PDA

View Full Version : Boring

PSD KEN
11-18-2004, 10:39 PM
In the latest Live steam mag. In the Shay article, he line bored, reamed the block, bearing caps in the lathe, using an angle plate.
Would this be better than using a mill? Looks like a pita, dialing in the plate and the block.
Hope this makes sense, sucking uo pain pills (hernia operation yesterday.

BillH
11-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Kozo as far as I know has a 3 in 1 emco machine, so perhaps for him, it was better than using the tiny mill.

CCWKen
11-18-2004, 11:20 PM
One-time setup for line boring is a PITA no matter what machine you use. It may be easier to setup on the horizontal though. A true line-bore should be indexed off the cylinder bore(s).

Evan
11-19-2004, 01:22 AM
I'll be doing some line boring of bearing blocks in the not too distant future on the lathe. I'll take some pics.

PSD KEN
11-19-2004, 03:15 PM
I've seen plenty of pics, merely inquiring as to which would be the most accurate method.
As to indicating off cylinders, in most steamers we have a cylinder block and a bearing/crankhaft block.
Which results in two rods, piston and connecting, coupled thru the crosshead.
Which in turn gives us more thingies to watch going up/down, round and round, etc.
So, with a tandem, crosscompond, Corliss type, we have plenty to watch!

[This message has been edited by PSD KEN (edited 11-19-2004).]

[This message has been edited by PSD KEN (edited 11-19-2004).]

JCHannum
11-19-2004, 04:16 PM
Kozo uses the equipment he has available to do the job. Line boring on the lathe is no more or less accurate than other methods, providing proper attention is paid to details.

I think Kozo purposely uses the minimum of machines to demonstrate the work can be done without a major cash outlay, and make it simpler for the beginning hobbiest to get involved in the live steam hobby.

BillH
11-19-2004, 05:32 PM
If your cross slide doesnt have t slots in it though, you either have to make one that does, or use a mill. I have his older Shay book and his Pennsy A3. Currently building an A3.

Evan
11-19-2004, 05:40 PM
There are other ways to hold work Bill...