum plate attached with a hole it it for a bar which joined the 2 ends together and various rests rode on that bar. Also I seem to remember some plans for adjustable protractor rests or the like which attached to the bar also?
Dave