PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a HF Tool grinder

BillH
11-15-2004, 12:40 AM
Well, its my early christmas present, the Syracuse store had a store special on it for 119$ AS others have said, it comes with 2 green silicon carbide wheels. I however do not use carbide much at all, and need wheels for grinding HSS. Perhaps I miscalculated on this grinder, as it appears it is hard to find metal backed 6" wheels in aluminum silcon.
Enco shows some wheels, but they are listed under surface grinder wheels, and the pictures alone do not convince me that they are what I need.
The grinder itself seams pretty nice for the price. I did however have to debur the tables from where the slots were cut, and reface the valve seat on the drip cup, other than that, it seams like a great value.

Joel
11-15-2004, 01:19 AM
J&L sells a Hertel A/O wheel for HSS, PN: BVCPW-14210H, $24.95 on sale.

Michael Az
11-15-2004, 01:27 AM
Seems like MSC also has them.
Michael

BillH
11-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Thanks for locating these wheels for me.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 11-15-2004).]

Ben Diss
11-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Bill- Which wheels did you decide on. I'm in the same position as you right now. Also, did you figure out how to rig the water tube?

BillH
11-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Ben Diss, still thinking the wheels over, however there is not much choice. Both Enco and MSC have the same exact discrepencie in their online search function for the wheels, which makes me believe they are both the same company. The search engine states the wheels they have are Aluminum Oxide, but in the catalog with the same reference number, they are clearly labled as silicon carbide.

I am going to go with J&L since they have the best price. Mcmaster Carr also has the wheels, but they are american made ones that cost over 75$. The J&L wheel though is 46 grit, I hope I can get a smooth enough finish with that.
As for the water cup, it leaked all over the table, and after machining the gasket pocket down and removed the 2nd layer of gasket material which was cut and not complete, works fine now. Im just going to dip the tool into the cup when it gets hot.

neonman
11-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Yall, I just recently bought this same grinder too. I bought an aluminim oxide wheel from KBC Tool. I believe it was around $30.

My grinder vibrates a lot when going through certain RPMs when starting or slowing down to a stop. Is this normal? Is it the wheels being a little out of balance perhaps? How can I fix this?

neonman

BillH
11-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Neonman, my grinder is smooth as it speeds up, runs and slows down. Perhaps you should try dressing your wheels with a diamond dresser to true them up.

CCWKen
11-15-2004, 08:39 PM
WATCH THAT ROCKER SWITCH!

On the one I "had", I pushed a piece of wire into the drip tube. Put a loop in one end to hold it in the tube and keep it from going into the valve. Bend the tube to the desired curve and the wire holds it in place.

ibewgypsie
11-15-2004, 09:53 PM
I converted a old 1hp grinder into a belt sander.

I got used to sharpening drill bits on it. I sold it with a bunch of polishing equipment to a friend who had more room. I have not been able to get a drill bit sharp since. I could shave with a large drill I sharpened.. Not got there since.. He uses it and I ain't getting it back. I used it to polish stainless mostly.. so when I quit doing a lot of that it went..

IF you had the proper jig to get a mill up to the belt at the angle needed.. it'd be so easy..

I have been sketching on paper for about two hours and not got there yet..

AND, years ago, I had a friend who had a eye loupe with the drill angle point scribed in it, it made it easy.. ANYONE KNOW WHERE THEY COME FROM? You just line up the drill/size

I just got back from a trip around MSC and GRAINGER.. no specialty loupes..

HOW about a microscope for a computer camera? ANY clues? this needs to be about 20x.. EVAN? are ya listening? I got this HUGE old television telephoto lens( from when the news cameras were as big as a truck motor..).. It has a big ole lens.. should I dissect it for parts?

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-15-2004).]

ttok
11-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Try Titan Tool or Titan Industries (in New York state) via Google - they make/import many different optical devices for machinists - optical centering scopes, tool maker's microscopes, AND drill microscopes with several drill angles in the reticle. Cost for the latter is about $150, as I recall. They make two sizes - mine is for drills above 1/2" - bought it on Ebay, but they are infrequent there and sometimes more than new cost. Toolmaker's microscope on Ebay was real cheap compared to new cost. Who knows what an auction will bring?? You lay the drill down in the drill microscope and you can see the end geometry.

BillH
11-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Just got my Hertel AO grinding wheel for my grinder. I had to take my dremel and grind out the lower section on the grinder guard casting to get enough clearence for the Wheel. They are a tad over size.