PDA

View Full Version : Bending Rollers

Rustybolt
11-18-2004, 09:49 AM
I need to bend some HR strapping, 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 wide. It's for a sign I've been comissioned to make. I think the material will either be 1/8 or 3/16 thick. I need to bend it edgwise.
I was thinking making roller dies for my H frame press. Two disks screwed together with one a recess equal to the width of the material.That being one roller
Then two more rollers made the same way.To go on either side as the material is pressed down. This making any sense?
Anybody have another, easier way?

ibewgypsie
11-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Edgewise?

Sounds to me you need to flamecut your patterns out of a sheet.

Or take up blacksmithing, as you roll it, bend it , it will thin and wrinkle like
nobody's business.

David

PolskiFran
11-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Would angle iron laid angle up (upsidedown V)work for this project?

Frank

Dr. Rob
11-18-2004, 06:31 PM
That's exactly how it's done. Picture one of those manual, hydraulic jack-powered tubing benders with wheels similar to what you described. Picture those wheels made from solid bar stock with a parting tool groove, as deep as possible and as wide as the material is thick.

Like Ibew was onto, there may be some limitations regarding radius, width, thickness etc. Maybe you want to consider cutting a few wedge-shaped segments out of the bar to sort of help it along.

Or as said, flame, plasma or bandsaw the bends from sheet and weld them into the right configuration.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Rob (edited 11-18-2004).]

Ries
11-18-2004, 09:50 PM
What you want to do is called bending flat bar the "Hard" way. They call it that because its hard to do. If it was easy and cheap, everybody would be doing it.
I have two different tools in my shop that will do it. Neither is cheap.
Cheaper one is the trusty Hossfeld bender. I always talk about how good it is, nobody ever listens. My hossfeld will bend up to 1/4" x 2" flat bar, the hard way, cold, from about a 3" radius, up to infinite radius. Hot, it will do 3/8" no problem, but then you gotta tap it flat again on the anvil.
The other way to do it is powered 3 roll angle rolls. Mine is a CP40 from Eagle bender- It will roll flat bar the hard way up to about 1/2" x 4". 7 grand.
You might be able to make dies for your hydraulic press- it would be the same principle as the hossfeld- just using the hydraulic for power instead of your arm. The great thing about the hossfeld system is it uses a wedge configuration for the die, so the harder you pull on the metal, the tighter the die holds it. But the angle roll just has slip fits on the dies, and it works.