PDA

View Full Version : OT CD burner help?????

J Tiers
11-18-2004, 02:06 AM
Since I am storing shop pics, maybe its on topic?

Anyway, I am trying to get a CD burner working. I have a new iomega 52x CDRW USB drive. Its not working at all.

Anyone actually gotten their stuff to work on 98? Or XP even?

I installed their hotburn (heartburn?) software, and the drive. Whenever I try to use it, the system instantly locks to the point that I must pull the plug. I satisfy their system requirements list....using 98 et, etc.

I tried their *&^&(^ site, finally had to use the email query, nothing else works. No answer yet, of course....

I have been told (since, of course) that the iomega stuff is VERY buggy, and that I ought to just return it and get something decent. My source for this is not the most reliable. I have had little problem with the Zip drives from them, so they aren't all junk.

They do have updated software as a download, supposedly to correct some of this. They seem to expect that I would happily download about 20 meg of program over a 56K modem.......they must be smoking something.

Anyone gotten their stuff to actually work on 98?

Thanks for any help.

Evan
11-18-2004, 02:11 AM
Jerry,

I have had enough trouble with Iomega that I won't touch them. As for Zip drives just do a Google on "click of death". Had an Iomega external USB2 hard drive enclosure, no end of trouble. Return it.

tattoomike68
11-18-2004, 02:18 AM
I have no luck with usb burners too.

I bought this dvd burner and it never did burn anything.

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=566234&bcFlag=True&bcSCatId=3&bcSCatName=Technology&bcCatId=18&bcCatName=Computer+Peripherals&bcDeptId=2165&bcDeptName= DVD+Drives&bcClassId=142594&bcClassName=External+DVD+Rewritable+Drives

I took it back and bought a compact photo printer.

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=574250

tattoomike68
11-18-2004, 02:18 AM
oops

[This message has been edited by tattoomike68 (edited 11-18-2004).]

Evan
11-18-2004, 02:24 AM
Mike (and others),

If you have a long link to post put it in a tag. The tag is:

words that say link here (reallly long url etc etc etc etc)

This will stop the screen from scrolling left/right.

The Doctor
11-18-2004, 04:02 AM
There's no way for me to know if the problem is the burner itself or the software. The only software I have used since I started with CD burner's years ago was Nero Burning Rom. www.nero.com (http://www.nero.com) Actually, that's not 100% true. I did for a short time use CDRwin, but was not very fond of it. Have also used EZ CD Creator on a friend's Dell, was much too toy like, but never really had any trouble burning with it.

I also had a USB burner which i used to switch between my notebooks, occasionally use on a friend's computer since he did not have his own burner. Never had a single problem because of the USB interface. USB is nothing special, it's just another way to hook a device up to a computer.

What is your problem with downloading 20MB over a dial-up connection? You're talking about maybe an hour and 15 minutes on a good connection, perhaps a little over two hours on a noisy connection. Set the computer up to download before you go to bed, it will be done in the morning.

As to Iomega, I tried one of their parallel-port zip drive's years back, and was not overly impressed. I tend to agree that their software usually sucks. I have not personally known anybody who has owned in Iomega CD burner, so I can't tell you if anybody has had success with them, whether or not you keep it is up to you. If it still returnable, maybe taking it back is your best bet. If you had it too long to return, try downloading their updates, or try downloading Nero Burning Rom.

Nero has a free demo, I believe one months. After that I think it costs around $60. If you don't want to spend any money to fix this problem, go to www.nonags.com (http://www.nonags.com) and look under CD burning software. There is a freeware applications out there that some people have told me is quite good, but being a Nero owner I have not tried it.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask me. I have quite a bit of experience with burning CDs, and that a lot of spare time on my hands to discuss it.

Ed

[This message has been edited by The Doctor (edited 11-18-2004).]

ftownroe
11-18-2004, 01:27 PM
I had a similar problem with USB CD burners. My poor wife returned two different brands (Iomega and HP) for me and when the third one ( an Acer, if memory serves) wouldn't work I took a different approach and downloaded the latest software from Roxio, the program they all used. That cured my problems. It was not the hardware supplier software but rather the Roxio CD creator that needed to be updated.

------------------
Fred Townroe

J Tiers
11-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the info..

Downloading 20 meg?

Usually, by about 5 or 6 meg, my connection "gets bored" and dumps....seems the ISP wants to see more activity going out, or they tag the connection as "inactive" and dump it if they need the channel.

Or, the phone line has a hiccup and dumps the connection due to too many errors.

I think it is unrealistic to expect that size of download, but they probably think only a chump would have a dialup...and maybe they are right.....in NYC.

I'd have to get a cable modem, I don't think DSL reaches me yet, even though I'm just over 1.5 miles from a phone switching hub.

And I don't need either one for 99% of all my internet usage....

Since I have only had the thing a few days, I think I can return it.....but then what? All the burners are made by the same 2 or 3 chinese companies anyway, so as you say, the hardware isn't likely the real issue. Maybe because its iomega, there is some stuff that only works with theirs...and won't work with 3rd party software.

But, iomega doesn't even write the software, the support is actually from a separate company which IS the "author". So really iomega is fairly "hollow", they don't have much of their own content in the product.

lenord
11-18-2004, 01:48 PM
I have gotten a USB CD burner to work. I got it on sale at Compusa. It does just fine with data and music for the PC (MP3 files).

It will not make audio tracks that will play on all of my CD music players, but will on my newer CD players...The software that it uses is called Roxio.

It can be done.

FWIW
Lenord

The Doctor
11-18-2004, 04:10 PM
J Tiers, I understand what you're saying about the phone connection, but the computer can be set to automatically redial the connection if it's dropped. Also, your browser should support resume, and most of the servers now that also support resume. This means that you should be able to pick up the file where you left off. If that is your main problem with downloading, send me a link to the files you need to download and I will download them for you. Then I will break them up into small chunks, something like half a meg to a full meg, whatever size you like and uploaded them to my private web space. This way you can download it piece by piece with absolutely no problem. As I have a cable connection, that would take less effort than posting this message.

As to how much of the package is actually made by Iomega, I would say probably just the name on the box. You already know the software is not made by them, and I would be very surprised if they actually manufacture the CD burner either. The card that ties the USB interface into the drives IDE interface is also a pretty standard off-the-shelf item from what I have seen, although perhaps they get somebody to custom mold a funky looking plastic box to put it all together in.

My strongest suggestion to you is that you blow out their crummy software and give Nero a try. The trouble you save just might be your own :-)

If you wish to reach me, my e-mail address is marconi30@comcast.net I will be glad to assist you in any way that I can.

Ed

Chester
11-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Evan, always wondered how you "tagged" those long ones, but could never ask 'cause I didn't know what it was called. Could you spell that out? What you show is "greek" to me (and maybe others)

Thanks

Chester

nheng
11-18-2004, 05:52 PM
If any of you guys have problems getting other players to read CDRs which you've burnt, try to use a blank CDRW instead of a blank CDR. The reflectivity is different on these. I use them on my Sony DVD/CD disk changer which absolutely refused CDRs.
Den

J Tiers
11-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Well, I returned the thing. I don't know what it's problem was, aside from being an iomega product.

I do know, with no aplologies for language, that it was the sorriest piece of $hit I have ever had the displeasure of trying to make work.

I did get their upgrade. Wife got it over a fast connection at work, and transferred to a Zip disk (!).

When installed, that actually made some more stuff work. It would start to select files, which it never did before. But it never did get to the point of actually burning a CD. It always locked up somewhere in the file selection process, or just as the "create CD" button was pushed.

I have never had to reboot so many times before. It got to where I had to pull the plug.

Never buy ANYTHING from iomega....shoulda known better.

tattoomike68
11-19-2004, 06:12 AM
I know there must be a usb bottle neck error in some items.

I put an acer 1x2 cd buner in my old hp pavilion 6460 in 1998 and that old slow sucker still burns disk, no problem (20-40 minutes).

my new machine takes less than 5 minutes.

you did the right thing to take the POS back. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif